"Silver Nugget" Teardrop Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Spars

Postby down under tech » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:04 am

Hey all: I got some of the spars laminated with Gorilla Glue last night & this morning. The ones pictured below are Poplar doubles for regular spars in low load bearing applications.

These in the next two pics are the doubled up spars for front overhead cabinets and the triple one is for the hatch These are all oak.

I picked up this faucet that needs a good cleaning and a water pump from Mr. RV yesterday as well as a converter, but I need to take it back and exchange it. This one doesn't have a battery charger in it. I might just get a Battery Tender Plus instead of using a converter.

I got two propane camping lanterns at the surplus store, also. $14 each. "Don't tell Pam" one is a TD warming present, so to speak. I will give it to her today when I see her.

Well, I need to get going to meet Pam M so I can fix her frame extension. Pics to come later.

See you Guys & Dolls then. :D
Last edited by down under tech on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Spars Are Installed, Now...

Postby down under tech » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:31 am

Hi everyone: I didn't get much done on my TD over the last two weeks. I helped Pam M. last weekend redo her chassis extension that was screwed up by someone that had no idea of what he was doing. Our work turned out much better than what was done by him. You will find her build at the link below.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=36407

This is what was done to Pam's frame before I saw it. Look at that "BOW" in the middle of the cross member. It was a hack job.

Here is me doing another hack job. Now, wait, this hack job is for the greater cause. It gets better.

See, I told you so. This is just a "little" better fabrication. Do you like the before or the after pics ??? Pam has a nice rear end. Ah, come on guys, get your minds out of the gutter. I mean her trailer's "rear end". :lol:

OK, on to my TD. I got the 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" spars (using two 1x2s) glued up with Gorilla Glue this week using poplar and oak. I was able to install them on the "Silver Nugget" this evening. I still need to install the two spars for the fantastic vent that I do not have yet. I have the spars made up and I will add them later on.

You can see that I used oak triples laminated for the hatch spar. I also used oak doubles for the front upper cabinets. I want these locations to be able to hold up for the hinges continuos opening and closings of the hatch & cabinet doors.

Tomorrow, I am going to tow it to Pam M's house to show it to her. I am sure I will be helping her when she needs help on her TD. That is no biggie to me because I will then be able to build a Benroy, too.

This is starting to look like something. I am not sure what, but it looks like a mini-camper. What do you think? :thinking:
Last edited by down under tech on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:47 am

Lookin' like a teardrop from this angle Johnny 8) You're gettin' there!
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby grizz » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:54 am

I have quite a bit of processing to do today, like the table top and louvre door frame I picked up at the tip this week, however, looking at your trailer that does look like a Teardrop now, with the spars on, I do want the sides up by weekend.

I am sure you will be even more Mojo'd when building at Pam's.
Being alone is less than perfect when building. Nicola is off shopping at 11am today with a friend..... maybe it means time to get stuff done. It is almost 9am now, so I can start making some noise. 8)
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby down under tech » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:00 am

Shaun: Thanks, It seems like I am now starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope it is not a fast moving freight train. If it is the case, is there room along side of the tracks that I can step back so I don't get hit by that train? If I can keep up at somewhat of a steady pace, I will be able to "Go Camping" at a campground near you, sometime this summer. :applause:

grizz: Your day is about half over by the time mine starts here in the Wild West. I want to see a bunch of picts of all of that "Processing" you have gotten accomplished this week-end, though. OK, tea time is over, now get back to work! It is now "tear time". :o
Last edited by down under tech on Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby Pam M » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:20 am

Johnny D.

Great job! Your tear drop is getting personality! I really like that shape and if I have to redo my walls I just might borrow the shape, but in my 5x10 size.

What is a battery tender? Can you explain?
Pam M. is in Reno, Nevada
My Build Journal for "Miss Independence"
A 5x10 Benroy started March 2010
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewto ... sc&start=0
Pam M
Teardrop Builder

Postby down under tech » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:07 am

Hi Pam: Thanks for your interest in my TD build. My build is based on the Kuffel Creek "Cubby" TD that I got plans for. They have plans for a 5x10 version called the "Comet" that is like the "Trailer for Two". It kind of looks like mine except it is bigger.

A Battery Tender Plus is just a smart battery charger. It will charge up your battery and it goes into a float mode. This charges the battery at a slower rate so it doesn't overcharge your battery. This keeps the battery topped off (fully charged) without boiling out all of the liquid from inside the battery. This makes your battery last longer.

You can see for your self about the Battery Tender Plus on the link listed below. This link is for the ladies out there and the men who care about them.

http://batterytender.com/pink-battery-tender-plus-12v-at-1-25a.html

Have a nice week end. :thumbsup:
Last edited by down under tech on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby sagebrush » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:36 pm

GREAT PROGRESS :thumbsup: :applause:
We had battery tenders for our bikes. They work GREAT!
Will
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:35 pm

Nice "do-over" on Pam's trailer. I hope the original guy didn't charge her much for materials, cuz it looks like he built it out of scrap or crap from the drop pile. Nothing wrong with joining a couple of pieces together, but most people clamp them to a piece of material to keep them in line when welding.

Your trailer looks great!...you'll be camping before you know it. If you are going to use the door cut outs for the doors, make sure that you keep them flat. Don't lean them against the wall in the garage, once cupped they are a bugger to get flat again....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby down under tech » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:53 pm

sagebrush: I have a Battery Tender Waterproof 5 amp that I have had for a couple of years that I use on the yellow step van you can see in some of my pictures since I don't drive it too much. It always starts up since I use the battery tender on it. I will use a 7 terminal RV plug on the Cubby and it will charge up from the car's charging system while I drive to the next camping location. I will have a 120v AC hookup on it and the Battery Tender will keep it charged up during these camp-ins where 120v power is available or while it is parked at home between trips. I plan to use 12v DC LED bulbs in my light fixtures. I should have plenty of "POWER".
P.S. I "LOVE" your TD's sides with that engine turned look.

Mr. Doug: Thanks for your approval of my fabrication and welding skills. It means a lot to me that you comment so highly of my work since you too do excellent work, yourself. :thumbsup:

Is this what you mean?

After primer & before gloss black paint.

You are right he did use used scrap crap that was way to flimsy for this use. I needed to get rid of the old cobbled up extension so I leaned it up against my storage unit door when I left for the night and you know what? Someone stoled it, I hope they took it in for scrap like what should of happened to it in the first place. That was what I was hoping for, yes !!! :thinking:

On my TD, I will have to remove the spars to make up my inner wall skins and to insulate the walls. I needed to put them up so I could mark for the places I need to cut out the wall skins to clear the spars. I marked the left side of them as to their location with the matching A, B, C ect. as I marked each spars location. I used a bar of soap and I rubbed it on the screws along with drilling a pilot hole before installing the screws and they went in very easily. It will make it easier when I reinstall the spars and all of the holes will line up properly since you can never drill all of the holes in the exact same place in all spars.

I made up the bulkheads for the cabinets to the same width as the floor (47 1/4") and the walls are bowed out some where the upper bulkhead is to attach to the walls. Good thing I can pull the walls in to place against the bulkheads with glue & screws. I didn't think of the door inserts warping and I just had them leaning up against the wall in my spare bedroom. Right after I read your post, I laid them flat on the floor and placed a thick piece of plywood and some weight on the sandwiched pieces to keep all of it flat. Thanks for that tip. It is the people with your experience that helps us first time builders. :oops:

On Saturday, Pam & I went to Mr. RV (that is what I call him) and got a bunch of stuff out of a pick-up camper from 1968 and I got some cool small diamond textured aluminum panels that were inside used as trim. I will use these two panels inside my TD somewhere. I don't know where yet but stay tuned. We got some counter face trim of aluminum and a great piece of aluminum used to hang your clothes hangers on. I will post pictures of this stuff as soon as I can take some pics. Pam got a nice SS sink and a hand water pump from it, too. We removed the appliances for Mr. RV since he is 84 years old and he gave us a good deal on the parts we got for our builds. Remember, if you help people out they will think highly of you and then they might give you a deal. It only took us a little extra time to pull the appliances. ;)

Good night, I have to work 13 hours tomorrow. I am going to bed. :peace:
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:48 pm

Update Update Update: Hi everyone: I went to HD today and I got the ply for the inside roof and I got some oak 1/4" ply for the walls. I picked up more wall stud material of pine 1x2s.

I was able to frame up the Fantastic fan roof vent oak double spars and attach them to the walls. I am still waiting for my fan and I borrowed Pam M's fan to frame out the opening for mine since we both are using the same fan. I used my Kreg Jig to attach the braces between the two oak double spars. I used three screws as well as PL Premium construction adhesive at the joints. There is one screw on the top of the fan frame and two from the bottom side. "Overbuild" rears it's ugly head again.

Here is a couple of pics of the aluminum trim panels Pam and I got last week-end from a 1968 cabover pick-up truck camper. It is really cool looking. I will use the back side since it is still like new except for the contact cement on it. It should clean up just fine with some acetone. When I use it in my build, it will have the reverse pattern as that which is shown in my pics since it will be flipped over so you will be seeing the bottom then. The pieces I have are 18" x 24". Maybe cabinet door panels ???

Isn't that cool???

[img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=64458][/img]

Hopefully more to come tomorrow. Please stand buy. :)
Last edited by down under tech on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby grizz » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:18 am

That build is scary its so neat.

The ally panels are going to make a difference for sure.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:07 am

Looks great Johnny!!!....really making some progress now. As a side bar....plenty of trailers going to be at Shasta Lake Ca. next weekend...like 70 or so, weather permitting...just sayin'.....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby down under tech » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:16 am

grizz: I hope it doesn't get too scary for you. It is scary for me at times. But just keep telling yourself "It's only a movie". :ok: You are doing a fair bit of work on your tear, too. It is coming along as well. We will see who gets done first. Take care, grizz!

Doug: Thank you, sir. Piece by piece, some day I can say it is done. It has taken me some time, but it is very gratifying to see it take each step as it goes along. This blog makes me want to keep building it so I can post the progress to keep all of you updated as things go and some plans change. This part of the build is pretty much routine to the veteran TD builders out there. The fun part of the build is when I can start adding the touches that show my tastes and personality in the details and finishes I choose. :D

I wish I could go to Shasta next week end, but I will have more fun when I can drag the "Silver Nugget" over the hill (Donner Pass) after it is done and meet you folks who have "Gold Nugget" TDs in California.

Well guys, I better get with it if I am going to build a TD today. See Ya and Have a good week end !!! :thumbsup:
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Bulkheads Installed

Postby down under tech » Sat May 01, 2010 12:24 am

Whaz Up ??? Hi you guys: I have not worked on my TD for a couple of weeks. I was helping Pam M. (Miss Independence) get her TD's walls ready to put up and attached to her floor. I got some more done today on the Silver Nugget. I installed the two bulkheads that I made up a couple of weeks ago using my Kreg Jig. I love this tool. It is so easy to use and fast, did I say how fast it was to make up these bulkheads ??? This really stiffened up the walls and the TD was level when I put them on using PL premium poly adhesive. I planed to use one bulkhead going horizontally from the counter to the front of the cabin cabinets. I set the front bulkhead up 3/4" higher than the lower (rear) one using some spacers I made out of pine so that bulk head will slide in from the rear of the TD and I will screw it from the outside of the trailer walls as well as into the top of the rear bulkhead and to the bottom of the front (upper) bulkhead with PL premium. This should give the counter and cabinets plenty of support.

I want to get the wall studs installed on my TD tomorrow and cut the inner walls out of the 1/4" oak plywood I got last week end. I need to remove all of the spars to do this. It should be easy to reinstall the spars later since I marked each spar for their location. All of the screw holes will line up too. I need to finish putting up the inner frame around the door openings. I am using oak in the fronts of the door openings to attach the hinges so the screws won't pull out and the doors don't fall off.

I picked up my fenders yesterday from a local trailer shop, (Kro-Built). They are for 14" & 15" wheels and measure 9" wide by 32" long and 15" high. $17.50 each. They have the back skirts pre installed. I am using 14" wheels & tires. There is less road spray going to be deposited on the sides of the TD. I will paint them to match the frame. I would like to coat them with Line X or something like that so sand and rocks don't rip the paint off the leading edge of the fenders and then have them rust up. I hate when that happens. Do you guys know what product I can use and still be able to paint over it? The guy at the trailer shop said they make color matched stuff I could use but I want it to match my frame's color. That is why I want to paint them after the bed liner goes on.
Any suggestions ??? 8)

Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals