"Silver Nugget" Teardrop Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby atahoekid » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:38 am

Looking good Johnny!!! Do you think you're going to make it by the end of June? The weather certainly isn't helping. Keep at it!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:39 am

She's looking great Johnny! It's got to feel wonderful getting the skin on. I can't wait to see the Silver Nugget in person.

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:24 pm

atahoekid: Thanks, It gets better all the time I am able to work on it. I don't know if it will be done by the end of the month. I have a week's vacation coming up in a couple of weeks. It depends on the weather???

Dave: Thanks and yes, it does feel good to be to that point in the build.
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Update, 06-08-2011

Postby down under tech » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:48 pm

I worked on the hatch the last few nights. I insulated it. I only used one layer of 3/4" foam because the hatch does not need to be insulated. I did it for sound deadening.

I then cut out the areas needed for the LED tail lights and the license plate light.

I cut the aluminum that will cover the hatch and drilled the holes for the lights.

Tonight, I ran the wiring in the hatch and cut the hole for the latch handle. No picture of that though. I used a flat four wire trailer connector so if I need to, I can remove the hatch at a later date if necessary. I hooked it up to my TV and checked the lights and all of them work great.

I will skin the inside of the hatch next. They are calling for good weather the rest of the week. I have heard that before. :ilovecamp:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:35 am

Looking good Johnny and we all know you will need the Sound deadening being newly weds! Keep up the good work bud.

Cliff[/list]
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:44 am

CliffinGA wrote:Looking good Johnny and we all know you will need the Sound deadening being newly weds! Keep up the good work bud.

Cliff[/list]

^^^^^^ Wot he sed :lol:
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DMcCam » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:57 am

Man is that sweeet Johnny!!! Would you mind letting me know where did you get your tail lights and license plate holder? They are exactly what I've been looking for.

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Dave: Thanks, I got my tail lights from Kro-Built Trailer Repair off of Fourth street by the freeway (I-80) in Reno. They are LEDs and they are surface mount. Very easy to install. The license plate light is from www.bugcity.com They had the best price on them. It is for an old VW Beetle.

Cliff and Grizz: Funny... I ment that the insulation was to keep "out" noises like rain on the hatch or other out side noises. :roll:
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Update, 06-15-2011

Postby down under tech » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:32 pm

Hello: I coated the outside of the TD roof and the hatch with three coats of spar urethane to waterproof it before I install the aluminum.

I finally got the front overhead cabinet figured out how to install it. The center portion is to hold the RV stereo/CD player.

Here it is screwed in place inside the TD. I have the oak plywood ready to cover the bottom of the cabinet. I cut the pieces out and today I applied spar urethane on them with two coats.
I will install them tomorrow after they are good and dry.

Last edited by down under tech on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:53 pm

Lookin' real fine Johnny! I like your forward cabinet design. Heck, I like all of it 8) :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:55 pm

Johnny I like how you did your front cabinets. The way I see it now, slap on the doors, throw in an air mattress and you're ready to go camping and before your "end of June" self imposed deadline. The final touches can wait... you gotta break that beauty in!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: . Even if it's someplace close like Boca or Stampede. Maybe Davis Lake? You got something to be proud of. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:25 am

Shaun: Thank you.. It will be small, but it does look nice. Today after work, I will finish it up. Except for the cabinet doors I can do them next week while I am on vacation.

Mel: We are going to go to Prosser Reservoir up near Truckee, CA for our first outing. Hopefully next week end, the 25th.
Last edited by down under tech on Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby grizz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:32 am

Your build continues to be inspiring, and this pic made me smile....

Great when a plan comes together.

Great work as always JD.

Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby grizz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:34 am

down under tech wrote:Dave: Thanks, I got my tail lights from Kro-Built Trailer Repair off of Fourth street by the freeway (I-80) in Reno. They are LEDs and they are surface mount. Very easy to install. The license plate light is from www.bugcity.com They had the best price on them. It is for an old VW Beetle.

Cliff and Grizz: Funny... I ment that the insulation was to keep "out" noises like rain on the hatch or other out side noises.
:roll:

PS: That's what we meant too :)
Greetings from England.

Rian.

grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:18 pm

Looking great Johnny!!h :thinking: Spar urethane eh? Hmm thats a heck of alot cheaper than epoxy. I'm almost ay that point and wasn't sure I wanted to epoxy or get cpes. Now you have me thinkimg about that.

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals