"Silver Nugget" Teardrop Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Pup-date 3-31-2010

Postby down under tech » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi Guys & Gals: I know everyone here loves dogs. I took some time to snap some photos of my two Chihuahuas. The brown one is a male named "Brownie" and the tan one is a female and her name is "Peaches". They are very good even though Peaches loves to chew up anything she can get into her mouth. I have to watch where I lay things down so she isn't able to get them. Brownie is very low key and he behaves well. He has the coolest brown color that I have see on a Chihuahua. I can get him to speak by pointing my index finger at him. It also helps if I say, Who wants to go outside? They both can't wait until the "Silver Nugget" is finished so we all can go camping.

I am off to Lowes to get more material for the TD. Spars and wood for the bulkheads. I hope to have a real update with the walls attached to the floor soon. Stand by. Have a good one,

Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Used RV parts

Postby Pam M » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:53 pm

I just wanted to share; I think I found a gold mine in Reno for used RV parts. This man disassembles trailers that have caught on fire and sells the parts.

I bought doors, stove, vent with fan, and a few others tonight and left still wanting more but it was cold and windy....

pam

Just for the renoites that need used parts; which I think I saved more than 1/2 the price of new tonight.
Pam M. is in Reno, Nevada
My Build Journal for "Miss Independence"
A 5x10 Benroy started March 2010
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewto ... sc&start=0
Pam M
Teardrop Builder

Pam M's Discount Used RV Parts

Postby down under tech » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:16 pm

Hi Pam: First, I want to welcome you to the forum. Tell me more, Please. I still need more parts for my build. I was trying to find an RV salvage yard here in Reno, but no luck. I know a guy in Carson City that junks out old travel trailers. I bought the frame for the stake bed trailer I built last year. It was an old pop-up tent trailer. I just used it tonight to get wood from Lowes in Sparks for my ceiling spars and bulkhead for galley. I have a pic of the trailer in my album, if you would like to check it out. Pam you can email me or PM me the info on the parts.

Thanks for the lead. Talk at you soon & "Good Luck" on your build. We need details, design, size, ect. & lots of pictures, too.
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Re: Pup-date 3-31-2010

Postby mandy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:00 am

down under tech wrote:Hi Guys & Gals: I know everyone here loves dogs. I took some time to snap some photos of my two Chihuahuas. The brown one is a male named "Brownie" and the tan one is a female and her name is "Peaches". They are very good even though Peaches loves to chew up anything she can get into her mouth. I have to watch where I lay things down so she isn't able to get them. Brownie is very low key and he behaves well. He has the coolest brown color that I have see on a Chihuahua. I can get him to speak by pointing my index finger at him. It also helps if I say, Who wants to go outside? They both can't wait until the "Silver Nugget" is finished so we all can go camping.

I am off to Lowes to get more material for the TD. Spars and wood for the bulkheads. I hope to have a real update with the walls attached to the floor soon. Stand by. Have a good one,

Love the "Puppys" :) :thumbsup:
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Tear Drop parts in Reno...

Postby Pam M » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:52 am

The guy is out on 4th street (not what you think :) ) , he has been there for 40 plus years. Down by Patagonia; do you know where I mean? I drove by there is morning and used my gps for his address because I could not find an address

7800 4th Street. It is just his house, so don't be "shy" when you go there, just start asking people where somebody is who can help you with some parts you need to buy.

When this gentleman used to work, he would buy trailers that caught on fire, rebuild them and sell them. He now just takes them apart and sells the parts somehow. Everything is on a "cash" basis, he is 85 years old and the most helpful man in the world. He was very interested in my trailer build and wanted me to bring it over to his house, so he could "tinker" too....

I was there for 3 hours yesterday and initially thought it was a waste of my time looking through all this stuff, then I realized I was just in overwhelmed mode looking through 100's of used windows for about $30.00 each. I picked two then changed my mind when I found two others later etc. etc.. and he walked me inside of trailers that had a part here and a part there and great big semi's full of stuff, it was basically Disneyland for me! He definately knows his "retail" prices of things and he basically charges you 1/2.

He also has a HUGE roll of 4' wide aluminum if you are planning on putting on an aluminum top or sides.

HEY!!!! Want to take a field trip with me? We will go together. I still need the converter from 100 to 12v and a few other stuff. I am telling you.... he has everything we ever would need or want including lights. BRING CASH!

It is "just me" building my trailer and I was intimidated and bascially stuck on the doors... just could not mentally get past that part, yesterday I bought doors $100/ea and now I have the frames and everything I need, so it is back to full steam ahead...

HAVE FUN! I am so glad to have passed this information on to you.

I have been watching your build and would really like to see it in person.
We are just about at the same point, YOU and your wife build really really fast!

Pam
Pam M. is in Reno, Nevada
My Build Journal for "Miss Independence"
A 5x10 Benroy started March 2010
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewto ... sc&start=0
Pam M
Teardrop Builder

Postby nevadatear » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:11 am

Dave mcam are you listening? He is planning to cover his in aluminum.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:49 am

Ohhhh baby, I'm all over this!!! Thanks Pam for sharing this with us. I will have more time next week to get over to his place for a look-see. We could organize that field trip of yours! It would be great to meet both you and Johnny.

Cheers, Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:14 am

Great find Pam! Who would have thought, right in our back yard? Nice to know. :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Parts, Parts, Parts & More Parts !!!

Postby down under tech » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:54 pm

Pam: Thank you so much. I am not sure what you mean by the 4th St quote. (LOL) Don't you mean a "Silver Mine" of parts??? Nevada,"The Silver State". Is Patagonia a street name? I will check on my Tom Tom GPS I think that is what you mean. East 4th or West 4th ? I guess I will find out on the GPS.

You were there for 3 hours? Did he give you a time card? (LOL) I can't wait until I go over there. I get paid tomorrow and only have a couple of bills to pay, so look out parts guy.

Yes to the aluminum sheets. I will cover my TD in this, hence the "Silver Nugget" theme.

I am open to a field trip sometime this week-end. High Desert Shaun & DMcCam Dave, you are welcome to go along.
Nevadatear; Debbie & Randy, I know you are outside of Reno, but If you want some aluminum, I will get details for you if you would like. Did you go to the DMV and order your NVTEAR license plate yet? It is available, I checked on it when I got my TEARDRP plate.

Pam is your trailer a teardrop or a tiny travel trailer? I don't think you said, and where are the pics, hum ??? I would like to meet all of the tear-droppers in the Reno area. Maybe we can pick a day and meet for dinner.

Pam, I will PM you my phone number.
P.S. I am building my TD by myself, too. FYI, There is no Mrs. Johnny, though.

Where is spring? Is it ever going to get here? :worship:
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:27 pm

Johnny, you have a time in mind yet for Saturday? :thinking:

as for spring, it seems to have come and gone at least three times......today :?
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Parts or Dinner ???

Postby down under tech » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:39 pm

I need to wait for Pam's reply. I will let you know then, Shaun.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Johnny, haven't had time to get that plate yet. Maybe for my our anniversary, it is coming up soon! Dave, can't wait to see your tear covered in Aluminum. Johnny, Pam means the Patagonia outlet store/office building on/off 4th in old Reno by the river. Great building, got lots of awards for greenness. You guys need to get your stuff done so we can do a north Nevada gathering! Wish you all were coming to the Glyphs to freeze with the rest of us! But, we did it without a tear last year, and camping in the back of the car with snow was no fun. Have fun with your 2nd hand searching. We have ours pretty much done after adding the tongue box and tables last week, at least until we see something on someone else's we like!
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Thanks Debbie

Postby down under tech » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:06 pm

Thanks Debbie? I think that is who I am talking to. I guess you mean West 4th and West McCarran area.

Remember the old cartoon on TV that had a turtle and he always said, "It'll get done, It'll get done" that's pretty much what I think. I'm sure both Pam & I will be finished up in plenty of time for later this year.

I do have a 5x8 cargo trailer I could use, but it would be cold. No insulation, Burr !!! :snowstorm:
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:40 pm

Yup, it's Debbie. Randy talks through my fingers sometimes, but he is no typist, he's the machinist, I'm the nurse. Your builds are looking good and with your progress you WILL be done soon. It is worth it!
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Re: Pup-date 3-31-2010

Postby TheOtherSean » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:46 pm

down under tech wrote:Hi Guys & Gals: I know everyone here loves dogs.

Of course I love dogs. They're best roasted. :lol:
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals