Wanderlust Build Thread - Updates after two years!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Moving along !!

Postby Chuckles2153 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:18 am

I just finished looking and reading your build thread and you're building that thang at light speeeeed !!! :applause: I really like the bay window, No love it!! :thumbsup: I wish i had read your thread before i cut out my doors.
And i see what you mean about your shop being more airy :bounce: Rest assured that i'll be moving outside soon since i don't have the room to have the trailer in there also.

Awesome TD PA, Chuck :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Chuckles2153
Teardrop Master

Postby parnold » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:14 am

Thanks Chuck! I love the big window too, I figure it will make it a little less chlostrophobic inside.

I'll have lot's more pictures up tonight, I'm waiting right now for the induction time on my epoxy, 15 minutes and I'll be priming, and then in a couple hours will be putting on the topcoat.

It's perfect weather today, just cool enough so not too many bugs, but warm enough to not adversely affect the cure time of the epoxy and topcoat.

I'm excited to say the least!

:wakka wakka:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:45 pm

Well now I'm waiting for the paint to dry.. got a lot done already today and it's only 2:30 in the afternoon.

I mixed up 48oz of epoxy primer, just enough to do the trailer and fenders, but you can see in the foreground of this picture, a tongue box I stole off my old Fleetwing trailer. I didn't have enough primer for that.. bummers.

Here's the trailer with two coats of silver acrylic enamel on it. I put a third coat on but didn't take a picture.. doesn't really look much different anyway.

This morning, while I was waiting for it to warm up to near 70 degrees, I did the vinyl for my rear hatch. My vinyl cutter will only cut 10 inches wide, so I broke the image into two parts to get it bigger.

I carefully lined up the two parts, and taped it down so I could apply the transfer tape.

Transfer tape applied...

And finally, the moment you've all been waiting for... the finished hatch!

The name took me four tries to get it cut correctly. The cutter can be a little tempermental sometimes, and I had to finally sit and babysit the entire cut so the cutter wouldn't jam as it was cycling the 20" piece of vinyl back and forth. Of course the name is not perfectly centered, but most people will not notice, so I left it.

I'm real happy with how it turned out!

If I have any ambition left, I'll mix up some more epoxy primer and spray the tongue box, then topcoat it. Right now I'm lounging in my lazy boy, and I'm so happy with my progress that I may never get up.

:lol:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:04 pm

:applause: :applause:

Really looks great! That door is awesome!!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks Zach!

I'm hoping to have the doors and windows on by this weekend so I can take one of those trailer attached to car pictures, with the tongue jack up of course!

:lol:

by any chance are you planning on going to the Parvin gathering in June? I've got the days scheduled off work, so as long as the trailer doesn't fall apart on her maiden voyage I'll be there.
parnold
Donating Member

eagle graphic

Postby dandan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi,
the build is looking great. :applause:
cracking progress being made.
that eagle graphic is something else.
do post some piccies when she is hooked up to your tow vehicle.

best rgds dan. :thumbsup:
Nostalgia's not what it used to be !!!
dandan
Roswell Club

Postby parnold » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks Dan:

I'll be sure to post those pics.. maybe even some video if my new camera arrives in time.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby gregp136 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:55 pm

:D :) :D :Its beautiful!!!

Greg (and Laurie)
gregp136
The 300 Club

Postby parnold » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Thanks Greg (and Laurie)!

I did manage to get out of my lazyboy and primed and painted the tongue box also.

I got the tail lights mounted, as well as my rear running lights, and my 110 outlet access cover. Tomorrow night when the paint is harder, I'll tackle the fenders.

I've decided that I'm going to buy a punch, so when I go to drill all the holes to mount the doors and windows, I won't have to worry about drill travel. It will be worth the few dollars to not have to worry about it.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Carter » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Paul,
The paint looks terrific and the graphics have me wanting another toy. I am going to have to purchase one of those. Good Job

Jim
I need a new Avatar. I'd put my dog up there but she doesn't look much like me. She's the skinny one.
Carter
Gold Donating Member

Postby goldcoop » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:42 pm

parnold wrote:I'd really love to make a surprise tearstock visit.

Paul-

It wouldn't be a surprise... WE have spies everywhere! :lol:

Can't wait to see your build! :thumbsup: :applause:

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Man it is looking great! I love the font you used for the Wanderlust also!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby parnold » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks for the compliments Jim and Thomas. .coming from you two that means a lot!

Tonights progress... not much. but I got the fenders mounted and the wheels back on. I placed the rear hatch in it's hole, but it's not screwed, just sitting there because it makes the picture better.

During my hour long drive home from work, I was pondering different ideas for the license plate light. I purchased an inexpensive round one, but now I'm thinking I might want something a little more flashy/unique.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby H-Balm » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:20 pm

That really looks sharp.

So...

- it is a rv style hatch?
-What size?

-What plans do you have for your doors and windows?
H-Balm
Teardrop Master

Postby down under tech » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi Paul: Your trailer is looking REAL NICE !!! The round fenders look a lot better than the HF ones. Here is a link to the place I bought my license plate light. It has a mount for a full size license plate under the light. It is $16.95. That is the lowest price I found it for. I bought this same one.

http://www.bugcity.com/cgi-bin/WebStore/indexNEW.cgi/mi=yes/srchcd=3528-15

I want to get one of those Cricut machines. That would be so cool making up my own decals for my Silver Nugget. :thinking:

The horses are about to come in and yours is leading the pack by a mile. I hope you bought a high wager bet slip on your horse (TD) at the track because he is a winner. ;)
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals