Wanderlust Build Thread - Updates after two years!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby parnold » Wed May 19, 2010 11:12 am

:cry:

I knew when I designed the back hatch, that it was going to be a weak spot as far as waterproofing goes.

Well, it's been raining for two days now, and I have water in my galley. I have the hatched sealed with both butyl and silicone, and the leak is coming around the door, not the frame. The factory gasket is pretty wimpy, so my first attempt at fixing the leak will be to replace that gasket with something heavier.

I have already drilled two weep holes at the base of the frame so water won't collect there. If the new gasket doesn't work, I'm trying to come up with alternate plans.

The interior is totally dry, so the roof vent, windows, and entrance door are all functioning perfectly.

I'll post some detailed diagrams if the new seal doesn't solve the leak so I can get some input from everyone on possible solutions.
parnold
Donating Member

xx

Postby Chuckles2153 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:28 pm

Sorry to hear that but it sounds like an easy fix. nice and dry interior is always a good thing too.
Chuckles2153
Teardrop Master

Postby legojenn » Fri May 21, 2010 4:58 pm

I really wished that you had have made it to Tearstock (and been on the Tour de Tears) so I could see what you built.

I bought my trailer because I have a car the same size as yours and didn't want to overwhelm it, so I went with a motomate, which is mostly aluminium. After seeing the Miata towing a 4X8 trailer and now yours. I'm jealous. I'm missing out on being one of the cool kids with a home-build.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby parnold » Sun May 23, 2010 1:26 pm

I really wished that you had have made it to Tearstock (and been on the Tour de Tears) so I could see what you built.

Me too! I think there is a new england chapter gathering in July, I was able to get that time off work, but I'll have to come home on Saturday for my son's engagement party. I'll head up on Thursday.

Well.. 2nd camping trip this weekend, and the new weatherstripping on the rear hatch and the modified drain holes solved the leak!

I did have a little wicking of the luan at the bottom because I haven't sealed up the bottom yet... duh! I'll let it dry out before I caulk all those gaps.

I only forgot one thing this time :cry:

Eggs!.. but I had two delicious pork roll (Taylor's Ham for those in the know) sandwiches to make up for it.

The Picnic stove wouldn't work with the cabinet I built for it, apparently there wasn't enough air flow, I took it out of the box, and it worked flawlessly.

My Doc Wattson reported total battery usage at 5.8 amp hours... lol, at that rate of usage I can camp for weeks without worrying about battery issues. My laptop would not run off a 70 watt inverter that my son had lying around, I'll have to try it out in the car to determine if it is a wiring issue, or just too low of a wattage unit.
parnold
Donating Member

Awesome

Postby whtknight » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:02 am

Had to check your build out... everyone has said it... :D Great build!

Love the doors and windows, paint came out great.... and believe me.. I didn't waste to much time sanding... I admire the attention you gave the finish... :)
whtknight
Teardrop Builder

Postby parnold » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:20 am

Well thank you very much! I'm happy with how it came out, and can't wait for next weekend for camping trip #3!!!!

:applause:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby teardrop_focus » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:30 pm

That's a fine little trailer you've build there. Congrats!

:P

parnold

My Doc Wattson reported total battery usage at 5.8 amp hours... lol, at that rate of usage I can camp for weeks without worrying about battery issues. My laptop would not run off a 70 watt inverter that my son had lying around, I'll have to try it out in the car to determine if it is a wiring issue, or just too low of a wattage unit.

On the back of the transformer that plugs into your laptop (on my Dell it's 110V to 19V) there should also be an amp specification... you could, although I don't have the math handy, determine what wattage inverter (12VDC to 120VAC) you'd need.

I have a CyberPower 150W (max, up to 120W constant) inverter; it works really well to power my Dell and it has some nice features that less expensive inverters do not. I think I paid +/- $50 at BestBuy.

Check out the features here:

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/produc ... 50CHU.html

Do you have a link to the particular Doc Wattson you're using? Thanks!

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:00 pm

The Doc Wattson I have is this one. It's great as it keeps a running total of how many amp hours you've used, plus peak usage, current (as in how much at the moment) usage.

http://www.powerwerx.com/tools-meters/doc-wattson-meter-dc-inline.html

I purchased a 150watt inverter, which I've used for charging cell phone, but didn't take the laptop on my last trip. I'll try it out next weekend.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby myoung » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:57 pm

Terrific build thread. Got to pay more attention to your work, Paul. Love the large window, actually I lust for that large window (or 2 or 3 of them).
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby parnold » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Getting ready for the Hallow Fun gathering at Knoebels in PA. Decided to do just a couple more things. I had a nylon mesh basket hung from my wall inside, it worked well, but it always seemed what I wanted was on the bottom... grrrrr. So I built this simple little cabinet with sliding doors. Of course, as carefully as I measured, the doors were ever so slightly undersized. grrrrr again. A trip to the store, and I bought two pieces of 1/8 steel rod, dropped into bottom groove, and they now work perfectly. They even slide better on top of the rods!

I didn't take a picture, but you can see my curtain to the right of the cabinets is hung a little low, and the block of wood that the rod holder was screwed into was a "temporary" fix I did right before my first camping trip. The rod holders are now screwed into oak blocks, and raised enough so you don't see the window frame above the curtain.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Rlowell » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:34 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: Looks great. It's always the little things that you thing of after the build that keeps you thinking and more comfortable.
Keep up the good work and enjoy the ouying.
Rod :lol:
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:23 am

Paul, your camping trailer is done. You're making improvements now.....Nice job. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:18 am

Looking forward to meeting you at the Hallo-Fun Gathering and checking out the Wanderlust!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby TheresaD » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:35 am

Looks great Paul! I'm not quite sure what happened, but I never did get to check out your trailer when we were at Swartswood. I saw everyone else's I think. It must have been because you were parked in the trees! :lol: I'm going to be looking for a tour when we're at Knoebels.
All The Best,

Theresa D.
Tearjerkers Great North Woods Chapter Director
68 Sprite 400
47 KIT Companion
TheresaD
Silver Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:51 pm

I read your entire post early thing morning and wow!. . .you did a great job in short time Paul. I really like the simple little things like using the drawer pull over the light. The extra large window makes the trailer look bigger - smart idea.

Two :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals