Wanderlust Build Thread - Updates after two years!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby parnold » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:35 am

Spring fever has hit!!

I finally pulled the cover off my trailer yesterday and peaked inside, and gave the exterior a good careful going over. Everything looks perfect, no leaks, no damage, no cracks. I'm starting to get in gear for my first trip in the middle of April.

I purchased some waterproof, ripstop nylon last year, and have my design for my awning.

One corner will be attached to the backside of the trailer with permanent mounts for the pole on the trailer. This is so when installing, one pole will be solid to make for easier setup. That corner will be 7' off the ground. The diagonal corner will be 8'. The other two corners will be 6'. I'm hoping the slope will be enough to not puddle water if the awning is kept taut.

Any thoughts?
parnold
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:41 am

:thinking: With the trailer corner being lower than the diagonal corner, you could end up with water going onto/into your trailer/galley area. I think I'd make the diagonal 7' or even 6.5' and let the water run off the 6' sides; but, I could be wrong....
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby parnold » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:00 am

Here's a pic with the trailer under it, although not perfectly placed in the sketch.

Sharon.. I'm wondering about the real world use also. My first couple setup's will be before actually attaching the pole supports to the trailer. This way I can move things about til I get it right. The overhang at the back(galley) is almost 4 foot, and the overhang at the entrance side of the trailer will be approximately 7 foot. Should give me enough room!?

I bought enough of the nylon fabric to make about 4 of these things.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:23 am

The picture gives a better feel for what you plan. Looks like it'll work good! :thumbsup:
:thinking: With the extra fabric, you could make extras to sell to others; make shelter sides; or use it on a shower facility. Whatever works.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby parnold » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:07 pm

Here is my sewing table. It isn't exactly ideal.

I have a rough 11 foot square now. Each seam was sewn once, folded over and sewn again. I did this all by hand without pins as I read that the pinholes would provide a place for water to leak through. I will fold each seam one more time so the rough edges are completely encapsulated. Then all I have to do is the same thing to each of the four sides.

Each corner will be reinforced with a four layer triangle of nylon, and will be stitched like crazy. Instead of trying to use grommets, I purchased tarp clamps. I found all the poles I need in my shed (being a hoarder is a good thing sometimes).
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Dusty82 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:51 am

Looking good!

Be warned, however, that as soon as your friends find out you can do this kind of thing, you're going to be flooded with requests. Ask me how I know this... :lol:
TV: 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport

Currently stuck in a tent.
Dusty82
The 300 Club

Postby parnold » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:49 pm

I'm breaking the cardinal rule... no pictures!

I finished my awning tonight. Yesterday I installed my new Fantastic Fan, and last weekend I installed a new cabinet door. (The sliding doors popped out while traveling so I scrapped them)

Thursday is my first camping trip of the year and I'll take pictures then, and tethering off my Android phone, I'll upload them hopefully Thursday night.

I can't wait to get away for a few days! 8)
parnold
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:36 am

parnold wrote:I'm breaking the cardinal rule... no pictures!

:x Image

Just kidding Paul! We do need some pictures of your fancy new awning though! You may need it this weekend with all this rain we've been getting lately.

Have a great weekend!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:09 am

Paul,

I'm itching to see some pics of your new canopy too! Have a great time on your camping trip!

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

nice job

Postby jfba » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:12 am

Looks really good Paul

Jim Arnold
jfba
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jfba » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:14 am

Looks great Paul

Jim Arnold
jfba
Teardrop Advisor

Postby parnold » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:38 pm

Hey Jim, are we related? :lol:

As promised, here I am in the campground, just about to start on dinner, and thought I would post my new pics.

First, my new cabinet door inside, and you can see my fantastic fan. I can't say enough about this fan... WOW!

Not so exciting, but while I was sitting around camp today, I painted my tongue. I bolted a crossbar on the tongue for my jack. This is temporary until I get my welding friend to come visit, then it will be cut to fit, and attached properly.

A few weeks ago, I painted the table that hangs off the back of the trailer. It used to just be crummy plywood. It took a few coats of fiberglass filler, and some glazing putty to get it smooth.

And lastly, my new awning. It still needs some tweaking.

Now that it's Friday night, I will finally have some neighbors here at the campground.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:43 pm

I will say, that having one pole, attached to the trailer made it fairly easy to set up by myself, but it wasn't windy.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:27 pm

I made it home before the torrential downpour!

All in all, I had a great, relaxing couple days off. I read a book called "How to go camping" that was written in the late 1800's and it was quite entertaining. Then I started reading "Oregon Trails". I didn't even realize it was a real book, I thought it was only a game. :lol:

Last night the temps went down to 38, and it was a bit chilly. I was warm enough once I got under the covers, but I spent the evening rotating by the fire to warm my front/back alternately.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Loader » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:50 am

Looks great Paul! Congrats on the outing!

The table will prove real helpful, and that it can stay up even when the hatch is close is nice. The awning is something, covers a lot of area - nice!
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals