Wanderlust Build Thread - Updates after two years!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:38 am

parnold wrote:I'll put it to the real test next week in Indiana at the Crossroads of America gathering! I can't wait!

I'm jealous! Wish I could make it out to that! I'll definitely be looking forward to the next mega-gathering, whenever that may be!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Re: Wanderlust Build Thread - Updates after two years!

Postby parnold » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:50 am

I'm getting my trailer in top shape for the trip out to Wyoming next month. My first step was to update me entry door. The RV hatch door worked flawlessly, and kept out water, bugs, and other miscellaneous varmints, but after my trip to Maryland, I became very jealous of Zach's doors, so I bit the bullet, and laid out the cash for one. It is the same width as my hatch, but gives me four more inches of clearance for my head when getting in and out.

While getting the mattress out of the way of the jig saw, I noticed a slight discoloration of some of the luan, right at the very front edge. After installing the door, I jacked the nose of the trailer up as high as I could get it, and added additional undercoating to the front edge. There was a section that I could see the wood, so I must have missed it during my initial build. I also examined the rest of the trailer, and noticed where some of the screws were in the roof, the resin was showing hairline cracks. No Good!

I got some Upol Gravitex which is a flexible chip guard, and coated the top of the roof (6 coats with a foam roller) after sanding it all down for a good bite.

I got up at 6:30 to finish the roof, and by 8:00am the heat got to me, so I came inside to do a little something in the A/C. The result, was a new decal for the front of the trailer, matching the name on the back, but bigger. I'm trying to justify the money I spent on the 32" vinyl cutter. :D

parnold
Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:57 am

Looks real good Paul. I bet the new door makes the interior feel different with all that glass. New graphics are great too. :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby BillZ » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:54 am

It looks brand spanking new!
Thanks for the update Paul. It's a good reminder to keep an eye out for possible water intrusion.
BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:01 pm

+1 on what BillZ said. It looks good.

I'm curious as to what the square tube u-bolted to your tongue in front of the tongue box is for.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:07 pm

If I had your welding skills, it would be cut and welded instead of willy nilly bolted on with huge U-bolts. :lol:

It is for the tongue jack. If you mount the tongue jack on one of the two rails that lead to the tongue, the harbor freight steel has a tendency to twist. Mounted to the cross bar, there is no twisting. One of these days, I'll take it back off, blast it, and get it welded, and then paint to match everything. It was put on in a hurry a last year, and was something I never got around to fixing properly.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:18 pm

Looks like you are all ready for Wyoming Paul. The new door looks great. You just can't beat extra headroom. I don't know about you but I don't bend like I
use too! :lol: The new graphics look cool. I wish I could do stuff like that. But first I need to learn to weld.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:24 pm

Yup! It looks good. :thumbsup:
Now, all you have to do is pack and drive. :D :vroom:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:45 pm

parnold wrote:It is for the tongue jack.

Ah, I see it now. I was looking at the end of the tube and thinking it was a bit heavy for storing tent poles and fishing rods! I understand that not everyone has welding capabilities. It is somewhat of a specialized craft.

You know, Paul, Jersey isn't that far away from SE CT. If you wanted to make a weekend camp trip up this way, or even a day trip, I'd be happy to help you with a more elegant jack mounting solution, do whatever welding you need done for it. Take another look at the way I did mine, see if you like that, or fire away with what you would like to do if you could weld. We can make pretty much anything happen.

After August, though.

Hope you have a great trip, take lots of photos, and maybe we will see you on the road (if I get to the campable stage... big if). Man I would love to drop in on you guys at Walk The Winds. Sure would like to meet you, Slow, Woodbutcher and the others. Wolfarmer (Randy) is out in that general area, to.

Must be nice to gather with like minded folks! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:20 pm

KC, it certainly is fun meeting with like minded folk as you put it. I have been to five "gatherings" now, and have thoroughly enjoyed each one. My son's best friend is a welder, but on the occasions he comes to visit, he and my son usually have other projects in mind, and I haven't bothered him yet. The fix is ugly, but fully functional, so eventually I'll get it done. I actually managed to weld an outdoor wood pellet burner this spring, and it hasn't fallen apart yet, so who knows, maybe I'll tackle it myself. :lol:

Thanks for the offer, and I do hope we get to share some stories around a camp fire!

I will be taking plenty of photos on this trip west. Getting two weeks off of work is not normal, but I strategically asked while I was doing double duty at work when our credit manager was out for 6 weeks due to hip surgery. My boss couldn't say no. I probably won't get another trip like this until I retire, so I plan to fill up every SD card I own.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:50 pm

The Wanderlust is looking really great, Paul. I just read this entire build journal for the first time. The original build was "before my time."
A lot of good ideas here, and I like the door upgrade. Nice job on the graphics too. You've got some very cool toys.
I hope you have a wonderful time in Wyoming. That's one gathering I would love to attend. Montana and Wyoming are 2 of the most beautiful states I have ever seen.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby LDK » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:52 pm

The wanderlust looks really nice Paul. I think it looks better now with the new updates. Are you gonna keep it when you finish the other build?
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:01 pm

Larry: Right now I have no plans on getting rid of Wanderlust. Build 2 is much larger, and may not be suitable for long distance trips with my current tow vehicle. I won't really know until it's done and I try it out. I have room in my driveway for plenty of trailers.. so who knows.. maybe I'll be on #3 and still have 1 and 2. :lol:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Forrest747 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:14 am

Looks great and really do we have to justify owning and using cool tools. The welder looks great in my garage and I get told they are jealous that I can use it. May have you do a vinyl for me for the front. Keep up the great work. :applause:
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby ieheg2 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:16 am

Hi, Paul! Watching your work - you can improve forever!
:thumbsup:
Treat people the way you want, that would treat you.
ieheg2
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals