Wanderlust Build Thread - Updates after two years!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Rlowell » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:50 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Keep up the good work!!! You may still reach your goal date. :applause: :applause:
Rod
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby 2bits » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:56 pm

Certainly looks like you got alot accomplished!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby John T. Hodgen » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:31 am

parnold,
Looks like you got LOTS done to me. :thumbsup: Where did you get that galley hatch? Size? Make? I'm going to HAVE to build one similiar, hope you don't mind :oops: :twisted:
Til later by the fire--John T. & Linda 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby parnold » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:31 am

Where did you get that galley hatch?

I got both the hatches on ebay, I think the seller's name was bottomdollarsurplus.
33x26 galley hatch = 20.00
28x26 entry door = 7.99
18x15 slider window = 25.00
48x22 crank window = 36.01
freight for all of above plus some lights = 40.88

They are take offs, items removed from trailers, they look unused. they had a couple dings in the trim, probably from shipping. All in all I was extremely pleased with this aquisition.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:32 am

Here I sit at work.. thinking it was gonna rain, so I came in on my day off to help out, and it is gorgeous outside.
:cry:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Jason and Amanda » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:24 pm

I have a question about the solid copper wiring. I know that for high performance car audio I always used stranded cable, the more strands per gauge the better. I'm sure it has something to do with either the weather or being a DC system.

Can someone enlighten me as to why solid copper wire is a bad idea? I only knew that it was, but not why.
Jason and Amanda
Teardrop Master

Postby Jason and Amanda » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Awesome build job by the way! It's inspiring.

You could maybe go into business selling decals to fellow teardroppers.

I'm actually looking for someone that can take a drawing that my wife can make on paper, then print it on a vinyl decal but I would need about 36"x36" square
Jason and Amanda
Teardrop Master

Postby parnold » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:40 pm

You could maybe go into business selling decals to fellow teardroppers.

I'm actually looking for someone that can take a drawing that my wife can make on paper, then print it on a vinyl decal but I would need about 36"x36" square

The only problem is my size is limited to 10" wide. My image was chosen specifically so I could do it in two runs and piece them together to get one larger image. As shown on the image below, black would be one piece, the red would be the second run through the cutter, and then I would have to line them up as I apply on the trailer. Of course the actual vinyl will be all one color.

I wouldn't be opposed to making some vinyl for forum members, but people often misunderstand the limits of a simple vinyl cutter, and the necessary artwork that would have to be supplied. I've done "favors" for friends and ended up spending hours fixing the artwork.

parnold
Donating Member

Postby synaps3 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:54 pm

Jason and Amanda wrote:Can someone enlighten me as to why solid copper wire is a bad idea? I only knew that it was, but not why.

Even though this is in the wrong place, I'll answer it for you real quick. ;)

Solid copper will deteriorate more and more as vibrations run through it, or as it is bent in the same place repeatedly. The smaller the wire strands, the less the overall wire is affected by deterioration, the more flexible the wire is, and therefore, the more durable the wire is. As long as you don't use solid, single-strand wires in your build, you'll be fine. :)
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby parnold » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:41 pm

Last night I was able to start the 110v wiring, and even though the day was very cold, 38 degrees, I spent time between warmups working on the trailer. I installed the countertop..
and here you can see the access to the storage area.
ground fault outlet in the cabin area...
and power for the galley, with my tester installed. I doubt you can see it, but the two yellow lights are on which means... AOK!
here you can see the switch for the galley lights, and the galley lights temporarily installed on pieces of cardboard. When it gets dark tonight I'll turn them on and see if I need to do some rethinking about the location.
I also got the interior light mounted, just inside the door so it is easy to switch on prior to getting inside. Because my walls are solid, the wires are dangling right now, but I plan to cut a piece of wood with a channel to hide the wires from sight, it's just too cold to drag the table saw out of the shed to do that today.. tomorrow's forecast is sunny and 50 degrees, so I hope to get that done, as well as shaping some of the spars around the curves. I still need to think about the tail light mounts too.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby John T. Hodgen » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:46 am

Hey parnold,
Looking great :thumbsup: As far as tailights go, you could run a 1x4,1x6 done the side of your storage compartment and they would be off to the sides. I don't know the thickness of your light but being close to the side, if you had to box them in it wouldn't protude into the compartment that much. Or go with some Model A lights and have one with licenseplate white light to be "Legal". Being an old biker/rodder, that way only the wires would be in the compartment with no wasted space. '39 Ford teardrop lights wood be cool :twisted: One question..why didn't you put that galley plug-in into the wall right above it so it wouldn't take up counter space?? Just asking for when I Steal your design :thinking: Isn't figuring this all out FUN!!! Keep up the great work!!
Til later by the fire--John T. & Linda 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Postby parnold » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:10 am

One question..why didn't you put that galley plug-in into the wall right above it so it wouldn't take up counter space?

If I mounted the box on the vertical wall, the wires would show in the cabin, that's just a 1/2 sheet of ply there, by mounting it on the counter, the wires are hidden in the storage area.

I have 4" round flush mount lights, so I just need to have something more substantial than the outer skin to screw them into, again, all the wiring will be inside the storage area. In the event of any future wiring issues, for the most part, all the wiring will be in one place.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:09 pm

Got some more done today, a few hours of sanding various things, rounding out the spars to ease the bends, etc. I made a couple mounts for the tail lights to screw into, so there is something more substantial than just the shell.

I changed the angle of the galley lights slightly, and built a mount for them, then soldered the wires and heat shrunk the joints.

Before I ran out of steam, I fit the two windows and the entrance hatch. I had cut the holes just a slight bit to small, so some work with the sander to get them perfect and they all fit very snug!

I still need to run the tail light wires, and hide the wires in the cabin, but now I am just waiting for a couple days of warm weather so I can apply the luan skin and start applying the polyester resin. I figure with two warm days in a row, I can give it the first coat on the first day, sand it the morning of day two, and apply coat two on the second day. I want to apply three coats, but at least with two on there, I won't worry about the luan getting wet.

I went to Wally world and bought a quick up shelter since I discovered that the tarp I am covering it with leaks a little. I think with the shelter, and the tarp, I should be good..... and yes I will stake it down. It's supposed to rain here Monday and Tuesday.

I don't expect to get much done next weekend as it is Easter, and both my son's will be away, so no extra hands.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Rlowell » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:24 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: Looking Great. You are moving right along. :applause: :applause: Keep it up! :thumbsup:
Rod
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:03 am

That picture window is going to be awesome!! I'm not gonna lie.... I'm jealous!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals