Wanderlust Build Thread - Updates after two years!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Carter » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:52 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Certainly don't stress on the flaws! My $30 paint job is far from perfect (but it certainly looks pretty in pictures, and from 30 yards) haha! If you get a chance to see the Scuttlebutt up close, the back hatch does need sanded and re-done, as the roller started to pull apart :(

Also, if our trailers were perfect, we might be a little less inclined to go out and get them dirty! :twisted:

The young man is wise beyond his years

Jim
I need a new Avatar. I'd put my dog up there but she doesn't look much like me. She's the skinny one.
Carter
Gold Donating Member

Postby parnold » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:23 pm

No pictures.. but last night I successfully wired the tail lights, and rear side marker lights. I just need to add the license plate light wires then solder and tape.

Tonight I mounted the tonguebox, installed the battery in the box, and ran the main line to the galley where the wiring access is. I soldered all the wires and everything works great. I have a switch mounted on the tonguebox, which disconnects the battery, so no accidental drain. I have my trickle charger in the galley storage area with a quick disconnect plug. I tested it and the battery charges.

Oh, and I printed up the "sticky" battery life chart and taped it to the lid of my tonguebox for easy access.

All that's left for campable... license plate light, secure the hatch door, wire the fan in the vent, and cut the mattress. I have tomorrow night and Saturday morning to complete those tasks so I can go camping Saturday afternoon!

It's gonna be tight!!! :?
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Rlowell » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:42 pm

parnold wrote:No pictures.. but last night I successfully wired the tail lights, and rear side marker lights. I just need to add the license plate light wires then solder and tape.

Tonight I mounted the tonguebox, installed the battery in the box, and ran the main line to the galley where the wiring access is. I soldered all the wires and everything works great. I have a switch mounted on the tonguebox, which disconnects the battery, so no accidental drain. I have my trickle charger in the galley storage area with a quick disconnect plug. I tested it and the battery charges.

Oh, and I printed up the "sticky" battery life chart and taped it to the lid of my tonguebox for easy access.

All that's left for campable... license plate light, secure the hatch door, wire the fan in the vent, and cut the mattress. I have tomorrow night and Saturday morning to complete those tasks so I can go camping Saturday afternoon!

It's gonna be tight!!! :?
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Great job on a fast build!!
We look forward to the picture of the first camp site...Way to go.
Rod
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Fantastic build

Postby Clifford Loose » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:06 pm

:vroom: Amazing how fast you were able to finish your build. Go enjoy your first camping experience with your new tear.
Clifford Loose
Teardrop Advisor

Postby parnold » Sat May 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Maiden voyage today. I took the trailer to my parents house to use my mother's sewing machine to make the curtains.

Cut down my mattress...

Bedding in, with temporary comforter, the comforter does not match the curtains so I'll keep my eyes open for one that does.

Here's the trailer parked in front of my parents house, 25 mile trip in 90 degree weather and the hubs were just the slightest bit warm

I was planning a trip to Swartswood State Park today, but the 90 degree weather kind of put an end to that idea. By the time I got done with the curtains, and the visit with Mom and Dad, it was three in the afternoon, and I was too hot and tired to load the tear up for the trip.

I am going to head out in a little while to test the mattress out, and spend my first night sleeping in her.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Sat May 01, 2010 10:48 pm

Paul, Congrats on a job well done, and just in time for the season too. Hope you have many great trips in the time to come! :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Sat May 01, 2010 11:11 pm

It looks great and that last, shot is awesome! excellent job! Now don't for get the two years of details! :lol:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby grizz » Sun May 02, 2010 3:21 am

That looks lovely Paul.

My day is filled with a lot of rain, so no working outside, hence the surfing the web and reading threads in stead.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Rlowell » Sun May 02, 2010 6:10 am

:applause: :applause: :applause: Great job Paul! :applause: :applause:
She Looks great and very worthy for many camping trips...Have a great time.
Rod
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Rigsby » Sun May 02, 2010 7:29 am

Great job there Paul :applause: . I love the big windows, It will make it seem a lot more roomy in there.
I hope your first night camping goes well

Steve
DOOIN IT THE YAARKSHA WAY--FA NOWT, THA NUS !!
Rigsby
500 Club

Postby Clifford Loose » Sun May 02, 2010 7:59 am

Very nice job on your tear (and, by the way, your parents house is also very nice!). I noted a few things that you did differently: you cut down your own mattress while my wife had ours cut down at the shop where she purchased it and you're making your own curtains while my wife had a friend's help with the curtains and valances as well as cushion covers for the couch/bed and throw pillows. She will admit herself that she's not much of a seamstress - although her Mother tried to interest her in it - and her mother's machine wouldn't handle the upholstery material we had chosen, but her friend had a machine that would work. Just wondering if the 90 degree weather is the norm up there for this time of year? That seems to be rather unusual. Let me know how your 'maiden sleepout' goes. What thickness mattress do you have? We paid a little more to get the 6" thickness just to enhance the comfort of both the couch and the bed. And one final question: how did the tear pull behind your car? My wife and I are looking for something small (with good gas mileage, obviously) to pull our tear and haven't quite made up our minds whether we'll go with a car or a cross-over vehicle. We'll use my truck for the near future, but want something more economical for when we take long trips.
Clifford Loose
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sagebrush » Sun May 02, 2010 8:11 am

:thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: Looking REAL GOOD , Paul! :applause: :thumbsup: Hope you have many, many good camps. Will
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

First Night In "YOUR" Teardrop

Postby down under tech » Sun May 02, 2010 8:22 am

Hi Paul: I read in your post yesterday, that you were going to camp out in your teardrop. I was just checking in to see how your night went ??? I still have a long ways to go before I can camp in mine. Yours looks "Very Nice". I hope you enjoy it, because all of that hard work you have put into it is now going to pay you back in pleasure and relaxation. I have had fun following your build. Take care and get out there and camp.

RV There Yet ??? ;)
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun May 02, 2010 10:10 am

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

It's 11am, and I just got up from my first sleep out.. lol. I need to work on the pillow issue. I took some of the extra foam from the mattress and made a pillow, but it was a little too stiff. Also, because of the 75" mattress, my feet could touch the wall because the mattress was too deep, I had 9 inches or so beyond my head that was wasted.

In answer to some of Clifford's questions.

Just wondering if the 90 degree weather is the norm up there for this time of year?

No.. the normal temp for may should be in the 60's.

What thickness mattress do you have?

I have arthritis in my spine, so I purchased an 8" memory foam mattress just like the one I sleep on every night.

how did the tear pull behind your car?

I would say the tear pulled very well. I live in a rather hilly section of the state, and I did notice on some uphills, I had to shift to 4th gear as 5th wasn't quite cutting it. I didn't notice the tear at all when it came to braking, and through turns. Also, at 4' wide, I had no visibility issues at all, as both of my side mirrors gave me plenty of view.

The Hyundai has a tiny motor (I thinks is actually equal to 4 squirrel power). My car is also a Std Trans, if it were an automatic, I might worry about the transmission, and pay to get a cooler added. Probably this fall I'll shop for a new vehicle, but I'm still looking at staying small, perhaps a Suzuki SX4.

One final note... I bought a cheap roof vent, with a little fan in it, I couldn't bring myself to buy the fantastic fan. I paid 36 for it on ebay, and I must say I was happy with the way it drew in the cool air from the big window. It had enough draw to actually make the curtains lean in.

For the record, total cost to date is $1650.00, including the HF trailer I expect any future costs won't really be trailer cost, but comfort costs.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun May 02, 2010 10:20 am

2bits wrote:
It looks great and that last, shot is awesome! excellent job! Now don't for get the two years of details!

I echo Thomas' thoughts. :thumbsup: What do your parents think of your build?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals