Wanderlust Build Thread - Updates after two years!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby parnold » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:31 pm

So...

- it is a rv style hatch?
-What size?

From one of my earlier posts...

I got both the hatches on ebay, I think the seller's name was bottomdollarsurplus.
33x26 galley hatch = 20.00
28x26 entry door = 7.99
18x15 slider window = 25.00
48x22 crank window = 36.01
freight for all of above plus some lights = 40.88

They are take offs, items removed from trailers, they look unused. they had a couple dings in the trim, probably from shipping. All in all I was extremely pleased with this aquisition.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:21 am

Hi, Paul:

Your teardrop is looking great! The white and silver is a nice combination. That hatch with the newly applied graphics is a well done addition! :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby parnold » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:58 pm

Thanks Sharon, I'm happy with the way it's coming out. For such a "speed" build its coming out better than I had hoped.

I had a garage sale today, so didn't get to spend as much time on the trailer as I wanted, but I did manage to get the last coat of spar urethane sprayed last night, so today I was able to get the door, and both windows installed.

I'm gonna go to the box store tomorrow and purchase more stainless screws, I think I'm going to double what I have already used, and the roof vent alone takes 28 screws.

Hopefully I will remember the crank handle for the big window. It didn't come with one, and I've been to the store probably 10 times in the last few weeks, and never remember to look for one.

I got my notice from wally world that they have my mattress ready to pick up, so will probably get that tomorrow too. There's a little more trim work to do on the inside which I need to accomplish before I put the mattress in, and I need to cut the mattress down also.

I ordered the 8" memory foam since I love my regular bed which is 8" memory foam.

It's getting real close now! I need to finish the wiring to the tail lights, and rear markers, mount the plate and the light for the plate, and finish off the trim on the inside, wire the fan, and finish the galley. I'm hoping to camp by next weekend!

Ohh.. I almost forgot these!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Rlowell » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:11 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause: Great job Paul!!
That was a very fast build and the quality looks great. Are you and Zack meeting up this weekend? It looks like you had a good race to see who could finish first and you ran a tie for great quality...from this side of the monitor any way. hope you have a fun time on your first outing.!! :applause: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rod
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:25 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Wow! Nice job and fast! Ya done good! :P :beautiful: :woohoo:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby 2bits » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:35 pm

I had to scroll back to the last page because I thought I missed something! Man, you are quick! It looks awesome and that bay window is the top! Very nice! Just in time for campin season! :thumbsup: :twisted: :twisted:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby John T. Hodgen » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:31 am

Hey Paul,
The camper looks great! You did that very QUICK too. Post pics of your first outing so that all your followers can relish in the finish--camping :thumbsup:
Til later by the fire--John T. & Linda 8)
John T. Hodgen
The 300 Club

Hey there paul

Postby Chuckles2153 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:32 am

That looks awsome !! And again i really the big picture window.

Good Job :thumbsup: :applause:
Chuckles2153
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:47 am

:applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

Very nice teardrop Paul! I really like the design with the large window. And your paint finish looks really nice.

You kinda destroyed the concept of teardrop time, but I guess that is all relative.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:28 pm

GREAT JOB PAUL!! All of a sudden you went from paint to done! That profile is awesome! Can't wait to see what you do with the interior!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby sagebrush » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:28 pm

Looking REAL GOOD! :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:
Will
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:30 pm

btw... its not too late to sign up for Tearstock! We supposedly have 35+ trailers, AND the campground is closed to the public! Should be a great opportunity for your maiden gathering voyage!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:12 pm

Wow!

Thanks everyone for all the compliments!!

My goal was a speed build, and I think I accomplished that, but I remind everyone that the pictures hide a few flaws, ok more than a few flaws in the outside bodywork and paint. It's not terribly smooth, but it should be watertight!

I started on finishing the trim inside today, I had some gaps in the wall to the galley that I needed to hide. Looks much better with the trim. I just need to put two more pieces up, and I can put in the mattress which I picked up today at wally world.

This week will be dedicated to getting the lights working, license plate light, and plate mounted, and the wire run from the tongue box to the access panel in the galley storage. My original plan was to put the battery in the galley area, but of course after most of the wiring was in place, I changed my mind. Doh!

btw... its not too late to sign up for Tearstock!

Zach, I would make the reservations but it's my son't birthday that weekend, so I'm kind of playing it by ear. I will likely make an appearance, but don't know if I'll be staying over. I'm looking forward to seeing all the tears up close, and meeting some people!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Carter » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:42 pm

Great job Paul,
Zach and yourself are definitely in the running for this years Git-Er-Done award. Don't worry (too much) about the flaws, we all have them. Love the oversize window. I really wish my wife would sleep in a tear, I would love to build one. She is so spoiled by our standy that I don't have a chance.

Jim
I need a new Avatar. I'd put my dog up there but she doesn't look much like me. She's the skinny one.
Carter
Gold Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:51 am

Certainly don't stress on the flaws! My $30 paint job is far from perfect (but it certainly looks pretty in pictures, and from 30 yards) haha! If you get a chance to see the Scuttlebutt up close, the back hatch does need sanded and re-done, as the roller started to pull apart :(

Also, if our trailers were perfect, we might be a little less inclined to go out and get them dirty! :twisted:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals