Un-named Travel Trailer Build - 99% Done! April 18

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby rebapuck » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:21 pm

I am truly impressed. Two things though...

1- I'm pretty sure that, after seeing a bazillion pictures of your brother, I could pick him out of a lineup. Seems every picture of you had an arm in the way, or you were facing away. Let's see you!

2- In eight pages, I don't think you ever called your brother by his name. What is it?

I really like your galley. The L-shape is good use of space.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:34 pm

Man it is awesome. Really a lot of money spent on this project. Is there any savings over having bought a new trailer?
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pete42 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:55 pm

Super build working with your brother as they say "priceless"

cudos to everyone involved.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby fromeo » Thu May 05, 2011 10:42 am

First off, thank you Sharon, Rick, Mike, Burke, Eagle (Louella, right?), James, Judy, StandUpGuy, and Pete for the kind words!

Sorry I haven't updated sooner, but things got a little busy. Right after the last update I got it out of the yard to get it weighed and get the hitch set up. I pulled it out of the yard with my old beater Blazer, much easier to manuever than the bigger pickup.

Took it around the block a few times, then disconnected it, gave it a bath and hooked it up to my pickup to head out:

First we took it down to the local RV dealer (who has helped us with ordering some parts). They really got a kick out of seeing it completed, and the owner even rounded up every employee (and a few customers) and gave them all a tour. Everybody loved it and had a million questions. That was cool.

Then we headed off to the closest truck stop to hit the CAT Scale. We weighed in at 2700 pounds. :shock: I knew we were bound to wind up over my initial estimate, but I didn't expect to be 700 pounds over! I still can't figure out where all the weight came from! :lol:

This past Monday I ordered a replacement torsion axle for it with a 3500 lb rating. The axle we re-used from the pop-up was de-rated to something like 2700 lbs. The replacement axle cost $329 and should arrive within 2 weeks.

We wound up putting almost 100 miles on it the day we went to the scales, and it towed well. On Easter Sunday I "delivered" it to my brother, a 120 mile one-way trip, again it towed great with no problems. Well, until I got there and realized I left the trailer keys at home on the kitchen table! :oops:

And let me answer some questions..

Dmanrick wrote:Please let me know what it weighs.

2700 Total - 2400 Axle, 300 tongue.

bve wrote:Looking forward to some 'in the wild' photos... any ideas for a name yet?

Burke, he still hasn't mentioned anything to me. I know he's excited to get it striped and lettered, so he's going to have to come up with something sooner or later.

kelkins wrote:Also, a few questions:
How did you seal the top to the sides?

The roof overlaps the siding on all four sides and is sealed with butyl tape, various standard RV style aluminum extrusions, and Dicor self-leveling lap sealant. Very much the same as any commercial RV roof should be done. Dicor's web site has an easy to follow 1 or 2 page instruction sheet that I followed, it is worth checking out.

jelkins wrote:Did you use standard rv extrusion on the other seems?

Yep, all standard extrusions. Roof wise, the door side is gutter with awning rail, road side is just gutter, rear is wide leg corner trim, the front is flat trim. The 4 corners of the siding are overlapped and then covered with corner trim. Wide leg in the rear, short leg in the front. I eventually will redo the front 2 pieces because I dont like the way they bent up top.

rebapuck wrote:1- I'm pretty sure that, after seeing a bazillion pictures of your brother, I could pick him out of a lineup. Seems every picture of you had an arm in the way, or you were facing away. Let's see you!

:lol: There's only one picture of me in the whole build and I had a welding helmet on. I'm the only one who will stop and grab the camera to take pictures of stuff. If I left it up to my brother, there wouldn't have been a single picture of this build. The other guy who see half in the pictures from time to time is my father..

I'm also a little camera shy, but I'll probably show up in some gathering pictures by accident before long. :D

rebapuck wrote:2- In eight pages, I don't think you ever called your brother by his name. What is it?

His name is Chris.

StandUpGuy wrote:Man it is awesome. Really a lot of money spent on this project. Is there any savings over having bought a new trailer?

Something like $10 grand I'd say. He's "only" in this thing for about $4500 (plus the new axle, so closer to 5k). Yes, $5000 is a good chunk of change, but all things considered I don't think it was bad. He could have spent considerably less, and that was the initial plan (initial budget was $2k), but when he saw it could be nice, he upgraded a lot of things.

Another point of reference. The trailer we roughly modeled was the closest thing we could find to what he wanted. That model hasn't been made in 5 years and still goes over $10k on the used market. So, less than half the price, exactly what he wanted, and he gets to say "Yeah, I built that!" :thumbsup:

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby parnold » Thu May 05, 2011 11:01 am

I gotta say.... Freakin Awesome!!
:thumbsup:

Can't wait to see what your brother does with the stripes.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Dmanrick » Fri May 06, 2011 4:51 pm

Nice. I know you are glad it's over. Now you all go out and enjoy the fruits of your labor!
Dmanrick
Gold Donating Member

Speechless....

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:41 am

I am absolutely flabbergasted by this build. What an accomplishment. It occurs to me that when a commercial unit is produced, you have lots of different folks, each having their own individual talents, and contributing their "little piece" of the completed project. But you, your wife and your brother are the complete package with so many skills and talents. And what you created can stand head to head with any trailer anywhere and put most of them to shame.

The trailer is exceptional, the build journal was a blast to look at, and you are very inspirational.

Wow, wow, wow........ :applause: :applause: :applause:

Becky
Last edited by Oldragbaggers on Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:19 pm

Very professional looking camper!! Definitely something you should be proud of!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:56 am

Truly an inspiration. Any idea how many hours you have in this build?
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Re: Speechless....

Postby fromeo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:38 am

Becky wrote:I am absolutely flabbergasted by this build. What an accomplishment. It occurs to me that when a commercial unit is produced, you have lots of different folks, each having their own individual talents, and contributing their "little piece" of the completed project. But you, your wife and your brother are the complete package with so many skills and talents. And what you created can stand head to head with any trailer anywhere and put most of them to shame.

The trailer is exceptional, the build journal was a blast to look at, and you are very inspirational.

Wow, wow, wow........ :applause: :applause: :applause:

Becky

Thanks! There are a lot of really great builds on here, and I learned a lot of tricks (and stole a bunch of ideas!) from them. It's great that everybody shares and we can all learn from each other.

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Very professional looking camper!! Definitely something you should be proud of!

Thanks Zach! I'm hoping to drag him to one of the TearJerker events this fall. The wife and I went to one in the spring and had a great time with that crowd. Maybe we'll catch up with you there.

campmasterk wrote:Truly an inspiration. Any idea how many hours you have in this build?

Thanks! We averaged about 2 days a week for 10 months or so. I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 man hours..?

- Frank
fromeo
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:17 pm

It definitely looks professional but I'll bet it's built a lot better than anything Chris could find on the market, new or otherwise!

Beautiful work! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby vwbeamer » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Wow, really nice inside..I could spend some time in there watching football.. :applause:
vwbeamer
Teardrop Master

Not only

Postby Xdcinc » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Not only great job in the build but thanks for some ideas. I never would have thought about the mattress topper at wally world. When i built my benches in my house i spent a fortune on foam at a craft store.
Xdcinc
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Un-named Travel Trailer Build - 99% Done! April 18

Postby sgarciaone » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:23 am

So you never put in flashing on the sub flooring, how is that holding up?
sgarciaone
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Build Journals