A Minnesota Build - The Lily Pad

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

A Minnesota Build - The Lily Pad

Postby mcspin50 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:19 am

Hi everyone,
Well, I have money invested so I must actually be building, right?

Bought the 5x8 Northern Tools no-floor trailer in Fargo May 15 and brought it to Perham Steel and Welding. There they reinforced the tongue and bed with diagonal 2x2 square tubing. The welder, Kenny, cut through the second angled steel crossbrace and also moved the channels that hold the trailer lights wiring to weld in the reinforcing. You can see pics in my album.

I also asked if they could find a way to mount the plate for the rear stabilizers a little lower so, when I laid the bottom 3/4" plywood base, I wouldn't have to drill out too much so that the plywood would lay flat in the trailer frame.

The guys came up with what I thought was a great solution. I've never seen it here on the forum so here it is. Kenny welded corner plates, then drilled holes to fit the bolt heads with threaded part pointing down, then welded the bolts to the plate, cut off the bolts so that the stabilizers can be mounted below. Here's a pic to make sense of all those words.

When I'm all done, I hope the teardrop looks something like this...

Gotta go to work now. TTYL
Last edited by mcspin50 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lil M.
In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. - John Muir
Generic Benroy Build Journal here - My LilScamper Update Journal here
The Lily Pad...Image My LilScamper...Image Image
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby SandyD » Tue May 25, 2010 8:26 am

:applause: :applause: And she's off!!! I'm looking forward to seeing your tear come together. :applause: :applause:
Sandy

It's the Little Things that Getcha !!
ImageImageImage
SandyD
Teardrop Master

Postby BillZ » Tue May 25, 2010 9:58 am

Looks like you are about the same stage of your build as I am.
Looking forward to see the rest
BillZ
The 300 Club

Postby J.Heyboer » Tue May 25, 2010 11:17 am

Off to a good start, Good Luck!
J.Heyboer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Tue May 25, 2010 11:59 am

Excellent! Nice tow vehicle and teardrop combo.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby mcspin50 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:40 pm

Thanks all for your encouragement and compliments.

It does feel good to get things underway. Then again...now I'm pouring over the forums checking out undercoatings (Herculiner vs. auto undercoating vs. driveway sealer (is that the same as asphalt emulsion?) vs. oil-base primer and spar enamel), interior vs. exterior plywood for the bottom of the floor sandwich. CPES that or not? My head is spinning. I think I've made a decision, then I read someone else's experience. :?

Oh well, I'm sure it'll all come together eventually. Gotta think like Bill Murray's character in "What About Bob?"...baby steps, baby steps. One decision will lead to the next. There'll be fewer to make the further along I get, right? And there's certainly more than one right way to do things.

But I do need to get this thing built so I can get back to concentrating on my business!

Thanks again everyone! See you soon Sandy!
Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby grizz » Wed May 26, 2010 2:38 am

You will be just fine.

Look and learn. Use everyones experience and builds to shape what you do.

Well, at least that is what I have been doing.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mcspin50 » Thu May 27, 2010 3:47 pm

Thanks, Rian, for your encouragement. Have been following your build and you're doing a wonderful job of bringing your teardrop to completion. And WOW, I love all the stuff you get at the Bootfair!! Wish I had more time to do that. Sounds like fun.

I did manage to find a kitschy thing in the clearance aisle at the local Pamida to hang from the EZ-Up. Thinking of calling the teardrop The Lily Pad, so this guy would fit right in.

You'll all be so proud of me...I made my first final decision. :P It'll be Herculiner on the bottom. Visited the big box last night and, after figuring out the time and cost of oil based primer and spar varnish, I spent about $35 more for the Herculiner...one step and I'm done the undercoat. The driveway sealer was on sale for $9, but I don't think I could hack the smell. Also bought spray primer and spray paint for the trailer, and 2x4's to frame the underbed storage. Next time I visit the big box, I'll bring No. 3 son who is a big strapping 21-year-old, to help pick up the two sheets of 3/4 T&G underlayment (bottom layer), two sheets of 1/2" pine plywood (top of underbed storage), but NOT the 3/4" baltic birch. They want $70 a sheet and it's full of footballs!! Still on a quest to find some higher grade plywood (that I can see before purchasing) for the walls. Wish me luck.

I've also decided to take the trailer back to Perham Steel and Welding and get them to weld a bar with a hitch receiver on the back end so I can put the bike rack back there when I'm traveling, then put the rack on the car when I get to the destination. This next week will be too busy for me to do much, if any, work on actual building, so it would be a lot easier for the guys to weld before any wood gets attached to the trailer.

Speaking of which, how does one go about attaching said wood to said trailer. Do you drill holes in the steel angle? How? How many holes? I'm thinking I might need to purchase my first justified tool...a corded variable speed drill...for this task. :thinking:
Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby perche » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:07 pm

mcspin50 wrote: Thinking of calling the teardrop The Lily Pad, so this guy would fit right in.

Lil, perfect, spot on name for your tear!

I really like the fact that you're training them up at Perham Steel and Welding, so when I get to my start, they might just take me seriously... :lol:

You go girl, um, lady. I'll be by with strawberries or whatever is required to keep you going. It's going to be pretty!!!

Randi
perche
Teardrop Builder

Postby YuGun » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:26 am

I hope you finish up easily and nice
YuGun
The 300 Club

Postby mcspin50 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:03 pm

Hey Randi,
I told the guys at Perham Steel that you'll be in some time in the next year. ;)

Hello YuGun,
Isn't it amazing that across the world there are so many of us obsessed...no, no, I mean enthused with building these little trailers? I hope your build is going well. I'll have to check it out again soon.

Well, I've spent more money and made some progress on the build, some of it sideways, but it's all progress.

First I got the trailer frame back from the welders with the rear receiver welded on all for the low, low price of $16.71, labor included. Somebody pinch me! Then I proceeded to prime it and any other spots in need of a recoat.

Took almost two cans of black Rustoleum Spray Paint to cover the trailer. My pointer finger was cramping up so I started spraying with my middle finger, and then with my left hand. I ended up eliminated the little white pinstriping on the trailer. Looks pretty bada$$ now!

While waiting for the paint to dry, I finished a project begun many years back by another person in this house who shall remain nameless...I put up the pegboard on the back of the workbench. I cut the pegboard to length, mounted a brace between the uprights, painted the pegboard with primer, and screwed the two pieces to the uprights. I also installed the two flourescent fixtures that I had bought seven years ago at a garage sale. Sideways progress is good!

Under the dropcloth are the 4 sheets of 1/2" plywood and the 3 sheets of 3/4" natural birch plywood waiting for me to buck up my courage and start making sawdust. Tonight perhaps.

I ordered the CPES today. Should be here by Friday. I'm planning on building the bottom floor out of 2 sheets of 1/2" plywood cut 48" x 60" glued with PL glue stuff (can't recall the name) and joined with Kreg screws. I plan on covering the bottom with Herculiner. I'm debating if I should wait for the CPES to coat the bottom first, or if I should just go ahead and use the Sealer/Primer I have on hand instead, then the Herculiner. Any opinions? Will either CPES or primer be good enough to seal the join from moisture before I apply the Herculiner? I'm trying to avoid epoxy and fiberglass about which I know absolutely nothing.

Also, I'm planning on mounting the 5# propane tank on the tongue. What kind of piping should I use and how should I attach it to the frame to take the gas line (copper or HP hose?) back to the galley for the Camp Oven? I'm thinking this should be done before I attach the floor to the trailer.

Thanks so much for your help.
Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Lil M's, Big Teardrop

Postby down under tech » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:16 pm

Hi Sandy: Welcome to "Teardrop Land".

Choices choices choices! At this stage, you will be deluged by the choices you will be required to make. Just take it one thing at a time and give it a lot of thought before settling on one choice. Baby Steps are a good start. Look at what other builders have done and what they have used.

I would definitely seal the floor with CPES or an epoxy. You don't need to use fiberglass on the build, just the epoxy or CPES. Then it can be coated with the Herculiner or LineX, it is much stronger. I don't know price difference. The wood will laugh at water then.

How are you going to attach the walls to the floor? Kreg screws? Insulation in floor? It gets cold up there. It will keep TD cooler in the hot summer days, too. A tip for spray paint cans, get an adapter for the cans that make it more user friendly. Check at Lowes and HD in the paint section. Just ask some one there. I'm sure they will know what you want. It has saved a lot of finger tips. The trailer does look BadGas now. Ha Ha...

Good idea getting the lights up. You will like having more lights. It really helps you get better results if you can see what you are doing. I am an auto tech and lights are everything to me. The peg board will get you organized. That will help you immensely.

PL Premium Polyurethane Construction Adhesive. I swear by that stuff. Sorry Lord.

Get a camp stove that uses the small bottles that you screw on to the stove its-self. That saves tongue weight and the plumbing work. You can get full bottles/tanks anywhere.

Lily Pad it is, if it works for you... you will be the one using it. Go with what fits you.

Keep going sideways Sandy,
:thumbsup:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi, Sandy:

It looks like you're off to a good start. :thumbsup: I look forward to seeing your progress! :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mcspin50 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Hi Johnny D.
Thanks so much for your advice and words of encouragement.

I will use the CPES to seal the floor before I apply the Herculiner. Then I won't worry about water finding its way into the teardrop.

Re: attaching walls to floor...I'm going to do basically what Sid (Mark & Pat from TN) did on their Dragonfly build which is put down a 1/2" ply base, then 2x4 vertical framing for underbed storage in the sleeping compartment, then 1/2" ply for top of underbed storage/under the mattresses. The sides will attach to the 2x4's by screws and PL adhesive from outside. In the galley, I guess I'll use Kreg screws and the PL adhesive to attach 3/4" vertical ply to 1/2" horizontal ply. Mark lifted the whole assembly with a wedge, screwed the sides to the 2x4 frame, then dropped it back down into the frame of the 5x8 no-floor trailer bed. That way the screws don't show. Clever, eh? You can see some pix here, then go to his www for more.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=18492&highlight=dragonfly
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=18662&highlight=dragonfly

Re: Spray Can Adapter thingy. Yeah, I remember putting two of them in Christmas stockings one year. The one I found was broken, and I was too impatient to get spraying to wait until I could replace it.

Re: Naming my teardrop The Lily Pad. You see, my name is Lil. Sandy is a new teardrop friend from the St. Croix Chapter of Tearjerkers. Actually they're all new friends of mine since this obsession has taken over all my waking thoughts and I began to go to gatherings this spring. :lol: ;) :lol: I put my name in my description below the bottom line. Just too lazy to type it each time. :oops: So sorry for the confusion.

Re: gas to camp stove, my Camp Chef Camp Oven does take the 1# cylinders and I'll keep one to travel in the back of the minivan/then into galley at camp for emergencies. But I really want to be able to just open the galley and turn on the stove and not have to hook stuff up. OK, I guess I'll have to turn on the tank, just gotta remember to shut it off when I'm done. Call me lazy, call me stubborn, just don't call me Shirley (I loved that movie...you know, Airplane), but I would like to have as few things to set up as possible when I get to camp or just stopping for lunch on the road. I'm thinking I'll talk to the local gas company and ask what to do and who should do it. It's just something I don't want to monkey around with and possibly end up as a pile of ashes at a campsite. :shock:

Well, back to researching and building. Baby steps, baby steps. Onward and...sideways!

Take care,
Lil in Minnesota
Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Postby mcspin50 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Hi Sharon,
Geez, I almost called you Shirley! :lol: ;) :lol:
Thanks so much for checking out my build project. I am in awe of what you've done with your build! Can I come to your house when it's time to wire my teardrop? :D
Take care,
Lil in Minnesota
Lil M.
mcspin50
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals