Don't have a name, pop-up toy hauler

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Don't have a name, pop-up toy hauler

Postby Dmanrick » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:01 pm

Well I wanted a small toy hauler to carry a couple of 4 wheelers in that can also be used as a camper. I thought about a cargo trailer but didn't want to do anything over 12 foot. The only way to get them both in a 12 foot trailer is to pull one in sideways and the cargo trailers weren't friendly for that.

So I decided to build my own popup toy hauler. It is like a cross between a cargo and a popup. I got a lot of inspiration from all of the posts here, especially the build by Fromeo.

I started by buying an old rotten Starcraft for parts. I tore it apart as soon as I got it.

Then I started building a new trailer.

Once I got the base frame done, I started working on integrating the popup components. I first mounted the assembly for the winch and wiffle tree.

I then started laying out the floor framework. I doubled up the square tubing where the tires would go as to keep from having any problems with the floor sagging when it is loaded.

It ended up looking like this once I got the flooring framework done. The jacks are welded on, bearings are all packed and the brakes are all adjusted.

Last edited by Dmanrick on Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmanrick
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dmanrick » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:13 pm

I didn't take any pictures of the wall framework or roof build but I am going to try to do better from now on.

Here is most of the wall framework done and the lift parts all working. I had to put the 4 wheeler on there to get an idea of how deep to make the roof. Here is the roof coming together and in different heights.

Once I got the roof built, I covered it in roll roofing and had to make corners out of abs for the trim. I was going to fiberglass the whole thing but after doing all of the corners, I had a change of plan.

Here the roof is back on the trailer and cranking up and down pretty good.

Dmanrick
Gold Donating Member

Postby Steve Frederick » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:30 pm

Welcome!
Glad to see that you got the build journal up!
This is very interesting. How does the roof lifting system work?
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Dmanrick » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I'll get some pics up tomorrow with all of that. I basically used the winch and lift system from the popup but like I said, I'll get some detailed pics tomorrow. :)
Dmanrick
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:39 pm

I like your build I always wondered if one could build their own HILO from an old popup looks like you might be on your way unless you are going to use canvas sides instead of wood
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby vtx1029 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:02 pm

:applause: Nice! I like the ABS corner idea. So what does the trailer measure now?
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby Dmanrick » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:07 am

The box is 12'x7.5'

I haven't quite figured out what to do with the sides above the walls yet, That's why I posted it here, to maybe get some ideas. Hard sides wouldn't bother me but the only way I can think of is side walls that flip up and if I do that, I won't be able to do cabinets, etc. I'm kind of leaning towards using material for soft sides. Unless someone might know a way to make a hard side that folds in the middle, that might work. I just need them to attach to the bottom part and not the lid.

I am not going to utilize the pull out bunks from the old popup, with the doors on the side and end it wouldn't be very easy along with the fact that the handlebars would be in the way. It is also going to pretty minimal on the inside but I would like a couple of cabinets anyway.
Dmanrick
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dmanrick » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:31 pm

OK Here's some pics of the lifting system. It is off of the popup and please excuse the rust. I still have to paint a lot on the frame.

This is the winch that is mounted on the tongue.

This is the other end that hooks the winch onto the 4 cables going to each corner. As you can see, the middle 2 go to the back and the outer 2 go to each front corner around a pulley.

Front corner. All of the pulley assembly's came off of the popup except for 2 that I had to make.

Back of the trailer in the middle where the cables split to either side.

Back corner.

I got my flat bar that I am using for roof trim painted and will have it all up tonight. Here's the first piece up. Once I get them all on, I will trim the bottom of the plastic corners to match and the outside of the roof will be done until I mount the AC.

I also started building the gates for the opening to load and unload. I don't want to carry ramps so I am building them like a trailer. Here it is started, I still have to add some more to it.

Dmanrick
Gold Donating Member

Postby vtx1029 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:13 am

How about hard sides that go on the outside like a hi-lo trailer?

http://www.hilotrailercompany.com/hilotrailercompany.com/Welcome.html
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby wlivesey » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:15 am

I think that hard sides might be a bit too heavy for the popup lifting mechanism. Well, if you build like I do.

Looking good!
wlivesey
The 300 Club

Pop Up Toy Hauler

Postby Dmanrick » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:15 pm

OK We got some work done this week. Mainly getting the sides all welded up and painted.

Going to get the floors in tomorrow and then start on the walls. I have the skins so it shouldn't be too bad.
Dmanrick
Gold Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:58 am

you are doing a great job this is one build i'm watching all the way :applause: :applause: :applause:
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:28 am

:applause: :thumbsup: Wonderful idea! Looking forward to seeing the finish! :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby grizz » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:43 am

Just got my internet back after 3 weeks... what a pleasure.

Nice to see your build journal.

Multi purpose is a good thing, look forward to the finish.

Oh, and welcome.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dmanrick » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks.

Here's this weekends progress.

I got the floor in on saturday. I think it took as long to build the wheel wells than lay the actual flooring. :)

Sunday I got most of the framework completed for the aluminum siding. I am going to go back out in a bit and try to finish all of the framework. The only thing I really have left is the gates.

I did get one small piece of siding up to see how it would look. My wife is out of town and I'm going to need help on the bigger pieces so they will have to wait.

Dmanrick
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Build Journals