The Dog House *It's done!!!! 6/20/2015"

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby jss06 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Another detail that no one will ever see. Laying out the electrical runs in the floor. Each circuit has its own run.

From bottom to top:

driver front marker
Axle brakes
Stop/Turn/Tail
120V AC circuit 1 (Air Conditioner)
120V AC circuit 2 (Extra Outlet for Misc use)
12V DC circuit 1 (Extra for whatever I may want to do)
12V DC circuit 2 (Fantastic Vent Fan)

At the very top of the picture on the left is the chase for the passenger front marker.

Last edited by jss06 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:49 pm

More progress to report.

Finished up the power runs, ran wiring, tested the front markers, insulated the floor and built the rear wall for the sleeping area.

Last edited by jss06 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jss06

RE: Elec Chases

Postby mezmo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi jss06,

Good progress on your build.

I especially like your electrical chase idea - well worthy of "borrowing"!

Cheers,
norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jss06 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:24 am

Thanks everyone for the compliments. They mean a lot.

Began fitting the doors last night. I used the cutouts I made when I cut out the original side profile. Just cleaned them up a little. Still need to fit windows and door handles.

Last edited by jss06 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jss06

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:30 am

That looks so sweet! The way the angles all work together make it look so mean!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:34 am

How did you finish the exterior so far? Looks like you sanded all the corners (which really looks great). And then is that just primer? Did you use any other type of sealant?
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:43 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:How did you finish the exterior so far? Looks like you sanded all the corners (which really looks great). And then is that just primer? Did you use any other type of sealant?

I used a 1/2 inch roundover bit in the router for the edges and did some hand sanding to smooth out any rough spots. Where the router would not work I used a belt sander set on slow speed to get the radius the way I wanted it. For the really tight spots I used a hand rasp and sanding block to finish up.

Right now there is only Kilz outdoor oil based primer on it. This was recommended by the top coat manufacturer.

I have a liquid roof product I will use for the top coat. It will be one of the last things that goes on.
jss06

Postby aggie79 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:50 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:That looks so sweet! The way the angles all work together make it look so mean!

John,

I think that Zach said it best! The Dog House looks like a it a cross between military and sci-fi looks. I think it is really cool.

BTW, had a little relief from the DFW heat yesterday. I'm hoping to get a full weekend of build time this weekend.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:56 am

jss06 wrote:
absolutsnwbrdr wrote:How did you finish the exterior so far? Looks like you sanded all the corners (which really looks great). And then is that just primer? Did you use any other type of sealant?

I used a 1/2 inch roundover bit in the router for the edges and did some hand sanding to smooth out any rough spots. Where the router would not work I used a belt sander set on slow speed to get the radius the way I wanted it. For the really tight spots I used a hand rasp and sanding block to finish up.

Right now there is only Kilz outdoor oil based primer on it. This was recommended by the top coat manufacturer.

I have a liquid roof product I will use for the top coat. It will be one of the last things that goes on.

Very nice! One day I'm going to have to invest in a router and figure out how to use it. :lol:

I used Kilz Premium too... definitely happy with the results!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Robbie » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:05 am

This build is looking good! Love how it is going to match your Jeep!

I like those hinges. Do you kow how your going to setup your door seals, jambs, etc? For $6 each they look like a good alternative to my budget minded build. I'm just curious how one would work the seals on a setup like that. I've seen the cut throughs for piano hinges with T-molding but haven't seen anything like this before.
My aluminum benroy build:
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby jss06 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:33 am

Robbie wrote:This build is looking good! Love how it is going to match your Jeep!

I like those hinges. Do you kow how your going to setup your door seals, jambs, etc? For $6 each they look like a good alternative to my budget minded build. I'm just curious how one would work the seals on a setup like that. I've seen the cut throughs for piano hinges with T-molding but haven't seen anything like this before.

There will be weather stripping on the inside surface of the door right at the edge. There will be a lip on the inside wall reaching about an inch into the door opening. The weather stripping will press against this lip and provide the weather tight seal. The hinges and latch mechanism will keep the door pressed against the lip.

This means the seal is on the inside edge of the door not on the outside of the teardrop body. A little more work involved but it does not require t-molding and piano hinges.
jss06

Postby Robbie » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:54 am

That sounds simple enough! Are you going to offset the inside lip off the wall any so there is room for the seal to squish? Like an 1/8" or something? Or will you just leave it flush and let the seal really compress?
My aluminum benroy build:
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby DMcCam » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:05 am

Your build is fantastic! Excellent design and execution, very cool!

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:35 am

Robbie wrote:That sounds simple enough! Are you going to offset the inside lip off the wall any so there is room for the seal to squish? Like an 1/8" or something? Or will you just leave it flush and let the seal really compress?

Yes, I plan on using an offset for the lip. I will probalby use some 1/4 scrap plywood I have. Then I can use some 9/16th homedepot weather stripping for the seal.
jss06

Postby Woodstramp » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:59 pm

That is a clean, awesome looking design, John. Can't wait to see it finished.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals