Whitney's Weakender - Hatch / Galley Lid Redesign - Pg 11

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Whitney's Weakender - Hatch / Galley Lid Redesign-Pg 11

Postby WhitneyK » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:41 am

LDK wrote:Are you talking about a hatch set up kinda like Les45? That would definitely make it lighter that's for sure!

Kinda sort of but not really. Upper half / portion of back will stay connected to the top. Lower portion will drop down like Les' with the addition of the bottom portion to drop down like a tail gate if needed for extra access. Or that's my thought pattern anyway. :thinking: :roll: :? :worship:
Last edited by WhitneyK on Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Re: Whitney's Weakender - Hatch / Galley Lid Redesign - Pg 1

Postby Alan_H » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:22 am

Sorry to dredge up this topic, but how did the hatch re-design work out for ya?
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby WhitneyK » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:13 pm

OK, finally getting around to (with a little prompting ;) ) following up on the completion of my hatch remodel project. Got it done just in time for our TX trip back in middle to late April.
To revisit the reason for the remodel; to lift the entire hatch each time was 60 #'s :shock: AND, we are "travelers", not campers. On a trip, we normally don't set up for very many nights in one spot. We go to an area, see the sites, then move on to the next point of interest on our agenda. :snappy: (do a lot of nature photography) Cooking / food isn't always top priority in our travels and we don't require 3 squares a day :picnic: (takes up too much of our time) just a place to shower and lay our head for (hopefully) a good nights rest :goodnight: Time is of the essence, a lot of our trips consist of 3000 - 5000+ mile journey's :? and only a week or two to get it all done in.
We keep the cooler with our perishable food (which isn't much) and cold soda & water in the vehicle with us (for added room, I remove the back seat of our Equinox and have built a flat platform to take its place, that's another thread....) We only need to access the hatch area for towels / dirties / snack items / spare drinks..., so it's just "in and out".
Anysomeway, on with the show.....
Below is my original hatch / galley lid configuration, one solid and heavy piece:...........................................The look didn't change much, but the function sure did
Image Image

The top lifts up for quick access to the MW, dry goods ( :chips: ), and towels. It reduced the lifting weight down to 30#'s, still heavy by a lot of TD hatch standards, but it's better. If further access is needed to extras down low, a quick release of the latch and it swings down out of the way. Might eventually put some cables on it so it can double as a table / counter top. The latch is made from a re-purposed garage door latch with the flat pieces "modified" to get a better "bite" in the solid frame area.
Image Image Image Image

Oh, the drop down door is normally higher off the ground when I have our li'l camper leveled or still hitched behind our TV

I wanted the latches for the lower door to be solid and not allow and moving around because it would effect the 2nd door possibly. I tried the rubber "jeep hood" latches, but they allowed movement and was too much of a struggle to latch and unlatch. These are simply a lockable / secure inside barn door hook & eye. I can set the tension on them plus if they do become loose, the locking mechanism should keep them from bouncing off. It has a chain limiter on it to keep it off my taillights. Previously, I had a slide out cooler tray in the bottom, but decided to remove it for now.

Image Image Image

May not be the greatest idea to come down the pike, but it works for us for now and has reduced the effort involved in accessing the galley / trunk area. Haven't got around to any "final finish" yet. Had to make all the aluminum trim pieces. Obtained left over gutter coil stock from a good fella (it measures around .032 thickness), and a friend has a heavy metal brake, same one I used on the rest of the trim work when I built it. :thumbsup:
I'm not a fancy craftsman :oops: :NC but it allows us the affordability to travel more, and that's all we need for now..... :D
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby shortgmanp » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:17 pm

I think you are a very good craftsman! Lisa and I were talking about you at the CRA! Glad to see you are doing well.
I am a workaholic that loves a good challenge. It will also give my dad and me a good project to work on together. I plan on putting several miles on this teardrop, so I want to build it right.
shortgmanp
Teardrop Master

Postby Rlowell » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:02 pm

That is AMAZING!
You are a very good craftsman with some outstanding results.
I struggled with the same questions on my build of the Weekender. The results are satisfactory with no leaks that I can find.
I have very much enjoyed watching your work.

Rod :applause: :thumbsup:
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby WhitneyK » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:50 am

shortgmanp wrote:I think you are a very good craftsman!

Rlowell wrote:That is AMAZING!
You are a very good craftsman with some outstanding results.
I have very much enjoyed watching your work.

Rod :applause: :thumbsup:

You both are too kind :oops: , thanks. I'll post the "myth-buster" to this at the end.....

Another reason for re-doing the hatch was that it was taking it's toll on the "continuous living hinge". Now, I'm not faulting this product, I feel that with the weight of the hatch lid and where the props where positioned that it was over stressed :x just couldn't take it anymore :cry: I broke down and ordered a hurricane hinge from Frank Bear like I should have in the first place and not tried to save the cash $> Live & learn I guess :NC
Image Image
(it did last 3 yrs out in the weather)

Also, before our trip we needed some 110V in the cabin so we could charge camera / video cam / phone(s) / laptop batteries at night. I did a simple plug strip install under the shelf.

Used a piece of aluminum angle to attach it, ran the cord along the bottom of the shelf and through the foot board / galley wall.

Mounted a plastic "new work" box and connected to the 110V in the galley that feeds the MW & coffee pot

And then, this is where my careful planning / measuring / engineering pays of..... :thinking: :roll:

I notched the cover to clear the drawer when it closes. :oops: :lol: (goofball!!!)

I could have moved the box to allow for clearance, but by that point, I was pretty well over it :fb and nobodies gonna see it, well, until now. :CC
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Phooey » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:30 pm

Looking very good, they are never "finished". BTW, where did you get the wooden box in the galley labeled "Frigid". Hysterical, I want one!
:lol:
Phooey
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:13 pm

Phooey wrote:Looking very good, they are never "finished". BTW, where did you get the wooden box in the galley labeled "Frigid". Hysterical, I want one!

You don't know it all ! I have seen it up close and it freaks me out.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:17 pm

I just know I am not going to sleep tonight ! :frightened:

http://www.frigidfluid.com/product-category/embalming-fluids/page/2/

serving you since 1892
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby WhitneyK » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:54 pm

Phooey wrote:Looking very good, they are never "finished". BTW, where did you get the wooden box in the galley labeled "Frigid". Hysterical, I want one!

bobhenry wrote:I just know I am not going to sleep tonight ! :frightened:

http://www.frigidfluid.com/product-category/embalming-fluids/page/2/

serving you since 1892

Oh, it was finished. Any changes after the first trip are "remodeling projects". :D

Have several more boxes, some with different names. Several of the boxes still have the original bottles with the wire on glass stoppers. It was an exchange program back in the day sort of like the deposit on soda pop bottles. If you look close on the right behind the 4x4 blocks is the original shipping label (red) to our funeral home I poly'd over to preserve it.

My family was in the funeral business for 104+ years. Started in 1891. Still have some of the old stuff around.

Bob,
Don't you know people die in bed? ;) :lol:

Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby shortgmanp » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:34 pm

Lisa and I just returned from a two week out west. I had the same thing happen to my living hinge. Like you I ordered a hurricane hinge from Frank. I had to replace the hinge before the CRA, so I replace the living hinge with some of the roll I had left over. When I get time this winter I will replace the living hinge. I can not really complain about the product. I had 8000 miles on it over 5 years. When I mounted the original hinge I installed safety straps on the hatch just in case of a failure. So when mine failed I just put gorilla tape over the split to keep water out and did not have to worry about it flying off during towing. Glad to see you are doing well Whitney. Tell Tracey Lisa and I said hello.
I am a workaholic that loves a good challenge. It will also give my dad and me a good project to work on together. I plan on putting several miles on this teardrop, so I want to build it right.
shortgmanp
Teardrop Master

Postby Phooey » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:55 pm

Image[/quote]

Bobhenry, I did know what else was on the box, that is why I asked.

Whitney, would you be willing to part with one of those old wooden boxes? To explain, I used to work in a hospital and I have seen and learned probably more than I ever wanted to. As a result I have a rather "dark" sense of humor. Sometimes if you don't laugh you will cry. You most certainly can PM if you like.
Phooey
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals