Camp Critter update 11/6/2013

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby joebobsqrpants » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:29 pm

Yours looks great! Ill bee keeping an eye on your build for sure.
joebobsqrpants
Teardrop Inspector

Camp Critter Build----update 3-14-11

Postby LDK » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Here is a few update pics of the galley framing and lower galley face frame with doors.

LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby LDK » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:06 pm

LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:13 pm

Lookin' Good! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby LDK » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:29 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Lookin' Good! :thumbsup:

Thanks, since I'm off wednesday I'm gonna tackle the galley counter and the hatch side gussets. Hopefully soon I'll actually get done with this thang. :lol:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:31 pm

Larry,

That galley sure is looking good. Your woodworking skills are amazing! About one more week and you'll have caught up with me (and I've been working on my teardrop for over 2 years.)

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby LDK » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:38 pm

aggie79 wrote:Larry,

That galley sure is looking good. Your woodworking skills are amazing! About one more week and you'll have caught up with me (and I've been working on my teardrop for over 2 years.)

Take care,
Tom

Thanks Tom but if you saw this thing up close you would probably think different. :lol:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby LDK » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Here is the upper galley face frame with the aluminum sliding door tracks in place and the cut out for the AC and DC. I went ahead and stained it and I'll have to stain everything else later.

I'm just about ready to cut the hatch gussets out. :thumbsup:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby GeoDrop » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:32 am

LDK wrote:I'm just about ready to cut the hatch gussets out. :thumbsup:

Larry,

Having just finished up my galley hatch.. here is something to consider. Don't use plywood for the hatch ribs/supports, use a hardwood. The reason being is that when you go to screw on your exterior/interior wood, the plywood doesn't provide much meat for the screws to latch on to given the interior makeup of plywood, since you are screwing into the end grain.

Just a thought, your mileage may vary. :-) The curve of your hatch looks gentle enough that you can probably use two 1x6's biscuit-jointed together to get the right curve.

Matthew
Matthew (& Sandi)
The GeoDrop
GeoDrop
Donating Member

Postby LDK » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:56 pm

GeoDrop wrote:
LDK wrote:I'm just about ready to cut the hatch gussets out. :thumbsup:

Larry,

Having just finished up my galley hatch.. here is something to consider. Don't use plywood for the hatch ribs/supports, use a hardwood. The reason being is that when you go to screw on your exterior/interior wood, the plywood doesn't provide much meat for the screws to latch on to given the interior makeup of plywood, since you are screwing into the end grain.

Just a thought, your mileage may vary. :-) The curve of your hatch looks gentle enough that you can probably use two 1x6's biscuit-jointed together to get the right curve.

Matthew

Hey Matthew
Thanks for your input. I'm gonna have to think on this alittle longer. :thinking:
What I was planning was to use 4 vertical gussets and doubling up on them. Plus I was planning on using oak for the top and bottom.
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby GeoDrop » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:31 am

LDK wrote:Hey Matthew
Thanks for your input. I'm gonna have to think on this alittle longer. :thinking:
What I was planning was to use 4 vertical gussets and doubling up on them. Plus I was planning on using oak for the top and bottom.

Here is what my hatch frame looks like. I used 3/4" oak ply. The top and bottom horizontal pieces were made of hardwood, which did save me. I also ended up installing some hardwood horizontal pieces right next the existing pieces. If I did not have any hardwood, I wouldn't have been able to put the exterior sheet on. The screws would go nearly all the way in but then just strip out, leaving the head sitting above the exterior plywood sheet.

Try a couple of tests to see how much bite the ply you are using provides. You could also use hardwood around the perimeter and plywood for the two internal ribs. Or, maybe use ply for the ribs but use a hardwood for the cross pieces. You just need to make sure you have some meat for those screws to bite into. :-)

Matthew (& Sandi)
The GeoDrop
GeoDrop
Donating Member

Postby LDK » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:28 pm

I think I'm gonna go ahead and try with the 3/4" ply. Like I said I'm gonna double up on each rib or gusset. I'm also gonna use 1/4" luan on the outside and maybe on the inside. I'll cut some kerf in the luan so it'll bend easier plus I'll glue it and screw it and maybe strap it if I have to. I'm also using oak on the hinge and on the bottom. :)
If it doesn't work, I'll try it another way. :thumbsup:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby LDK » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:09 pm

I don't think I'll be making my ribs out of that 3/4" ply I have. After cutting it out I found out it has major void issues.
I'm gonna try something different. I bought a 2x10 x16' southern yellow pine board with no knots and had it cut in 4 foot lengths. I'm gonna attempt to make them out of it. The rib at the widest point is 8 inches so it should work fine. I only paid $14 for the board so if it doesn't work, no big loss. I have a buddy with a band saw and I'm off thursday so you know what I'm gonna be doin. :thumbsup:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:05 am

Let us know how that works Larry, because I'm not that far from that point and interested in doing something like that.

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Loader » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:21 am

The build looks great Larry, real nice job on the cabinets.

Good luck with cutting the hatch ribs.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals