Camp Critter update 11/6/2013

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby aggie79 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:52 am

Larry,

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. Your grandson is a cute little bugger!

Take care and enjoy the new grandbaby,

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby LDK » Mon May 23, 2011 6:01 pm

aggie79 wrote:Larry,

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. Your grandson is a cute little bugger!

Take care and enjoy the new grandbaby,

Tom

Thanks Tom

I remember how happy I was when my daughter was born and now I feel that way again with my new grandson. :) Let the spoiling begin!! :lol:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:04 pm

LDK wrote:Well it looks like my daughter finished her build before I could finish mine. Noah James Mcgehee was born 5/20/11 at 10:12 pm. :)
My new little buddy

What Nice little distraction to the building process - congrats on the new grandchild! :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Loader » Mon May 23, 2011 9:03 pm

Congratulations to Mom and Dad and the extra proud Grandpa!! :applause: :applause:
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby LDK » Sat May 28, 2011 6:12 pm

Here are a few pics of my unfinished hatch.

I'm going to cpes it inside and out and just paint the inside instead of skinning it. The outside when done will have white aluminum skin. The main reason I don't want to skin the inside is because it already weighs a ton as it is. :lol:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Loader » Sun May 29, 2011 7:27 am

Looks good Larry. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You used yellow pine for the hatch ribs, right? Guess that probably increased the weight some, but I bet it is solid! You plan on using gas struts or another type of hatch props?
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby LDK » Mon May 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Loader wrote:Looks good Larry. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You used yellow pine for the hatch ribs, right? Guess that probably increased the weight some, but I bet it is solid! You plan on using gas struts or another type of hatch props?

You know Earl, I don't know what kind of hatch props I'm going to use. :thinking: I did use that southern yellow pine though and it is very solid. Very heavy too.
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby LDK » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Here is a pic of the hatch lid after painting it. The color is called sauteed mushroom. As far as hatch props, I'm still thinkin on that. I weighed the lid on some cheap bathroom scales and it said 30 lbs but I just know it weighs more than that. :lol:

If anyone is wondering about that top middle brace thats where I'm going to mount the galley light. :lol:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:44 pm

Looking good Larry!

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby LDK » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:25 am

Progress has been coming alittle slow lately but I did manage to get alittle done yesterday. I installed the first layer of insulation and started running my wiring. I used 1/2" thick insulation for the first layer and then I'll use 3/4" for the second layer. I'll have to cut a little groove in the 3/4" to make room for the wiring. I also made a small box to house the fuse block and wiring and I installed it in the front cabinet.

I'll have sat, sun and mon off this coming week and in 3 weeks I'll have a 2 week vacation and hopefully I'll get alot accomplished.
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby LDK » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:02 pm

Well I finally got the wiring ran and the top put on. I just went with 4 dc circuits and I'll have 2 simple ac circuits when its all said and done.

I also used silicone in all the spar holes to keep the wires from moving and possibly rubbing the insulation off. After this saturday I'll have a 2 week vacation and hopefully I'll get this critter campable. :worship:

LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Loader » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:44 pm

Hey Larry looking great! Big accomplishment getting the top on! Good call on the silicone in the spars, I'll be doing the same.

So, did you use a trim bit to cut the top skin even to the side wall? What about glue, the loctite work all right? I used it with my tile.

Hopefully the heat will break a degree or two so I can get a bunch done.

Again, looking great!!
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby LDK » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks Earl,

This weekend I'll use my router with a flush trim bit and square up the top skin. I did use that loctite pl premium construction adhesive and I'll probably just leave the screws in since they're countersunk. I'll go over each screw head with the fill-it epoxy filler plus I'll put several coats of cpes on the top.
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:01 am

Larry,

I bet you're feeling really good about getting the outside skin on. I liked how you marked the centerline of the spars and the "no fastener zone" over your electrical runs.

Looks like you're in the home stretch now! Like Earl said, if we can get a little cooler weather - daily high temp under 100 degrees - I'll be in the home stretch too!

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby LDK » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:35 pm

aggie79 wrote:Larry,

I bet you're feeling really good about getting the outside skin on. I liked how you marked the centerline of the spars and the "no fastener zone" over your electrical runs.

Looks like you're in the home stretch now! Like Earl said, if we can get a little cooler weather - daily high temp under 100 degrees - I'll be in the home stretch too!

Take care,
Tom

Hey Tom,
You guys in Texas are having it pretty bad right now. Not only is it hot there but very dry too. Its been hot here too but very humid. This last monday Owensboro Ky made national news as being the hottest city for that day with a heat index of over 120 degrees. :sweaty:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals