"Red Woof Inn" 10-16 update Hubcaps!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby CliffinGA » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks Earl, I did do them individually as I figure if I messed one up I can always redo it and use the pieces I bought for the cabinets. That way I can still reuse some of the mess up and not tell the better half :lol: .

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Well even though my beautiful wife was away for last several days, nothing got done til she got back! Work was crazy and then we had alot of rain so until this afternoon I really couldn't do much except clean up the garage some. Then after church I got home and got busy, and screwed a side wall up!! The cutout for the door was bugging me so I decided to straighten it out, yeppers cut it way to much and when I started figuring where the fender and the 14" wheel was going to be it was obvious I had screwed it up :oops: :cry: . Luckily I had an extra sheet of the ply I had been going to use for the cabinets so I repurposed it into a new sidewall! I clamped both sides together and sanded them down on the edges and cut the other side wall and did same. I then got them mounted on the trailer temporarily:

Side view

and my lovely helper

You may have noticed a couple of things: One no door cut out! Well after my screw up I decided I was just going to use the premade doors off the other tear but I don't want to take off til after the GA gathering by savannah in 2 weeks. Since it has radius's, I want the door to use to template before I cut.

Second not sure why but the back left corner in the first pic is off and not square, not sure why but was running out of time to try to fix tonight as it started sprinkling again and I needed to get it back in the garage and my tools pu back in my van before I headed to bed. Hopefully tomorrow I will start cutting cabinet pieces to get them ready to install this next weekend.

Cliff

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:23 pm

:o About your left, rear side being not square---you will want to deal with that first. :oops: You might get some jack stands under the frame and make sure they are level, not just the same height! Level diagonally! As in put a two by across and drop a level on it. ;)

You have a beautiful beginning to a lot of fun! :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby ian.allen2 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:12 am

Great build Cliff. I will be watching this with interest. It is coming along nicely.
Ian
ian.allen2
Teardrop Builder

Postby LDK » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:29 am

Lookin good Cliff. :thumbsup:
I'm curious, are you going to insulate or is that going to be a solid wall construction?
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:37 pm

Thanks all!! Aunti M the trailer is level as much as possible, what I figured out this afternoon is the left wall is pushd out a lil by the left wheel so I put a screw thru and ta-dah its good.

Larry I am going with a 3/4 solid wall instead of an insulated one as its gets cold here but when its that cold I'm not camping!! The floor and the roof will be insulated. 3/4" still has an R-value of .94 :lol:, the lil tear I have now is 1/2" and the coldest we've been out in it was 20 and with our body heat and the dogs we sweated in there.

Cliff

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TBuilder » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:05 pm

CliffinGA wrote:I found a lumber yard here that specializes in ply and they have 3/4 birch ply that is finished one one side and stain grade on the other. Its cheaper than the ply at HD and Lowe's and I can use it for the walls and not have to finish the inside .

Cliff

Cliff, I just realized that I'm 15 minutes from you!
Which lumber yard did you use? I too am having to deal with an angle frame trailer.
TBuilder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CliffinGA » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:46 pm

Welcome to the forum bud, I went to Suwanee Lumber on Buford Hwy in Suwanee. Cross over Suwanee/ Lawrenceville rd heading towards Norcross and its on the left. I know they are there til 4:30 in afternoon and only til noon on Saturday. I bought some 3/4" Birch ply better than what was at either box store for $60 for 2 pieces after tax. Box stores had it for $40-45 a sheet.

We're having a gathering down at Skidaway Island by Savannah on April 7 -10th for the GA TearJerkers group, and your more than welcome to come down to it. I'll be doing more work on mine this weekend if you would like to drop by sometime.

Cliff

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Loader » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Looking good Cliff! Sorry about the door issue, but sounds like you got it worked out.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks Earl!! Biggest thing is just trying to take my time and not rush it. This week I'll be home more but its slated to rain a lot more here this week. I got lucky yesterday as it stopped raining for a good part of the day but as soon as I started packing the stuff up and getting it back in the garage it started sprinkling.

Cliff

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TBuilder » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:15 am

http://suwaneelumber.com/

:shock: I may never go to HD/Lowes again (for plywood)!

Thanks for the info.
TBuilder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SonofT@B » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:38 am

Cliff, just found your build thread so disregard the pm and questions. I'll check here from now on. I used Suwanee Lumber years ago and forgot about the possibilities there...thanks for the reminder.
Last edited by SonofT@B on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike and Jackie in Atlanta
T@Bitha (2004 T@B)
Ford Ranger XLT 2003
SonofT@B
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:41 pm

No problem Mike, I will be heading over there on way home Friday so I can pick up one more piece of ply and see if the have any 1 x 2" oak for spars as I really don't want to use the pine. I want to build a kayak carrier to go on top so I want stregnth to hold it.

Cliff

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby LDK » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:19 am

Hey Cliff

Figured I'd check in. I haven't done much lately on my build, how bout you? I have been working alot of overtime this week but next week I'll have alot more extra time. I'm gonna try to put a dent in it next week. :lol:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:13 pm

:lol: Same here Larry! Been working out of town but try when I get back on the weekend. Cut out the plywood for the cabinets last weekend and as you can see, no pics!! :shock: it was just bad :lol: . I then brought them down to Columbus with me to see if my installer could shape them up but .......he took one look and said to trash them!! He then asked what parts I had in the van and took out some fillers I had and proceeded to make me a couple of faceframes today. I will make one more on Saturday and install the cabinets!! I will work on the doors on saturday and the drawer boxes. Then next weekend we will be at Relay for Life and will be sleeping on saturday.

Cliff

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals