My Build Journal. Sugar Magnolia

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

My Build Journal. Sugar Magnolia

Postby duke3522 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:45 am

Hi everyone! My name is Duke, and I live currently live just outside of Marion Indiana. We sit about have way between Ft. Wayne and Indianapolis, a few miles off I69. But soon I will be a resident of every back road highway, every interesting site, and every small town VFW hall I can find.

This won't be the typical build journal. Mainly because writing helps me think things through, and I will probably be doing quit a bit of writing about my TT build. Because I'm not just building a trailer, I'm building a new life.

My first decision was to decide just what kind of trailer to build. And since I'm a big guy, and my 24 year old son wants to cone along for the trip, I decided I needed something a bit bigger than a TD. So off to the hall of fame I did go. Looking for a inspiring design that would fit our traveling needs. And after looking and looking, I found not only inspiration, I found pretty much a guide for my build.

So I want to thank the Stewarts for sharing with me their "Weekender" build. Of course, in the spirit of this forum, I am going to make changes, but the Weekender seems a solid build for my lower than normal building skills. This trailer will also clear up space in the back of my pickup, allowing me to carry my power washer, and assorted tools, so my son and I can earn our keep in our wondering.

I know it sorta sounds nuts. My son and I traveling the country, power washing, cleaning, or doing whatever it takes to fill the gas tank and.our bellies. But we have been through a difficult time these last 6 or 7 months. Caring for my dad in his final days. Having our hearts ripped out watching him suffer in his dementia.

But dad is at rest, and it is time for my son and I to go on the road and try to heal our souls. And I have set the 6th of June as our own personal D-Day. We have til then to build the trailer, sell all our personal property, and get the place as ready to sell as we can. Then we are off to see what ee can see!

Damn that's a lot to do! I'd better get to work! :)
Last edited by duke3522 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
duke3522
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:14 am

Hey Duke,

Welcome aboard. There are many great ideas here for people to build what suits their needs. Im in the middle of building a gypsy cart to tow behind my car. There is an abundance of information here as you read through the site and lots of knowledgeable people here to ask questions to.

Sorry to hear of your dad. I dreamed about moving to florida and living on my sailboat...made it about a month till my dad took ill and had to come back. He's doing better but being the only child and my parents are in their later 70's I did what needed to be done. I envy you and your son being able to take off and enjoy the scenery. Just take lots of pictures of everything you build to share with us and lots of pictures of your travels to keep us envious!

best of luck
deryk
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:53 am

Welcome....Good luck with your build and your adventure. You are probably doing what most of us have thought about doing at least once. Just most of us don't pull the trigger. Keep us posted and take good notes and plenty of pictures. I see a good book in the making.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby duke3522 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:41 am

Raining pretty good here, so not much gonna get done. Went and looked at the trailer I'm going to get. First thing is to take off the 9" high rail, and the 4 x 5 ramp. At least I have plenty of steel to reinforce the floor. And figure just leave the grating floor in place.

Had an idea while I was running my measuring tape over the trailer. Gonna build my version of the Weekender a foot wider, but keep the 8 foot length. Then add a 2x7 cargo box to the front. This will serve several purposes. Including a space outside the sleeping area for the batteries I use in the future solar power system, space for the spare tire, and a place for a monster propane tank someone gave me. I do think I need to but a wall between the batteries and the propane tank. Along with separate vents.

BTW, anyone know if you can put wallpaper on waferboard?
duke3522
Teardrop Inspector

Progress Report

Postby duke3522 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:01 am

Hey, hey! Went to Ickes RV Salvage today! Located in Montpilior Indiana, Exit I69 at the Marion exit, and go east for about 10 miles, and got some great deals for my build. 2 nice heavy tinted RV window with screens for $30 each, a very nice door, with a small dent in the frame, with window, including screen. Seen similar doors on eBay for $200, and I got this one for $75!

Tomorrow is the big day! Gonna go buy the trailer at Tractor Supply, get it titled, get it insured, and bring my baby home. Oh yeah, picked up a brand new spare for the trailer at Ickes too. An excellent 14" on the wheel for $90. Then Wednesday morning take the trailer to a buddy of mine who will cut off the rail and tailgate/ramp. Nice of them to provide the steel we need to reinforce the tounge and trailer bed. Then give the whole thing a coat of paint.

Then get the frame home for the first important step. Installing the floor! Plenty of pics to come!
duke3522
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pete42 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:43 am

Duke most car insurances covers the trailer if it should come loose and hit something, it does not cover trailer replacement.

title and tags and your are legal.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

And We're Off

Postby duke3522 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:19 pm

8) Just picked up my frame!

And my son is helping with the deconstruction

duke3522
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Build Journals