Reading Style Gypsy Vardo

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

RE: Vardos

Postby mezmo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:05 am

Hi Kursac/Charlie

Here's a site that has quite a few Vardo builds:

http://tinyhouseblog.com/

After you bring it up search for "Vardos". There
are about 24 various interpretations on the Vardo
there.

Here is a really neat build post [from April 10th] that doesn't show
up under "Vardo", probably because it's called a "Towable Gypsy Wagon"
instead. His exterior finish on it [It's still a work-in-progress.] has the
artistic flair you said you're after. And it's the hybrid shape of a
ledge&Reading, and with a trolley-top also, that you were talking about.
He even made his own wooden windows for it.

The blog article/posting:
http://tinyhouseblog.com/tiny-house-con ... more-18046

The Flikr link with/in that:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/koalamate

It is top-notch and really fits what you said you wanted to do.

I just now searched tinyhouseblog.com again for "Gypsy Wagon"
and that has 44 results. [That search topic seems to include the 'Vardo"
term in it as well.]

Finally, here is a link to an UK builder of "Modern" Gypsy BowTop
Caravans from that second search:

http://www.gregsgypsybowtops.co.uk/

These are really outstanding and could provide you with many ideas
for your build.

Happy planning!

Cheers,
Norm/ezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kursac » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:11 am

Thank you very much, those are very helpfull
I have thoughts
Charlie
Kursac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GuyllFyre » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:58 am

I never knew the Beetle came with the 2.5l. I know they have the 2.0l 4cyl, the 1.9l TDi, and the 1.8T.

The towing capacity is typically approximately 2/3 the weight of the vehicle. Tongue weight and actual capacity get limited by the tow hitch on some vehicles. The ones that bolt to the frame of the car usually get the full tow capacity of the car. The ones that bolt to other places, like the Curt 11161 that bolts to the spare tire well in my Audi, limits the capacity to less than half the weight of the car.
Things I have for sale on craigslist:
http://albany.craigslist.org/search/?ar ... catAbb=sss

Things I have for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/seansmith
GuyllFyre
Donating Member

Postby Kursac » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:31 pm

GuyllFyre wrote:I never knew the Beetle came with the 2.5l. I know they have the 2.0l 4cyl, the 1.9l TDi, and the 1.8T.

The towing capacity is typically approximately 2/3 the weight of the vehicle. Tongue weight and actual capacity get limited by the tow hitch on some vehicles. The ones that bolt to the frame of the car usually get the full tow capacity of the car. The ones that bolt to other places, like the Curt 11161 that bolts to the spare tire well in my Audi, limits the capacity to less than half the weight of the car.

All VW Beetles from 2006 to 2010 come with the 5 cylinder 2.5 stock 170 hp with either a stick or the 6 speed tiptronc auto stick by Audi. for the most part a VW Beetle is an Audi. There is no 2011 beetle and the resigned 2012 beetle looks to be an even more impressive. The official tow capacity of a Beetle is 2200 lbs with trailer brakes and 1000 lbs without. Almost all compact cars today are uni body construction and that is how trailer hitches bolt up. The only things built these days that have full frames are built on truck chassis. Of coarse there are exceptions. I have over 1,000,000 miles experience driving semi trucks and can tell you that my trailers outweigh my tractors by 5 times their wt. The towing capacity of a domestic vehicle is limited by the hitch capacity, power plant,trailer brakes, & trailer capacity. I personally like the Curt hitches the best because of the box tube construction. As far as them bolted to the spare tire tub if you did the install yourself as I did the gauge of the material use to construct the tub is the same as frame material used in compact pickup trucks. As you can imagine 20+ years in the trucking industry I know my way around tow vehicles. On another note my 30' travel trailer outweighed my 3/4 ton pickup by 5000 lbs. There are a lot of factors that go into tow vehicle capacity, A VW beetle is no 3/4 ton pickup as a pickup is no Semi Rig & all of them have legal & dynamic limitations.
I have thoughts
Charlie
Kursac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:48 pm

Hmmm theres a thought for my next car... Im sure it gets good gas mileage with a 5cyl engine and 2200lbs tow weight impresses me!
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

RE: Aside about VW & the 2012 New Beetle

Postby mezmo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:39 pm

Here's a pic from Gizmag.com and a link to it.

I detect a little Porsche 911 in it's profile! Sharp looking I think.

We have a 2007 VW Rabbit w/ the 2.5L & 6speed auto. It is a great all
around car. Great on road trips. The front seats are extremely
comfortable. Great handling and plenty of oomph. Mpg is 30-32
cruising @ 65mph, 28-30 cruising 75mph, on trips between SC &
NY State going up through the WV mountains. The hatch makes it very
handy and versatile. It is as fully equipped as the SAAB 9000S we
traded in on it with the exception of a non-power adjustable driver
seat. It feels just as solid and secure as the larger SAAB did. And it has
great crash test ratings. And no problems at all so far. I'd recommend
one any day, and the Rabbit/Gulf is the base for the New Beetles as far
as I know.

Oh yeah, here's the interesting stuff"

http://www.gizmag.com/volkswagens-third ... re/133238/

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:48 am

Kursac wrote:
All VW Beetles from 2006 to 2010 come with the 5 cylinder 2.5 stock 170 hp with either a stick or the 6 speed tiptronc auto stick by Audi. for the most part a VW Beetle is an Audi. There is no 2011 beetle and the resigned 2012 beetle looks to be an even more impressive. The official tow capacity of a Beetle is 2200 lbs with trailer brakes and 1000 lbs without. Almost all compact cars today are uni body construction and that is how trailer hitches bolt up. The only things built these days that have full frames are built on truck chassis. Of coarse there are exceptions. I have over 1,000,000 miles experience driving semi trucks and can tell you that my trailers outweigh my tractors by 5 times their wt. The towing capacity of a domestic vehicle is limited by the hitch capacity, power plant,trailer brakes, & trailer capacity. I personally like the Curt hitches the best because of the box tube construction. As far as them bolted to the spare tire tub if you did the install yourself as I did the gauge of the material use to construct the tub is the same as frame material used in compact pickup trucks. As you can imagine 20+ years in the trucking industry I know my way around tow vehicles. On another note my 30' travel trailer outweighed my 3/4 ton pickup by 5000 lbs. There are a lot of factors that go into tow vehicle capacity, A VW beetle is no 3/4 ton pickup as a pickup is no Semi Rig & all of them have legal & dynamic limitations.

Very nicely said Charlie. :thumbsup:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby GuyllFyre » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:10 am

Ahhh, someone who knows their way around tow vehicles and knows towing, refreshing to see.

Still, the unibody cars do have frame rails integrated in the back (and front) to provide some rigidity. My '97 Jetta hitch bolted to the frame rails, which are much more solid than the spare tire well.

The 2/3 weight limit is brakeless trailers. It's a good rule of thumb to avoid trouble. Once you add brakes, the rules change, as you're very well aware.
Things I have for sale on craigslist:
http://albany.craigslist.org/search/?ar ... catAbb=sss

Things I have for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/seansmith
GuyllFyre
Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:22 am

link from that page to the 2012 Beetle talks about Subaru's boxer diesel.
Can't get it in the US (article is 4 years old) but boy what a pickup that would make....
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Kursac » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:40 am

I'm am sad to say I have abandoned this project. I have unexpectedly tripped over a deal I could not pass up. I drove by a older conversion van for about a week on my way home from work that caught my eye. One day I stopped to look it over and found it in exceptional good condition for its age as well as completely intact down to the last curtain. I took my wife by to see it and she gave me the thumbs up and I gave the guy a call & then it was mine.

On the plus side though I will be continuing with the Vardo theme on the inside this winter when that construction begins. I am currently working on the mechanical side getting this brought up to speed

I have thoughts
Charlie
Kursac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby pete42 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:59 pm

"I have thoughts Charlie" It seems those thoughts have changed.

Charlie when I was young I said I would never do things I now do on a regular bases.

One never knows what life has in store looks like you found something that fits your family life style right now and went for it no one can fault you for that.

who knows what changes you may encounter later on and I hope it does change for the better each time

don't give up on the vardo you may once again find you want to build one in the mean time good luck to you and your family.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:25 pm

Kursac wrote:I'm am sad to say I have abandoned this project. I have unexpectedly tripped over a deal I could not pass up. I drove by a older conversion van for about a week on my way home from work that caught my eye. One day I stopped to look it over and found it in exceptional good condition for its age as well as completely intact down to the last curtain. I took my wife by to see it and she gave me the thumbs up and I gave the guy a call & then it was mine.

On the plus side though I will be continuing with the Vardo theme on the inside this winter when that construction begins. I am currently working on the mechanical side getting this brought up to speed

That is a pretty sweet camper. What does it have on the inside?
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals