Megadrop poptop trailer build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Megadrop poptop trailer build

Postby Megadrop » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:44 pm

Have been building a large teardrop trailer over the past 5 months but have not taken many picture of the process. So I went out and took some pictures this weekend to post. In the end we want it to be able to sleep four, stand up inside, A/C , and have a indoor toilet and shower. I used a old 16 foot travel trailer ($125) from the 1970 fora donor frame. I cut it down two feet to make it 14 feet long and trimmed the sides down so the wheel would be out side of the body like a teardrop. The axle is a very heavy duty fayette/ dayton with the old large wheel bolt pattern and electric brakes. The frame came with all the pipe and holders for propane tanks (bonus). I used 5/8" plywood on 2"x2" framing for the floor then insulated it. The frame is made of 1 1/4" steel tubing 10 gauge. This made the trailer a little heavier than I like but it is very strong. I have tried to use all used parts to build it and have been very luck finding parts in travel trailers that have been damaged by wind and hail. Some times it is good to live in Oklahoma. The following are some pictures of how it sits today.

Trailer in tow mode

Trailer with top up for camping

Galley area with old norcold 12v/ 120 v fridge and three burner stove with oven.

View look from back to front shower and toliet area. which drains into a 29 gallon gray water tank. Toilet is going to be a porta potty that will sit in shower pan. The shower pan is a utility sink I cut down.

Water tank pump and city water hook up

Electrical fuse box and gfi outlets

First piece of aluminum going up many more to come.

Hope to post more picture as thing get finished up and I have time to do it.

Joe
it's only temporary, unless it works.
Megadrop
Teardrop Inspector

Postby droid_ca » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:26 pm

the megadrop looks cool :thumbsup: can't wait to see more pictures
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby vtx1029 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:43 am

Nice work! :applause:
vtx1029
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodstramp » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:35 pm

That is a wild design, but it looks like you're going to make it go. One reason I like this site is the enginuity of the members. Thanks for sharing.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby Megadrop » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:35 pm

Thanks for the nice comments. Will post more later

Joe :D
Megadrop
Teardrop Inspector

More progress

Postby Megadrop » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:42 am

Have been doing some more work! Slowly getting trailer skinned may be done with the skinning this weekend. I purchased my aluminum from a place in witchita kansas called the yard store they deal in discount aircraft materials and are really cheap. I payed $39.00 for a 4x12 foot sheet of 2024 t81 aluminum. I have also had to redisgn my lift system because after adding the extra material to the roof it was to heavy to lift easily. So I improvised with a torsion spring and cables from a garage door it worked out great and top can now be lifted again with two finger. The use of the garage spring also gave a pretty wide range of adjustment of lifting force. So enough said here are the pictures.

aluminum being trimmer and cut out for window and storage doors. The t81 aluminum is very hard

curb side with top up and galley door open can see electrical hook up access and outdoor gfi plug for

rear view with top up and galley door closed

rear view had a hard time bending aluminum due to the heat treating had to heat and anneal the metal first then carefully bend with large hammer and two boards. it did not turn out as i would have liked it but this aluminum is tough stuff.

aluminum used for skin 2024 t 81 used for aircraft skins and not supposted to be bent or cold worked

drum for torsion spring lift system. My garage door broke a couple of years ago and I had a extra spring left over which i reused and ordered a few parts off the internet like cables, drums, bearings and stop clamps to complete the job. ended up costing me about $55 for the new parts.

plastic cover I fabricated out of thermoplastic for drums and lift tab on top to attach cables. I think it made for a clean looking lift system. and looks kind of cool.

:D
Last edited by Megadrop on Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Megadrop
Teardrop Inspector

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:11 am

Whoa this thing is intense! Really a lot of engineering going on here. It looks like you are going to pull it off though. Nice job. Any idea of the weight? Do you have any photos with the top lowered now? I sure would like to see that.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Megadrop » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:53 am

StandUpGuy wrote:Whoa this thing is intense! Really a lot of engineering going on here. It looks like you are going to pull it off though. Nice job. Any idea of the weight? Do you have any photos with the top lowered now? I sure would like to see that.

Your right I'm starting to think it is over engineering. I think it is going to weight in at 2500 pounds kind of plump I was wanting it to be at 2000 pounds but it is going to be more than that. Here is a picture of it in travel mode.

Joe

Megadrop
Teardrop Inspector

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:00 am

Wow! You are almost done. Its heavy but you have a lot going on in there. If you have the right TV it should tow fine with the low center of gravity and lack of wind drag.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Megadrop » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:18 am

StandUpGuy wrote:Wow! You are almost done. Its heavy but you have a lot going on in there. If you have the right TV it should tow fine with the low center of gravity and lack of wind drag.

I am hoping for good gas milage. That is what started out this who venture we want to be able to take long trips and not get 10 miles per gallon. But with four kids the trailer seemed to grow at every turn. so I hope the weight does not eat into my milage to much I have a 2006 mercury grand marquis that i plan to use as a tow vehicle. it has plenty of power and weight over 4000 so i think it can handle the job just interested on what my milage will be. normally i get about 25 mpg on the road I will be really happy if i can get 17 to 20 towing the trailer on flat ground. I alway see people with large trailers and think you could stay in hotel with the money your spending in gas hope that is not my future.

joe
Megadrop
Teardrop Inspector

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:27 am

The mercury Grand Marque has a huge V8 and is a really big car yet it gets good gas mileage. Rear wheel drive so I think it is an excellent TV. I bet you do pretty well. By the way I owned a Grand Marque once and I loved it.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby campmaster-k » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:38 am

Wow very interesting build. Keep up the good work.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:09 pm

Joe,

That is one cool build. It's almost like one of those Transformers toys. :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

I really like the use of the garage door torsion spring assist, although I'm still wrestling in my head about how it works.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby iSpy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:17 pm

Hi,

Your CT looks more like a Judge Dredd trailer ........ I like it !!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
iSpy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:26 pm

:shock:

Optimus Prime is going to be jealous!

SWEEET looking mobile command attack unit! :lol:

:thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr