the bluebird

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby LDK » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Hey Kent

I had a hard time installing my interior ceiling too. I used 1/4" oak ply and I had to soak it with hot water to help bend it plus use my jack to help bend it in place. I then used wood glue and 1 1/4" wood screws with fender washers and screwed through it and into the spars. It worked pretty good that way.
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby kinto » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 pm

skinning, ack! those 2 little side window panels are the only ply i finished last nite... in the front box you can also see the interior paint color my girlfriend picked out... it looks a little salmon in this pic but it's really more of a sandy/ peach...

this is the thinnest (5mm) ply that the blue box store had (& what i've been struggling with...) sharon suggested kerfing with a box cutter & ruler so i'm gonna try that tonite & i also like larry's idea of using a jack to coax the ply into place... thanks to all for your advice & encouragement though :worship: :applause:

also got the last of the ceiling spars installed last nite & doubled up the rear one where the galley hinge will go...

and speaking of... i just ordered a roll of living piano hinge from monroe & 3 gallons of aeromarine 300/21 epoxy resin from amazon. 3 gallons might be overkill, but the reviews make it sound like you can do all sorts of fun non-teardrop stuff with it too!

thanks to all & hope your thursday is going well

kent
:)
Is a hippopotamus just a really cool opotamus?

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby kinto » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:27 pm

happy friday!

didn't get much done last nite. bought some electrical stuff thanks to standupguy's thread & advice. i'm not putting a big battery in the camper... just wiring it for regular old 110v ac... i figure if we're camping without an outlet we can always just use flashlights etc like we have been for years.

got 2 of these for about $20 to (potentially/ maybe?) use as outside/ "porch" lights. the only thing is i'm not sure where i'd put the switches since my walls are only 3/4" ply and i'd rather not have giant honking switch boxes stuck to the wall. any ideas for non-obstrusive, yet handy placement would be greatly appreciated.

i bought the non-fan vent locally before i changed my strategery to electricalifization. the 110v fan one was ordered from rvplus.com, but they did a pretty awful job packing thus the plastic lid was mangled upon delivery so i swapped covers. it's not real evident in the pic as i tried to get it back in shape, but the one on the right is smushed up pretty good.

and the only other thing i got done was a little bit of trim...

the plywood skin is still being a huge hurdle so i'm probably gonna buy some cargo straps, more clamps(!) and a circular saw on the way home tonite to *hopefully* get a lot accomplished this weekend. what better excuse to acquire more tools, right? :twisted:

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:28 pm

kinto wrote:happy friday!

didn't get much done last nite. bought some electrical stuff thanks to standupguy's thread & advice. ...
You do realize that is how Slowcowboy's Wyoming caught on fire. Someone followed my electrical advice. :? :lol:
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kinto » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:14 pm

:laughter: hahahaha! :lol:

(laughing at your comment, not slowcowboy's misfortune of course...)

i've done some light electrical work in my time, just never messed with breaker boxes etc... but my dad was a professional electrician before he retired so he's gonna help with that stage so i won't need to pick a name like The Rolling Inferno! :cigar: :DOH2:

(oh, and i kinda meant your advice and all the comments in your thread...)

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:22 pm

People were super awesome in that thread helping me out weren't they? I do appreciate those with expertise helping out. I am buying my little two position box like you have, tomorrow.

We will fry together! :shock: :lol:
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:43 pm

Kent,

You are rockin and rollin on your build! I really like the overall design. Sawdust is good, and you've made a bunch of it.

Keep on rolling brother!

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby kinto » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:30 am

per budget and logic...

i'm gonna shoot lasers 1984 style!

clean the local blue box of 2" clamps...

make this of that...
(i know!!! my kerfing is horrible!!!)

and not sweep my basement until it looks like black rock city!

happy weekend all!

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby kinto » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:52 am

hose + kerf = great success!

tightest curve dry fitted...

misfires! i'm an idiot! use a pencil!

other than that got much done today! woot!

i know the last few are boring/wtf but i got all the loud/ power tool/ major need-to-be-done-outside cuts fin today that the neighborhood might frown upon if i did loud/ power tool/ wtf/ major need-to-be-done-outside cuts on weeknights when i sometimes get home after dark.

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:51 am

WOW! :o You got a bit carried away with the kerfing; but, if it worked and you're happy with it, that's all that matters. It's amazing that you were able to do that with just a jigsaw.

You're moving along quickly. It'll be fun to see what's next! :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby kinto » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:45 pm

@sharon... thanks! yeah, as we discussed i'm new to kerfing... i may've gone a little crazy but did get the tight inner curve glued & screwed tonite so i'm definitely happy with it. plus the end result will be painted so all the kerfs will be filled/ siliconed etc. oh also, it wasn't done with a jigsaw... i ended up buying a circular saw & did the cuts with that. more tools. woohoo!

also got the inner back ceiling piece dry fitted tonite & shot a few pics but they're too dark/ fuzzy to post. will try in the morning before work if i get a chance.

hope everybody had a great weekend

kent

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby WhitneyK » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:09 am

At least he's kerfing and not cussing. :lol:
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby kinto » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:12 am

@whitney... not sure if you're familiar with the movie christmas story, but to (mis)quote that... in the heat of battle i weave a tapestry of obscenities that as far as i know is still hanging in space over lake michigan today!

:lol: hahahaha! :lol:

kent

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby kinto » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:25 am

happy monday, happy campers!

inside ceiling... front part glued, back part dry fitted...

kent

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby jbyrd » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:18 pm

Coming along very very nicely, I like it. I really like how your doing the tongue box.
Til later, See ya
Jeremy

My build journal #1 "SOLD" : viewtopic.php?t=45945
my build journal #2 "SOLD": viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59216
jbyrd
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals