the bluebird

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby kinto » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:44 am

@kirk... :banana: :chicken: :banana: mountain dew?!? :banana: :chicken: :banana: caffeine *doesn't *doesn't *doesn't affect me at all!!! :banana: :chicken: :banana:

:lol:

@woodstramp... so far the trunk hasn't been difficult really... just sorta tedious... as in cutting duplicate pieces over and over, then sanding, then moving clamps to kreg what you already did 10 times before... 11 inches... 11 inches... 11 inches.... oh, big surprise! this next piece needs to be cut at 11 inches! :lol: just *meh* busy work (which is important to the finished project of course) but still seems like nothing accomplished for the hours spent while actually fabricating because it's not even visually obvious in the end... if that makes any sense :?

(and that's *exactly* why i primed the inside early a couple nites back... not really necessary yet, but sometimes a larger sense of eyeball accomplishment helps to keep pushing forward...)

:thumbsup:

@tom... honestly i'm not really stressing... i can't wait to get home everyday to work on this thing... it's what i said to woodstramp above... well, plus most of what i say on here should be taken entirely as tongue-in-cheek... trying to make an interesting post out of a freakin' boring no-pics nite... that said, if i'm asking/ discussing something serious it'll be obvious :D

anyway, regarding the trunk hardware, i found a great set of pics... neogeo(?) geodrop(?) or something like that... have it bookmarked at work... outside link, but think he might be a member of this site(?) and it's super informative... can link you if you're interested...

(at the girly-girl's casa tonite... no camper worky pics...)

nite all
:)
Is a hippopotamus just a really cool opotamus?

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby kinto » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:46 am

ok... here's the link i mentioned to tom up there... just in case anybody's trying to figure out their hatch latch, it's very informative...

(not mine... from the GeoDrop blog...)

http://teardrop.n523rv.com/?tag=galley-latch

happy friday! woohoo! :dancing :P

kent

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:40 pm

Ima Red Bull man mysssssseeeeeellllllfffffff.

Iv been known to do a dance or two on the bull.

:chicken: :chicken: :chicken: :banana: :banana: :banana: :P :P :P :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby kinto » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:47 pm

sooo boring at work today so i finally detailed the wiring scheme... here's the plan...

pencil lines are hot, yellow lines are neutral, green is ground.

(15A breaker)
4x 110v 15w 8mA candelabra lights (outdoor rated... 2 inside, 2 outside...)
4x toggle switches rated at 110v 4A for lights
1x 110v 1A roof vent fan
1x 2 receptacle (4 outlet) circuit with GFCI first position
(for laptops, battery chargers, ipod dock, christmas lights etc...)

(20A breaker)
1x 2 receptacle (4 outlet) circuit with GFCI first position
(A/C, heater, microwave etc potentially used on this side...)

the light sockets, toggle switches & fan are 2-wire, no ground... GFCIs are located in the galley...my dad is a retired professional electrician and said this should all work fine... (well, i explained over the phone... he hasn't actually seen this drawing...)

oh also... the 2-wire is cut up 13A extension cord, the outlet circuits are 12G 3-wire, & dad said he has some 3-wire 9G for the power inlet to the breaker box.

any thoughts/ suggestions?

kent

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:54 pm

Looks Great Kent. :thumbsup:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby Woodstramp » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:04 pm

Kent,

All looks Kosher, except how you've drawn "hots" attaching to tops and bottoms of circuit breakers.

Also, you don't need GFI recepticles for each one. If you feed breaker power to the first GFI recepticle you can run plain old recepticles downstream on that same branch. There is a small sticker that has to be removed first to add parasitical recepticles. In the GFI box will be additional labels to put on the plain ones that are covered by ground fault from that initial GFI receptical in the chain.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby kinto » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:22 am

gracias kirk-san!

@woodstramp... i've light done wiring & my dad is a retired electrician & i gladly take advice from any positive source!

so yes!

my saturday was...

then my love came over when the sun went down...

kent

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby Breezy13 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:22 am

Great progress man!!
Breezy13
Teardrop Builder

Postby Woodstramp » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:15 pm

Kent,

No biggie. You look like you have all aspects of construction in hand. But if your Pops is a retired sparky...it would be good to have him do a once-over on your wiring before you use it.

If your Dad lived long enough to retire from the electrical trade, then he knows the number one electrician's rule:" Don't trust anyone...especially yourself!" His final inspection might prevent some future smoked Kent.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby kinto » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:04 am

thanks breezy! :D

@woodstramp... at this point i've only cut the thru-the-roof wires to usable length & marked them with masking tape & unique symbols so i could get the top insulation dealt with & the wires will be easier to identify later... all just hanging inside right now... pop's coming over for final installation because i've never wired a breaker box before.

anyway, got the other door's window cut & hinge done today & *pretty much* figured out the galley hatch handle sitcheeayshun, but that's about it... it's been dark & rainy here all day so did more lazy/ sleepy/ netflix couch time with the girl than camper work.

will try to shoot a couple pics before heading to the orifice tomorrow. :lol:
(just kidding... as 9 to 5's go, i really dig mine...) :thumbsup:

nite all

kent

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby WhitneyK » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:33 am

Yep, I know exactly what you're talkin' about :rainy:

I was going to try to finish putting a motor on a zero turn today..... outside.

I think 80% of the hatch latch is mental :? once you get paste that, it's a piece of cake. It's really not that hard once you "phyco analize" it. Once you come down off the 'dew', and wasn't 'freakin out', it all fell into place. :lol:

That's great that your dad's comin' over to help. He'll like being "involved" with it. I'm not tryin' to turn this into a sob story, but I lost my dad quite a few years ago and he would have got a kick out of helpin' with my build. Probably would have been done by now too.
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:03 am

Kent,

Your build and your posts are coming so fast, I'm going to exceed my daily internet time allotment at work!

The hatch latch looks great. Thank you for posting the detailed construction pictures.

Wiring diagram - I didn't know you're supposed to make one. Here's a bit of advice for you - hang on to your diagram and notes. I labelled both ends of all of my wiring runs, cut off one end and installed the fixtures according to my numbering scheme, but then couldn't locate my diagram. So...I had to test each circuit to see what was hooked to what, and made a second diagram.

The doors and windows look really cool, too!

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby kinto » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:50 am

@whitney... sorry to hear about your dad, but i'm sure you're correct & he would've loved it. mine's called a few times excitedly asking if i'm ready to wire it up yet & has apparently been stopping by my house regularly while i'm at work to check the progress! (mom told me!) :lol:

@tom... thanks! here's a quick pic i snapped today of the overall progress...

:lol: HAHAHAHA! :lol:

(i actually think that thing looks weirdly awesome!)

anyway, snapped a few shots before work... so both doors are on but i still need to take them back off, cut them down a bit, figure out weatherproofing, handles & such...

here's a detail... i'm pretty happy with how they turned out. it's a monroe plastic hinge, wood trim strips (3/4"W x 1/4"D) & 1" pocket screws with #10(?) finish washers... i staggered the screws so they won't hit each other & the wood strips actually serve as a doorstop at a little over 90 degrees open...

as for the hatch latch, it's going like this...

my ribs aren't as deep as that GeoDrop link i posted earlier, so i'm experimenting with a wood strip small enough for the peg thingys to turn around it, but will still *hopefully* be enough to anchor the handle...

this *should* also sorta help 'lock' the rods to the pegs... (i think!) :?

and if all of this works to plan i'm gonna fill in/ reinforce the entire space where my finger is with more layers of the same strip material from front to back...

oh, also realized last nite that i should *probably* actually *test* the fan first rather than finding out it doesn't work after installing it...
great success! that sucka really moves some air!

hope everybody's having a good monday... i myself am a bit groggy from the weekend's festivities :tipsy: :lol:

werd.

kent
Last edited by kinto on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:41 pm

i myself am a bit groggy from the weekend's festivities

Me too and I didn't even drink! :) (Maybe that's the problem.....)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby kinto » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:33 am

S. Heisley wrote:Me too and I didn't even drink! :) (Maybe that's the problem.....)

ummm... me neither!

:whistle: :angel: :whistle:

removed the doors last nite to cut them down a bit...

i originally decided to make the doors myself to save a few bucks, but in hindsight after the windows, handles, hinge materials, weather strip, aluminum trim (maybe) and time spent... i'm thinking if i ever build another one i'm going with pre-fab.

careful with that axe, eugene

started on galley hinge...

(what?!? that doesn't even make any sense!)

and one for you sawdust fiends...

happy tuesday... hope all is well :thumbsup:

kent

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals