Robbie's Benroy build- Now For Sale...

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Robbie » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks guys! I'm planning on using the 1200# HF trailer. I got the stock axle placement dimensions from another member and with the 4.80 x 12 tires and the axle @ 38-40 inches from the back the doors will have good clearance. I'm going to leave the axle somewhat loose so I can dial in the tongue weight before I weld the spring perches on. Even at the stock position the door will clear. I moved the tire placement in CAD a few times to make sure. I'll post the side view from CAD tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again for the encouragement! I can't wait to get started!

*Edit: Profile view added to my gallery! Axle location shown is @ 40" from the rear of the trailer. Stock is 42". So just a short move but I think it will help. I'll probably add 12-18" to the front of the trailer via the coupler mod for better towing.
My aluminum benroy build:
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Robbie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:51 pm

So I'm having a debate with myself about whether or not to go ahead and build this thing a 5x8 instead of a 4x8. I've read all the discussions about it and I know the 5x8 will be much more comfortable but it will also be more expensive. Double the sheeting costs, more roof spars, more expensive trailers available. If I do go 5x8 I think I'm going to split the ceiling and outer skin panels down the middle (front to back) and use a little trim piece to cover the seam on the inside and one of these FRP trim pieces to join the seam on the outside.

I figure I'll screw this down to the 1/8" Lauan top layer and then fill the slots with a polyurethane or silicon sealent and then push the panels right into the slots. This would create a water tight seal right? I'm just contemplating how the butt seam will go when the panels meet up by the vent now.

Aaaahhh.... Too many options! How does anyone make up their minds around here!!! :shock:
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby CliffinGA » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:50 pm

Robbie I will be at that point hopefully in 2 weeks butt I'm running my seams the other wa My benroy is 5 1/2 ft x 8 ft so right now I'm going to run 2 layers of 1/8" luan on mine and alternate the panels first layer at 3ft and the sacond seam at 7ft and then the second layer start at 4ft and the second seam at 8ft. All the seams will be on the spars so will have a hard surface ub=nder the seams. I may change the top layer to aluminum but I will still seam it the same way. Do a search on the frp and the trim pieces to seam them because I believe I read on here about them not holding up to the UV's.

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GuyllFyre » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:20 am

Start with the 4x8.
Build it, use it, sell it.
Build a 5x8.

Simple progression. :)
Things I have for sale on craigslist:
http://albany.craigslist.org/search/?ar ... catAbb=sss

Things I have for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/seansmith
GuyllFyre
Donating Member

Postby Robbie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:59 am

I think Guy hit it right on the nose. I'm going to stick with my 4x8 plans and use it for next years camp trips and then try and sell it at the end of the year and hopefully build a 5x8 that is more involved and has more amenities. I wanted to build this on a small budget and doing a 5x8 will totally push it over. Maybe I'll spend more money on the fan vent instead of the static vent or better lighting/electrical or something down the line. Thanks for your input guys!
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Robbie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:36 am

I updated the cross section of the trailer and added a cabinet above where our heads will lie. It's pretty low profile, might still get in the way but we'll just need to be careful getting up and laying down. I think it will be handy for storing smaller items. The face frame will be CNC'd out of lite-ply with a lite-ply bottom. There are 2 doors on the outsides with an open cubby area in the center. The doors will be 3/4" MDF panel CNC'd out with a profiled edge and a piece of frosted plastic in the center for a little dress-up touch. I will add a close up of the cabinet area so you can see it better.

Since I can't start assembling it yet I'm going to get it all modeled up in Solidworks this weekend. I will post some 3-D pics when I get it finished!
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby campmaster-k » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:33 am

Robbie,
I had the same thoughts. I went with the simple 4x8 and I am happy with it so far. I will build another but I am not sure it will be bigger, maybe just more plush.
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby CliffinGA » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:28 pm

See I cheated and paid $600 for my first tear and after I'm finished with my benroy then I'm tearing it down and doing a 4 x 8 cubby to sale on that frame. Robbie can't wait to see the 3 d drawings so I can picture the cabinet your talking about. In mine I'm just doing a shelf in there over our heads for small things with a lip, also where the reading lights will attach to.

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Robbie » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:13 am

Cliff, the shelf idea that you have was exactly what I had before I decided to put the cabinet in. I figure with no galley storage another cabinet for the smaller things will be nice. And I've got the extra lite-ply material for it so why not.

I also think I'm set on putting the battery in the rear storage compartment now and using the tongue box for the dirty camping stuff. This way the battery will add a little extra weight behind the axle and all the electrical will be in the same place.

I was looking at trailers again yesterday and I think I'm leaning more towards building a trailer now. For the price of the HF 1200# trailer shipped I can order the Northern 2000# axle kit (which has everything needed), a coupler (cheap), and some cheap used rims/tires and have a much stronger trailer for the same price. A few friends of mine and my neighbor can weld really well so I'm going to talk to them about helping me out before I decide but I think I will end up building.
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Robbie » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:58 am

I got the model just about finished up! Just need to add the accessories. I added a bunch of screen shot pics of it in my album. I'll upload a few to this thread later today.
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Robbie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:45 pm

Got some work started on the Benroy today. I broke down and ended up going with the 5' wide platform just for comfort and it won't be all that much more cost wise. Plus it will help the resale value down the road.

Here are some pics of the model I drew up in Inventor of how it will look finished...

And here is where I am so far. Got the floor all built with 2x2 pine sub-floor and 1/2" OSB decking. I used 2 sheets of OSB and seamed them over the center support. All was glued down with poly construction adhesive and then screwed with 1.5" screws. I built the frame first and then laid the panels down onto the frame.

And then the good 'ol black goo. I used Henry's 201 roofing tar. It was about $14 a gallon at the HD. I left it in the sun all morning to soften it up and when I was ready to apply it was nice and runny. Applied very easily with some old paint brushes and luckily I didn't make much of a mess with it. I'll let it dry for a few days and then reapply it in the thin spots as needed.

One tip for working with the roofing tar is to let it warm up before you apply it. The runnier it is the easier it is. It started to thicken up at the end and I could tell it was gonna get tougher.

Hopefully next week I can get the walls up!!!
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:27 am

Nice 3D model Robbie. Watching you start your build is really making me want to get start on my next one! I'm planning on selling my trailer in a month, and starting the new one! Nice choice going 5-wide.

Are you still planning on building on the HF 4x8 trailer? or are you going with a 5x8 frame?
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Robbie » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:17 pm

I think I'm going to build the trailer custom at 5x8. I was thinking the main frame to be 16 ga. 2x2 tube steel with the tongue and tongue supports being 11 ga. 2x2 steel with some sort of axle kit. Or if worse comes to worse I'll get the Northern Tool 5x8 trailer.
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Danny » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:20 am

Robbie wrote:I think I'm going to build the trailer custom at 5x8. I was thinking the main frame to be 16 ga. 2x2 tube steel with the tongue and tongue supports being 11 ga. 2x2 steel with some sort of axle kit. Or if worse comes to worse I'll get the Northern Tool 5x8 trailer.
:o why not go with a HF? They are pretty sturdy little trailers...3/8'' bolts and, you can always weld it up..once you square it up and bolt your floor down with carriage bolts, It ain't going to come apart..Title papers come with it also.. Just some things to think about..Keep making sawdust... :thumbsup:
Danny
The 300 Club

Postby Danny » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:23 am

GuyllFyre wrote:Start with the 4x8.
Build it, use it, sell it.
Build a 5x8.

Simple progression. :)
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Exactly!!
Danny
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals