Robbie's Benroy build- Now For Sale...

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Robbie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:08 pm

My original plan was to go with a HF 4x8 trailer but since I've decided to build it as a 5x8 and the floor is already finished I'm going to price out building a 5x8 or just order the 5x8 kit from Northern Tool. It all came down to comfort and what would be the point of building it all if we wouldn't be comfortable. And the 5x8 will give us that added comfort to make this project even more worth while.
My aluminum benroy build:
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:15 pm

I'd have to say, if you want a 5x8, start with a 5x8. :thumbsup:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:50 am

It'll certainly be easier to build a 5x8 teardrop on a 5x8 trailer frame. The main problem with building a 5-wide on a 4' frame, is the wheel wells interfering with your bed.

My next is going to be 5x10 on a 4x8 frame, but I wanted the tucked wheels. It just took some extra consideration to be able to have the full queen size bed.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Robbie » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:09 pm

Ya if I would have thought a little ahead and had a HF frame to get the wheel placement measurements then I would have built a 5' wide on the HF frame but since it's already started and I have all winter (even though I want it done sooner! :lol: ) I'll just build a simple 5x8 trailer platform.
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Robbie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:17 pm

After debating on what roofing material to use now that I'll need 4 sheets of FRP instead of the original 2 and have 4 seams instead of 1, I'm leaning more towards skinning the roof with 0.04 aluminum. I got a quote from a local metal supply company and a sheet 5' wide and 15' long will only be about 50 bucks more than the FRP. I'm thinking the extra cost will balance out after I have to seal and cover each seam with trim and just the peace of mind of not having any joints up there to leak will be worth it. I'm planning on using construction adhesive (or similar) around the outside edges, vent hole, and bottoms and then fastening it with stainless screws around the perimeter and vent so it can float in between.
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:06 pm

That sounds like a better, more permanent solution! Are you going to get natural or painted? :thinking:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Robbie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

I think I'm gonna stick with the natural. I like the way the silver looks with a color on the walls.
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Robbie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:13 pm

My wife and I got some more progress done on the trailer today. We got the sides all glued and screwed on and got all the roof spars in. It seems the more work we do and the more we talk about it the more excited she gets which gets me excited and motivated to get it done. She is thinking she wants to change up the design of the upper cabinet so I am going to toy with different design ideas for it tomorrow at work. Anyway, on to the pics!

viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:50 am

Hey Robbie,

The teardrop looks great! Y'all don't waste any time. At this pace, you'll be camping before snow hits.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:53 am

It's looking really good so far! Keep going! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Robbie » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks you guys! I would love to have it campable before the snow hits! Even just to tow it out to the desert and do a picnic in it or something. :lol: Hopefully I can supply another update with pics this week!
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:55 am

Nice lookin progress Robbie!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Great progress Robbie! Hows the arm healing?

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Robbie » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:33 pm

It's funny you ask that Cliff because all this work on the trailer is making it pretty sore. I got a ton of work done tonight and will probably go ice my wrist and finger after I update my post here. I don't need my brace anymore but it still gets sore with lots of use but i just can't help it. I want to build this thing!!! :lol:

On to the update...

I got the entire inner layer of 1/8" ply glued and stapled in and also got that rear storage box all built out. I'm gonna have a busy day when I clean up all the staples and get to spackling the interior so we can prime it all! That's for sure! :thumbdown: For some reason the stapler would only shoot in every other staple so there are quite a few that are still sticking half out. When all the construction adhesive dries I'm going to set in the staples that aren't too far gone and just pull the ones that are. We used a ton of staples. I guess I can blame that on my OCD.

My wife is loving this thing! She gets more excited about it the further along it comes. Getting it all enclosed really made her love it and realize its quite roomy inside. Could probably fit 4 people comfortably to play cards or something if the weather gets bad.

And here's my awesome wife who is helping me get it all together.

Here is the front of the inside. I had traced out where the cabinet will be on the wall but I think the pencil is to thin to see in the pic.

viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

Postby Robbie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:05 am

Well we got the inside all spackled and the next step there is to sand it all and get it all primered. I started sanding the cabinet too and next week i'll get the hinges and get the doors all mounted and aligned before I paint. My buddy also dropped off the steel for the trailer frame last night. The main frame is 16 gauge 2x2 steel and the tongue and supports are going to be .125" wall 2x2 steel with gussets in the corners. Hopefully I can get this thing rolling and trimmed inside in the next couple weeks!!!
viewtopic.php?t=45640
Robbie
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals