Lance and Becky's Sagwagon

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Lance and Becky's Sagwagon - We're Legal!!

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:55 pm

pchast wrote:Congrats on the completion. :D

Can you describe what you did with the paperwork a little more?
How much do you feel your organization contributed to getting
your registration accepted? Were the build pictures as important
or was the official just sincerely interested?

Thanks,

The receipts were very important as far as the frame was concerned. I don't know about NY, but here in Maryland that is the main thing they are interested in because if you can't show receipts for the parts to build the frame you better have a title or registration to show where it came from. (If I had used a trailer kit that came with a certificate of origin this would not have been a problem.)

As far as the pictures....they require you to submit pictures from the rear and side so they can see that the lights, the chains, and the fenders (the safety stuff) is installed. The MVA clerk that I called and talked to before I went told me I needed pictures with a side view and rear view. She wasn't specific about what they needed to see and my side view was taken from too close up and it didn't show the chains. They almost turned me away but I happened to have another picture with me that you could just see the chains hanging down so they took that, but it was a close call. Lesson learned, if NY requires pics make sure all those required safety items are clearly visible. The interior and galley pics she just wanted to see because she was curious and she thought it was cute. (So do I !!)

The other receipts she didn't really look through she just took the total off of my spreadsheet in figuring the excise tax I had to pay. I had kept a separate accounting of items I purchased in Maryland and already paid sales tax on and items I had ordered online and did not pay tax. A clerk I had talked to on the MVA info line had told me I would not have to pay tax a second time on those items I purchased in Maryland. She was wrong. I was told it is NOT a sales tax, it is an excise tax (the state excising the money from my wallet....). But I am just happy to have that vin plate and tag and I am very happy that I was organized and ready for them, and yes....I think it made a difference.

I hope that helps, but there is so much difference from state to state, you may not find the same conditions apply when you get to your local licensing office. And if you call first, you may not be given the right info either. It's been known to happen....

Good luck!!!
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Re: Lance and Becky's Sagwagon - We're Legal!!

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:30 pm

Oldragbaggers wrote:Glory be...we are road legal. I have a Maryland tag and a vin plate for my home built trailer!!

...so we are GOOD TO GOOOOOO. Very happy.

Congratulations, Becky. You did an awesome job! It is meticulous, even down to the piping on the pillows! :thumbsup:

Now, GOOOOOO Enjoy!!! :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Lance and Becky's Sagwagon - Hatch Details

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:22 pm

I've spent some time tweaking my hatch and I think I have got everything sealed up tight. Only time will tell, but I've caulked, sealed, tweaked gasketing, tightened drawdown latches and peeked all around with my flashlight looking for areas where I can see gaps and it's looking pretty good.

My placement of rivets and errors in cutting my hatch edge trim made it difficult to come up with a good way to use the end caps for the trim, so I came up with a different solution. I had a gap at the top of the trim on the passenger side because I had started attaching it from the top but when I got to the bottom it was 1/4" too short. So I removed it, filled all the rivet holes with epoxy, moved it down, and reattached it. The problem is, that left me with a 1/4" gap at the top between the trim and the hinge. I had some hard black sheet rubber so I cut a little piece to fill that gap (did it on the other side too just so it would look consistent). Turns out that also closed up the bottom nicely under the vinyl insert to make it easier to fill with caulk and get a good seal. So then I extended the vinyl insert over this piece of rubber, filled it with black silicone caulk and after it had hardened I took a razor knife and cut it off at an angle just make it look a little bit more finished and to deflect water better.

The one big gap I had has been filled very well with gasketing and a piece of closed cell foam from an old boat cockpit cushion. (Same on the other side) I closed up all the ends of the vinyl insert with black silicone caulk.

I didn't leave as much of an overhang with my hurricane hinge as I should have, and even if I had I am definitely going for overkill here, so I got a small piece of rain gutter from Grant Whipp and put a 2" piece on each side aligned with the hinge. (And if it happens that you also forgot to leave an overhang with your hinge I might suggest this as a solution before you spend the money to buy a whole new hinge.)

There is a lot of silicone caulk in all the gaps and cracks. We shall see the first time we travel down the highway in the rain how well it all worked out, but I am hopeful. :)
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Look like a great fix becky!
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:18 pm

+1

Lets hope that it stays tight for you. It looks good. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby PSBreen » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:03 pm

Looks like a pretty slick solution to your problem. I like it. :D
Steve & Cynthia
PSBreen
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:40 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jhtitan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:07 am

Very nice build. It looks great!!
I just picked up my pop up camper frame and hope to start modifying it soon.

Jon
jhtitan
Teardrop Inspector

Re:

Postby curse » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:18 pm

Oldragbaggers wrote: I am also working on a website both for documenting the build and also for informational purposes for other beginners. I will post a link to that in my signature as soon as it is up and running.

Are you still working on the website?
curse
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:17 am

No.... that fell by the wayside. Over the winter I might get it going, but right now I'm too busy playing with the teardrop!!
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Verna » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:13 pm

I have now seen Lance and Becky's Sagwagon in person....and the pictures don't do it justice!!! Becky is a perfectionist (even Lance says that), and the proof is in the Sagwagon. Great work, looks great.

Thanks for the tour, Becky. And, I am so glad that you and Lance came to the CRA. I hope you enjoyed it as much as Sunny Day and I did. (Sunny Day is still tired and she didn't want to get up this morning, and she's still sleeping on her afghan on the sofa.)
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:14 pm

Verna, thank you so much for the kind comments. I really did enjoy the CRA and I loved sitting and chatting with you. Sunny Day is adorable. Let the poor baby sleep.
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:52 pm

Becky funny thing is I came by I think the same time you went by mine. Your exterior of the tear looks great and shows such attention to details. Great job and hope to see the rest in 2 yes.

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:38 pm

I didn't get to see the inside of yours either Cliff. Your puppies had a problem with it..... Next time. (And there WILL be a next time.)

Actually there were a lot of trailers I didn't get to see up close and personal. People were out and about socializing so much (the best part!!) that sometimes it was just hard to catch people around their trailer. And even though I walked around that park many times, I still feel there's probably a lot I missed. I just got done cleaning and reorganizing from this trip and I am really looking forward to the next one already.
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Alan and Lianna » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:31 pm

Edit postReport this postReply with quoteby Alan and Lianna » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:42 pm

Becky,
If it were me, I would still build the teardrop. You have vested all this time and attention to the build, so ask yourself if you want to go through life and say I was planning and wanted to build one but... If it were me, something else would have to go. As for having 2 trailers, well there's always family and friends that could go camping with ya'll. The pride and experience of building it yourself is well worth it! just sayin
Alan

Well, Becky, you and Lance did a great job! and you will never be one of those with regrets! Isnt it a great feeling... Congratulations
Don't just dream about it!
Wake up and make it happen...
Alan and Lianna
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals