Bob's Build. The Tintanic..Some Improvements

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby DMcCam » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi Bob, Great finds for your build there!

We're going to have our mattress custom built here in town. To me, it's the whole point of building the trailer in the first place. To finally sleep on a good mattress while camping. A standard queen mattress is 60" x 80". You'll want extra room around it for bedding. If you make yours a bit narrower but keep the length, you'll be able to buy and use standard bedding for the most part. Are those dimensions your interior space(57 1/2 X 81 1/2)? If so, then I think a full extra long mattress would work very well. The extra 1 3/4" on each side and 1 1/2" end to end would allow you to make the bed with ease. Plus you can use off-the-shelf sheets and blankets.

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bob Patterson » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:24 pm

Boy, it sure has been awhile since my last post. Not a loss of interest, just a lack of time. I hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving. I know I did. I was finally able to get a few things done during the holidays. Image
I got the Henry's on the floor a few weeks ago. This stuff sticks to everything.
Then I was finally able to start getting the walls cut.
And then, (drum roll please....................),
I was able to stand up a wall.
And then.....................both walls!!!!!!!!!!!!Yahhhhhhhh.
Then I started cutting the interior panels. I have looked at so many build journals, I can't remember who used this kind of stuff, but I loved it.
Thanks for the idea. This forum is filled with great ideas. Thank you all.
It is raining today so I'm not able to do anything. :thumbdown:

Sorry it took so long to answer Dave, but we will be using an ex long full size mattress. I wanted to use a queen, but really bad planning on my part dictates a full size. It will be large enough. (Luckily my wife is a petite lttile thing.) :D
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:34 pm

She's looking Great Bob! We are also using a full extra long mattress for our TD too; plenty of room.

All the best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby Deryk the Pirate » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:41 pm

Looking Great so far!
Build Thread lil vardo 1: http://tinyurl.com/baqe6py
Build Thread lil vardo 2: http://tinyurl.com/b3rwffm
Deryk the Pirate
500 Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:47 am

Stunning, Bob!

With the walls up, you can really see how sharp your TD looks. Great feeling, isn't it?

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Bob Patterson » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks guys. I appreciate all of the positive comments. It feels great to work on it. Tom, you're right about getting the walls stood up, even if only for a little bit. It sure gave my wife a whole new outlook on it. She is really exited to get it done now. Pictures and diagrams didn't register with her much. Now she wants to know the window sizes so she can make curtains for it. You were also right about stress levels. When I work on the TD, I get sooo relaxed. :wacky
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Postby kinto » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:22 pm

Bob Patterson wrote:When I work on the TD, I get sooo relaxed. :wacky

i hear that! but just wait til it's campable... it's SUPER nice to be able to focus on small details once all the bigger hurdles are accomplished.

looking great bob, keep it up! :thumbsup:

kent
:)
Is a hippopotamus just a really cool opotamus?

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bob Patterson » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:22 pm

Well.............I got some TD time this past weekend and got some more done.
Inside paneling done and doors cut out, some dados cut.
The forward bulkhead assembled.
I wish I had a garage to build the TD in. (Are you listening Santa?)
The weather in Georgia has gone crazy this week. Everything from nice 70 degree days to sever thunderstorms to snow. I have to keep a tarp over everything on the carport. :?
But the good news is..... I pick up my aluminum for the sides and the roof tomorrow. That means I can finally start putting this thing together for real now. I had to wait until I got the aluminum because I didn't have any other way to pick it up except with the trailer.
I have seen this guy :delivery: just about every day this week. Fantastic Fan, windows, tail and marker lights, (LED), porter cable staple gun, Galco Miami classic 2 shoulder holster :R Oooooops.
Next week should keep the delivery guys busy again. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Grant @ Lil' Bear, a WF-8955 power converter, and a few other goodys.
More later..........................
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:57 am

Lookin great Bob and it even looks like Reggie is up and around and is better too! Keep trucking bud!

Cliff (& Sheri) :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Bob Patterson » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:05 pm

After all the prep work and fitting, it's amazing how fast the teardrop goes together. When I started this morning, the trailer still had the aluminum I picked up yesterday on it. After getting it unloaded, and letting it warm up a little, (38 degees and windy at 9 am) I got started. :snowstorm:
The sunshine is deceiving, it was pure cold.
At this time, it was a balmy 45 degrees. :sweaty:
I couldn't believe after putting it together that I got the same measurement side to side from front to back. :thumbsup:
Now I have a place to keep all of my tools.
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:38 pm

Beautiful! :applause: :applause:

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:25 am

Hi Bob, It' strange how it becomes a real thing once the walls go up huh? Crawling inside the first time is pretty darn cool. You're doing a great job on the build. What does your wife think of her new cabin and galley space?

All the best,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby kinto » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:17 pm

great progress! :applause:

dunno if this would be acceptable to your neighbors, but i've had stapled/ taped clear(ish) plastic tarps around my carport perimeter since july... granted my neighborhood isn't upscale or anything & i've left an opening so curious folks can check out what's happening in there even when i'm away, but it's kept the rain/ wind out & still allowed work even during crap weather/ before it was waterproofed.

neighbors who i'd never even talked to before have stopped by & were totally cool with my carport looking a little weird by suburban standards when they saw what i'm building.

'hmm... how much would you sell that for?' ;)

keep it up bob :thumbsup:

kent
:)
Is a hippopotamus just a really cool opotamus?

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bob Patterson » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:17 am

It' strange how it becomes a real thing once the walls go up huh? Crawling inside the first time is pretty darn cool. You're doing a great job on the build. What does your wife think of her new cabin and galley space?

Hi Dave. You're right about the walls going up. When you can stand back and see all the work and prep actually become what you've invisioned, it's great. Reggie got in the cabin to help me hold something and she was surprised at the amount of room inside. She is really getting excited to go camping.

Thanks, Ratkitty. I appreciate it.
Kent, I tried putting up tarps, but I live at the hightest point in the county, and the wind can really whip through my place.
Thanks for following.
All the best,
Bob (& Reggie)
Bob Patterson
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:03 pm

Bob,

Wow! I don't swing by your build journal for a few days and when I do you're almost complete with the shell! Fantastic job. I really like the size, shape, profile - everything - on your teardrop.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals