Advice 4 ladder mount, trapezoid toolbox, hitch rack, solar

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:08 am

OK Joe : Here is your eat in / shop :lol: :lol:

the left pic is a real simple tarp and spreaders. You can use 3/4 pvc with 1/2 emt stuffed inside ( oil it, its a tight fit) This will become your uprights and four legs as well as the spreader . Just slide the inboard legs in the reciever upright and add the spreader between them. Sewing a hem in a tarp will make a slid on pocket for the tarp to slide over the spreader. Note: if you hem about 18 to 24 inches from the end the flap will drape down between the trailer wall and the legs to help hold out wind driven rain. The two out board legs can simply fit in gromets and be staked off.

The drawing on the right is a 10x10 or 12 x12 popup gazebo room. The inboard legs can be lashed to the ladder box support or simply the trailer frame or ladder box itsself. To avoid allowing the outboard side to lift in destructive wind strap it off to any heavy coolers toolboxes or whatever.

I love my gazebo It has been everywhere In all kinds of weather. It has been the kitchen ,the livingroom, a changing room, and has even housed the porta potty in one corner.

With the mesh side walls it is even a cooler place to sleep on a stifeling hot night. The solid walls break the wind and rain and are a real asset. Nothing like 100 - 144 extra sq feet of living space when desired.
Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:30 am

I dug around in my album and found this pic... Here is my auxilery kitchen dining room set up on the barn

If you look real hard , in the background you will see the other tarp set up we discussed on my buddy Jeffs cargo conversion.

Here is a better shot of his.....

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby arboristjoe » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:52 am

very nice, takes care of all of my problems :)

I can hardly wait for spring to start all these projects, but this is good, I have time to take my time for the "design and brainstorming phase"

I know pvc, but what is emt ?? ____________
arboristjoe
Polka Tornado

Postby bobhenry » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:11 am

Thin wall electrical conduit.... AKA electro mechanical tubing

I found out about this combination by accident when making my telescopic redneck antenna mast.

somehow I just know you are gonna ask.....

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=27494&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby arboristjoe » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:17 pm

is the electric conduit inside the pvc such a tight fit that it is more or less permanent once you put them together ??

or you can use them to slide in and out fairly easily ??
arboristjoe
Polka Tornado

Postby bobhenry » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:31 am

They will slide in and out with difficulty.......

Thats the reason to lube them. Petroleum jelly or white grease or even shortning or cooking oil will allow them to slide together with effort. I left the antenna mast out in the weather last winter and it was a lot of twisting and a couple pair of pliers to get them apart.

But once together for your application there would be no reason to seperate them ( would there???)

We did a little test and the combination of the EMT girdled in the PVC is over 5 times as strong as both products seperatly while still remaining very light and easy to transport. You can use standard pvc fittings to fit legs into the spreaders and they will still come apart with a stiff pull to transport the seperate pieces.

Here is a little chat from over on camp cook about using this combination to make a washing station

http://camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Previous

Return to Build Journals