My Epiphany - Sanding - Sanding - Sanding

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: My Epiphany - Sanding - Sanding - Sanding

Postby starleen2 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:43 pm

to apply resin, I found these little foam rollers
They're called Whizz roller system - high density Foam. I used them first to apply the sealer on the interior panel - they worked great. So I thought I'd give em a try for the resin. They make several sizes. I'm using the 4" foam rollers. They are the same width of the fiberglass tape. I get about three strips down (8 oz of resin per strip) with a single roller before it starts to set on me. After the first strip of tape applied - I figured out the best method. First I lay down a good rolled rich strip of resin then apply the tape - then roll over the top until the fiberglass is wetted out. Once cured, I then sand the edges to get a level edge - then apply a second top coat. I repeat the same process on every seam and edge. I too tried the soak the roll method - but it often put too much resin on the tape and ended up in lots of runs and gooped up tape edges that meant long sanding times with a belt sander.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby parnold » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:47 pm

Starleen:

That's what I'm using for the application of the resin, but I was soaking the glass strips in resin, squeezing the excess by hand, then applying. Maybe I'll try your method on a spot or two and see if it works better for me.

Cliff:

I'm not too worried about eating up sandpaper, I have an endless supply. :) It's time I'm having troulbe coming up with..

The freak storm that took down my tree, almost took down my temporary garage, and I'd really like to get the trailer to the point where the shelter is no longer necessary. I don't think that will be until after Wyoming though.

Thanks for watching, and now for a message from our sponsors....
parnold
Donating Member

Postby LDK » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Hey Paul

I was just wondering if you finished #2 yet.
Are we gonna get to see it at the CRA in july? :thinking:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:38 pm

I've been using those white foam rollers for years and found them to be the best thing for applying resin. They don't scoot the cloth around like a brush does and you can put good pressure on them to work the resin in deep. The only you have to keep in mind is that as soon as you get an inkling your resin is starting to kick you need to hurry up and pull that foam pad off your handle or else it will be epoxied on there forever. Ask me how I know this..... :lol:
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby parnold » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:50 am

LDK wrote:Hey Paul

I was just wondering if you finished #2 yet.
Are we gonna get to see it at the CRA in july? :thinking:

#2 is all snuggled up under three layers of plastic for the winter. It is NO WHERE near finished. I'm hoping to get back into it at the end of March if the weather co-operates. Even if I manage to get it campable I will NOT be bringing it to CRA though. :( It is going to be a heavy tow for my current vehicle, and since #1 tows with ease (I've done over 6000 miles with this TV) I'll be bringing that one.

I do a lot of local camping, and until I get a beefier tow vehicle, #2 will remain a local only camper.

Becky: I've discovered on my own that the rollers need to be removed as soon as the resin starts to kick. :shock:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:10 pm

Uh oh..... I didn't know if you had started using them yet. I just thought I would give you a heads up. I have had to throw a couple of good handles away because I waited just a bit too long.....arghhhh.

Glad to see you are going to be at CRA. We are signed up also, in space 14. It will be nice to finally meet you.
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby parnold » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:20 pm

Oldragbaggers wrote:Glad to see you are going to be at CRA. We are signed up also, in space 14. It will be nice to finally meet you.

I'm looking forward to seeing some old friends, and making some new ones this year too. It's a little overwhelming the number of people that are there.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:23 pm

parnold wrote:
Oldragbaggers wrote:Glad to see you are going to be at CRA. We are signed up also, in space 14. It will be nice to finally meet you.

I'm looking forward to seeing some old friends, and making some new ones this year too. It's a little overwhelming the number of people that are there.

Hope to meet both of you. I surely picked the monster of all gatherings to be my first gathering with a camper. :?
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:30 pm

bonnie wrote:Hope to meet both of you. I surely picked the monster of all gatherings to be my first gathering with a camper. :?

It will take you all of 10 minutes to feel comfortable with the tearjerker crowd. It is an amazing group of people bar none! :thumbsup:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:47 pm

bonnie wrote: I surely picked the monster of all gatherings to be my first gathering with a camper. :?

Bonnie : No worries, there will be the seasoned veterans form the 2011 gathering ( all 300+ of them) and any one of them will be glad to lend a hand when and where needed.

I personally backed in a couple trailers and helped level up one on a rather skewed site so just ask !

And now back to our regular scheduled topic SANDING :D
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby LDK » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:35 pm

I surely picked the monster of all gatherings to be my first gathering with a camper.

This will be my first gathering. Bout time isn't it. :lol:
LDK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Me too Larry. My teardrop isn't even finished yet!! But I'm coming even if I have to borrow a tent to camp in. All building and no camping makes Becky a :( girl.
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:34 pm

I am so looking forward to this. I have a friend coming from Ohio. She just got a Burro Fiberglass trailer and told me she can't back worth a darned. I figure my trailer will push wherever I need it to go. Just need to get it done. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby JTROBB » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:32 pm

I have tried those foam rollers and I always seem to get a lot of air bubbles. It seems to whip the resin up into almost a froth. Is there a technique to keep this from happening? I found that I was having to tip out the air bubbles with a brush or foam brush, so I ended up just skipping the foam roller step all together.

Jason
JTROBB
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:45 pm

After you roll you need to squeegee it into the cloth and out toward the dry areas.. The squeegee will work it down into the cloth, froth and all.
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals