My Epiphany - Sanding - Sanding - Sanding

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby parnold » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:50 pm

jonw:

One of my earlier designs had exactly what you are talking about. A pass through, that would allow cooking (or better yet that first pot of coffee in the morning) from inside if necessary.

One other thought I had with my current design, is the ease of placing a canopy.Having a side mounted table (or the slide out) means I only need to put an awning up on one side of the trailer. A rear hatch configuration would mean two awnings, or dual purpose awning (part over hatch, part over entrance) and much of the awning would be over the trailer. That's a wast of the awning space in my opinion.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby StPatron » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:59 pm

parnold wrote:StPatrón: If only one person wants to lay down, there would be no need to open the bed to full width, they could easily lay on top of the couch.

True, that works for napping. I was thinking of retiring for the night. How happy is she going to be when she's awakened after you finish "working" on your laptop and decide to go to bed?

parnold wrote: How about a sliding kitchen that stores under the bed in design #1. A counter that slides out to put a stove on, with a well to store food stuff and spices.

That was a feature on my donor pop-up and has many merits, IMO. You are able to keep the odors, heat, mouse bait, fire danger and humidity of cooking outside and you gain secure food storage, a priority on your needs list. A height adjustable leg for support of the "box" is handy. The trade-off, you lose that large underbed storage area and will need somewhere to store the bed linens. I seem to recall you having an Easy-Up? Might be able to shade and weather protect both your entry door and slide-out galley with it??
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby StPatron » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:09 pm

Sorry, Paul. I was composing my awning comments while you were posting. Great minds think alike. :lol:

Of course, you still have the option of using that front counter area for simple meal prep or coffee making when you just want to stay inside your cozy camper.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:53 pm

How about a table that folds down on the bed side for just those times. Of course it would add a little more work on the table, but would solve that problem.

I have to admit, being single for the last 8 years or so, I have (happily) forgotten to include someone else in my thoughts. lol.. Thanks for the tips.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby StPatron » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:11 pm

That was quick! And, you gained a bedside table in the process.

When does the build start? 8)
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:40 pm

Gary:

Since I have no garage all I can do until about April is gather materials. I've been watching craigslist for a trailer deal, but have no problem going with harbor freight if I don't find a deal. There is one about 10 minutes from where I work that carries the trailers. I'm watching ebay also for window deals, but will wait for them until I'm about 90% certain of my design. Also, I get a bonus at the end of every march from work, which will just about cover the cost of the trailer.

I am fortunate that I have a trailer to camp in, so I'll take more time with this build.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby StPatron » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:15 pm

Sounds like a plan!

If you decide to become more pro-active in your chassis search, an "Item Wanted" ad on CraigsList, offering to remove an old pop-up, etc. from someone's property can sometimes be rewarding. I see a lot of "get this thing out of my sight" ads. And, when I'm driving my eye is always on the look-out. Like the old saying goes... someone's junk is another's treasure.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:06 pm

I see that you've decided to go bigger with your new trailer too. Mine is 5' wide, and 10' front to back, so you're going even longer and wider than that! All that room will be nice! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for updates!

Btw... I like your new paint job and wheels on the Subaru :lol:

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:16 pm

parnold wrote:How about a table that folds down on the bed side for just those times. Of course it would add a little more work on the table, but would solve that problem.

I have to admit, being single for the last 8 years or so, I have (happily) forgotten to include someone else in my thoughts. lol.. Thanks for the tips.

Have you seen Carter's Big Drop. He does something similar.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby parnold » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Have you seen Carter's Big Drop. He does something similar.

I like that idea, I'll have to measure the curves and depth and see if I can fit that type of drawer in mine!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby myoung » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:44 pm

No cast iron pots and things in that cantilevered drawer, however.
:)
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby parnold » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:46 pm

Mike: I have a feeling my cast iron will go wherever I need ballast. :lol:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:27 pm

Looking at your sketchup sketch, I would just plan on a silverware drawer there. Plenty big for that.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby StPatron » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:56 pm

(stove has been removed, it was located in the center section)

Dove-tail oak sliders and a fold-down leg were used for support. Plenty strong for all the galley equipment, stove, etc.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:22 am

I found a fixer upper pop up on CL for $150.00 I'm going to look at on Sunday. Hopefully I have found my frame, and may get some other goodies in the process.
parnold
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals