The "Slowmobile" Is under way! update 6/27/12

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The "Slowmobile" Is under way! update 6/27/12

Postby TJinPgh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:04 am

Amazing job. I really love the look of that roof against the wood sides.

You mentioned the vinyl was 72" wide. Was it a local source or did you find it online?

I'm curious to see how much the final product will weigh.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:56 am

There is NOTHING typical about this build. So very beautiful and unique. What a talent!! I really hope I get to see this one in person some day. But don't let me get too close unless you want drool all over it!!
:awesome:
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I am racing against the clock. I need to finish this soon and my regular job is getting in the way. Wolfgang and Paul I hope it makes it to Wyoming for the gathering. We should have quite a good mix of trailers and that makes for a fun gathering. Just walking around and seeing how everyone did things. I have taken a day just to tour the trailers and meet everyone. I'm really getting excited to leave!!!

Here is the link to the 78" material. I did not end up using that though.

Here is the place I went with. They had 62" which was my exact width. This also made for a more difficult installation as it had to stay perfectly square .
http://www.duboisfabrics.com/category_s/36.htm they were close and I could see what I was getting..plus no shipping.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:27 pm

Forrest747 wrote:
Alleged User wrote:Results NOT Typical

:surrender:

:thumbsup: :) :worship: :applause: :FNP :beer:

+++++1
Your build stands on its own with very few comparable examples of this level of quality and aesthetic design. :thumbsup:

Nice job.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Steve, it's looking terrific!
:thumbsup: :applause: :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Vedette » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:58 pm

just wrote a nice long reply but lost it some how before I hit submit.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi Steve
I will try to gather my thoughts again.
Your Build Looks Great!
You wood wooking guys amaze me!
As a metal fabricator.......I use the principle....."if you can't weld it ...don't build it"
Wish we could be at Mike's Event..but will be too far away on that weekend. We too look forward to meeting him!
We do palan to be in the Chicago area on Ag. 5-6th.
Not begging for an invite, but we would like to meet some Forum members on our travels with "Miss Piggy"
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:17 pm

Steve, you have another awesome creation on your hands. Really like your style, your trailers all have such personality. Wonderful craftsmanship and ingenuity in every one of them :applause:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:13 am

Hi Brian, I understand the "if I can't weld it" thought. To me if I can't saw or sand it , what's the point? I once knew a guy who had a carpet store. Everything he did was carpeted. You just are what you do often. I wish I could weld. I took it in High School but we never payed enough attention to do any good. We spend most of our time heating the stool of the guy next to us with the torch :lol: Any youngsters out there reading this, pay attention in school, You never know when you are going to need that stuff they are teaching you!! I have getting a welder on my bucket list. If so look out!
Brian, I do not know which direction you are going but mt trailers and I will be in Galena IL on the 6th where my shop is. I will be getting ready to leave for Wyoming the next week. If you are near there let me know. My wife and I have a guest house there. You are welcome to stop and stay a night, do some laundry and have a hot shower if you like. Galena is a fascinating place to visit. PM me if you are interested.

Our Tear Jerkers Chapter has a gathering the next weekend you may be interested in. Here is the link.. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50357

Thanks High Desert for the kind words. I try and put a lot of thought into my builds. Being a Cabinet Maker does offer me an advantage that some others don't have. While I have an advantage with the woodworking I have many short falls others excel at. Just ask my wife... :lol: You should see my plumbing work!! :cry:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby pappaw » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:56 am

In a word: "Sweet" :thumbsup:

Cheers :beer:
Image Cheers from Granny, Pappaw, and Cocoa (the Dachshund) Image
pappaw
Teardrop Master

Postby kinto » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:40 pm

that thing is slick!

i love the colors & your craftsmanship is top notch! :applause:

kent
:beer:
Is a hippopotamus just a really cool opotamus?

imay ildbay urnaljay

kinto
Gold Donating Member

Postby Brent65 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:49 pm

Woodbutcher,

I noticed you did not insulate the roof, walls or floor in the Slowmobile. My question is, have you experienced any condensation issues with this design? I am designing a similar build and love the look of the interior uninsulated roof, yet have read that this will cause condensation accumulation. I am particularly interested in your experience. Has this been an issue? Would you do it again? Are there any other issues that have come up? Do please tell

Brent65
Brent65
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TrailerEd » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:00 pm

Brent65 wrote:Woodbutcher,

I noticed you did not insulate the roof, walls or floor in the Slowmobile. My question is, have you experienced any condensation issues with this design? I am designing a similar build and love the look of the interior uninsulated roof, yet have read that this will cause condensation accumulation. I am particularly interested in your experience. Has this been an issue? Would you do it again? Are there any other issues that have come up? Do please tell

Brent65

Woodbutcher,
I enjoyed this build as well. I agree you have some mad skills so the name does not apply.
I also read your later posting about the performance of the finish. Do you still feel the same years later? :thumbsup:
I am also interested to know if you have condensation issues, since you went with all wood interior and no insulation? :thinking:
I am considering the same idea but got cold feet reading about others with condensation issues.
Thanks
Ed
Do it Right, or Don't do it at All.
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:36 pm

I don't have any more condensation problems then I did with my first build that was well insulated. But I do crack the roof vent and try not to camp below the low 40's over night. I have been out when the temps reached below freezing over night, but not often. If I have shore power I use a small 1200 watt heater but never run it all night. Most likely I will never build another trailer with full insulation again. One thing I will say, insulating the ceiling for sound proofing has some benefit. It can get very loud during a driving rainstorm.

As for the finish, it has held up well. I did add an extra coat last winter. The first 2 coats were the polyurethane base coat, the 3rd was Minwax Helmsman. Mostly because the poly base has a slight milky color that shows up in direct sunlight on the dark mahogany. With any wood trailer you will need to sand and recoat every once in awhile. Plus I store the traier inside when not being used.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby TrailerEd » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:31 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:I don't have any more condensation problems then I did with my first build that was well insulated. But I do crack the roof vent and try not to camp below the low 40's over night. I have been out when the temps reached below freezing over night, but not often. If I have shore power I use a small 1200 watt heater but never run it all night. Most likely I will never build another trailer with full insulation again. One thing I will say, insulating the ceiling for sound proofing has some benefit. It can get very loud during a driving rainstorm.

As for the finish, it has held up well. I did add an extra coat last winter. The first 2 coats were the polyurethane base coat, the 3rd was Minwax Helmsman. Mostly because the poly base has a slight milky color that shows up in direct sunlight on the dark mahogany. With any wood trailer you will need to sand and recoat every once in awhile. Plus I store the trailer inside when not being used.

Thank you for your reply. I am at the jumping off point now to begin a build. I have searched and read all I can at this point. Another words, I am itching to get started building.
I do appreciate hearing a voice of experience. I have been back and forth on the insulated walls thing.
Why is it that you would not build a full insulated unit? Is it too hot inside then?
I am even wondering if the floor is necessary? But I do see a point on the roof for sound. Could be very loud in the rain.
I do like the woodie look and being a woodworker I can see they require some maintenance.
Thanks again for your reply!
Do it Right, or Don't do it at All.
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals