First time teardrop builder - project on 4x8 HF

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

First time teardrop builder - project on 4x8 HF

Postby txcamper » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:35 pm

So, I was planning on building an enclosed utility trailer with a rack on top for a RTT. I starting looking for harbor freight trailer modifications on the web and ran across this site.

I then showed the teardrops to my better half and we've both jumped on the idea. Thanks to all the contributors here, I've yet to have a question that hasn't been answered in a search. I'm sure I'll have some through the build though.

We're starting the project this weekend and I figured it was time to join the board and start a build thread.

We're starting with a 4x8 HF trailer I've had for a while, extending it to a 5x8 base (wheels under the body) and using the generic benroy plans as a guide with some modifications.

The idea is to sandwich some drawer storage on the 4x8 platform that surrounds the fenders with 6" extensions and then create a flat 5x8 on top of the drawers (over the fenders) as the benroy base.

I'm extending the tongue to make room for a way too large tongue box I already have (tool box off an old truck) and I'm trying to keep my budget under $1500 total for phase 1. Haven't decided on all the changes for phase2 yet, but it will involve a larger axle, improved suspension and more height for some off road capabilities.

I'll get my drawings and some pictures up this weekend.

Thanks again to all for the information here, incredible group!
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Re: First time teardrop builder - project on 4x8 HF

Postby canned o minimum » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:39 am

Welcome to the madness !! We jus so happen to have one more straight jacket in YER size !! But.. you'll hafta EARN it ! First thing is to visit another build thread and steal sum ideas that will totally change YER plans...Then ya gotta put the axle on upside down or too near the front or rear...A couple a changes to the galley area and cabinets and you'll be on yer way to that "jacket" before ya know it ! :?

We've all been thar... so we are here to help our fellow addicts with the same affliction ! :FNP
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby txcamper » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:59 am

The changes have already started and we're just making the first hardware store run tonight.
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby txcamper » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:08 pm

Here is the base we're starting with, just a Harbor Freight folding trailer bought on sale and with a coupon almost a year ago.

I've since sold my SUV and I'm driving a truck now so no longer need the trailer for it's intended purpose.

Last night I welded the corners and at the folding joint, mostly just because I've had a 110v flux core welder for a while and no real reason to use it. I'll get pictures of the welding after I've cleaned them up a bit.
:)

Last edited by txcamper on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby txcamper » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:15 pm

This is my first real welding effort beyond a couple folding table tack weld fixes and what not, but here is one of the corners welded before clean up.

txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby Oldragbaggers » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:28 pm

Welcome to the forum!!

So many people use that same trailer you are building on that there is no shortage of information about anything you might want to know as far as modifications or anything. You're starting in a good place and we're all looking forward to your build thread. And, nice job welding!!
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Txbum » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:46 pm

txcamper, welcome , check out the south central chapter for events in 2012...good luck with your build..where in Texas you call home?...Richard..Txbum :beer:
Txbum
Titanium Donating Member

Postby txcamper » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:37 pm

I'll check for the events, thanks! I'm a little northwest of Austin.
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby Dan & Julie CO » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:35 am

did you displace the axle back for better towing and weight distribution?
I couldn't tell from picture
Dan & Julie CO
The 300 Club

Postby txcamper » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:13 pm

I'm curious about the axle placement. I plan on lengthening the tongue by about three feet. The body, plus my tongue box is 106". My axle is currently 42" from the back and I plan on water storage along with a dual deep cycle batteries in the tongue box.

I was reading one of the other posts and it referenced 40% ratio if you plan on a heavy tongue box.

With extending the tongue and a 20" tongue box, do I still need to move the axle?
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby parnold » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:18 pm

Alot of people have very elaborate galleys, and the weight requires moving the axle back in order to keep tongue weight correct. I did not move my axle, but I have a simple galley and it tows perfectly. It's all about weight distribution, so really only you can answer that question based on your design ideas. Tongue weight should be around 15% of total weight if I remember correctly. Extending the tongue will affect how much if at all you need to move your axle. You can also pack to compensate if your a little off.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:44 pm

Slow's right....make sure you are square with your axle to the coupler. I measure off axle stubs. This is especially important on trailers with a smaller wheel. The smaller they are, the more important it is. You can scrub off a set of smaller tires pretty quickly. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby txcamper » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback. After some debate, I've decided to keep the axle location.

Made the decision both because I plan on the tongue extension with a decent amount of weight on the front and the fact that I plan to install a completely different axle next winter and can make any adjustments at that time if needed. The new axle will be wider and 6 lug to match my truck so I plan on filling the area I cut for the fender now and then install the appropriate fender to the outside wherever I put the new axle.

I've owned this trailer for about a year and used it frequently towing engine/transmissions, lumber, quickrete, etc and tracking has been great with no tire issues where it is now so I also was comfortable not worrying too much about making any adjustments for axle alignment for this one.

We finished framing and starting using the sealer I saw referenced in the construction technique area. It's working out great except that 2 rolls wasn't enough for me, and the store was very closed by the time I got to this point last night.

We also got the first side wall cut. we're using just a 4x8 3/4" ply for the sides to keep it simple. My wife was the master with the jigsaw for this one.

txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby Dan & Julie CO » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:38 pm

We will from time to time chime in only to help with any possible pit falls along the way,
that's why all of us are here to learn from one another. Hope you didn't mind My input.
Your side wall profile looks great The Mrs has a steady Hand with the Jigsaw :applause:
Dan & Julie CO
The 300 Club

Postby txcamper » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:44 pm

I don't mind at all, and it is MUCH appreciated. That's why I'm on here :)

I really do plan on a lot of weight in the tongue box, and body plus the tongue box length puts the axle at 39-40 percent from the back.

I should mention that I'm scrounging parts and re-using everything I can on the project.

My 'tongue box' is a full, over the rail, tool box off an old 1 ton ford pickup I had. I'm paying a buddy a 12 pack for the steel to do the tongue extension, etc, etc. :)

I appreciate the knowledge from all and I want to learn. I will be referencing the alignment info for sure in December when I start the axle swap.
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals