First time teardrop builder - project on 4x8 HF

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: First time teardrop builder - project on 4x8 HF

Postby txcamper » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi all, 7 trips so far in the new teardrop, going on number 8 this weekend! We're now familiar with it enough that the changes are being discussed...

I found a possible 5x10 trailer and I'm thinking about transplanting my teardrop onto it off the HF trailer, cutting open the front and adding a sideways bunk over a new custom battery/storage box. (eliminates the toolbox that doesn't match!) Then building additional storage underneath similar to the crosswing, which is the build thread that got us hooked. I'm a horrible packer when it comes to camping (acceptance has set in), and I still end up with stuff in the truck so the extra storage would be nice.

The bunk would only be 2 deep x 2.5 tall x 5 wide, but would get my little one his own space and would fit him for a few years.

The other option is to install a slide out bunk under the interior cabinets in my existing set up.

The third option is to try and squeeze another year out and start from scratch, probably building something like the campster 12.

Any feedback on the decision? - I haven't researched adding a poll on here.

Option 1: cut, extend and add bunk to front and storage underneath all on a new trailer base
Option 2: add a slide out bunk and get a couple more years
Option 3: start from scratch on a new build
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:15 pm

If you start on #2 (your second complete build, that is option 3) now you might get it done in a couple of years!
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:58 pm

I think a temp bunk in your old one so you can get a year or two more out of it while you plan a bigger
family one sound good to me.

A good thing about this one being built already is you can start a new one and still use this one. I know
you’ll want to use some of the same components from the first trailer for the next so there is always some
give and take.

Click goes on a light.

I wonder if anyone tried a bunk that was long ways and not side to side. The cabinets can not be use while
sleeping. The face frame for the cabinets will need to hold some weight. Hum

Only modeled half of the camper. Bunk Over one side of the bed.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mcwbyu82 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:10 am

Outstanding job. Just read this entire thread tonight. Been an on/off lurker on here for a few years now. Made my first cuts on my 5x8 on a HF trailer last fall but got too busy with work etc. The bug has returned as spring approaches and am refreshing myslef and beginning to put the latest plans down on paper. Will be stealing many ideas from you (as well as countless other amazing craftsmen on here).

We have a 3 and 1 year old so I will be foregoing most cabinets for a bunk system right off the bat. In fact my latest design (has changed daily for the last week or so :? )eliminates a traditional galley in favor of a small slide out galley in back. This will allow for a 4.5x5 bunk that both boys can share for several years with only a 2.5 foot overhang over our legs.

Junkboy I have been throwing around the idea of the lengthwise bunk as well. Just hard to imagine what it will be like for us sleeping under it. Need to figure out a way to mock it up and test it out. In my case if I went that route it would just be wide enough for one and would still have a bunk runnign the width at the back of the trailer also one wide. So basically you would have an L shaped bunk system.

As far as the poll I vote for modifying the current trailer for now as well.
Here's a thought. What's is stopping you from cutting open the front wall and adding the bunk above a new custom tongue box on the current trailer? Your current box clears with your extended tongue so why not a bunk above it?
mcwbyu82
Donating Member

Postby txcamper » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I think we've settled on a bunk system for now, I will start a new thread when the modifications start!
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby txcamper » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:26 pm

I'm sure I will be crushed to watch it drive away, but instead of expanding it and adding a bunk, I'm selling.

I'm going to camp in my tow rig for a while (when I can get away) and build another camper down the road. I'm back in school and my wife is starting a business so I'm hoping this can go to someone that will continue to tinker with the project and enjoy it more than I can...

MANY, MANY, MANY Thanks to all of you who helped through my build!

My for-sale post: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=57407
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby Lucky53s » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:04 am

I just read through this whole build and you really did an amazing job, especially since it was your first build. It almost made me sad to see you say that you sold it. I imagine watching it drive away and knowing that you put so much effort in it was a bit tough to swallow. As great as it was, I'm sure the next will be better. Hopefully your new ventures don't take away from the effort you put in the second. I'm sure it will be amazing. It's an inspiration to other like me that mostly lurk and plan but haven't made the plunge yet.
Lucky53s
Teardrop Builder

Postby txcamper » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks for the comments!

In short... It was brutal to watch it drive away. :) I'm hopeful that the very nice lady that bought it from me is enjoying it as much as we did!

The build was a blast though, take the plunge and start building!
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals