Blood,Sweat & Teardrops...

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Blood,Sweat & Teardrops...

Postby bigblockbarry » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Wrapped up a couple small things and found a new thing today. I bought a small tongue box that the sides are a little thin. I had some scrap 1/8 material left so I cut it up and glued it into the box to prevent anything knocking dents from the inside.
Then I buttoned everything up and went out for a test drag. I ran up backroads,through town,and down the highway. At 60 mph I couldn't even tell there was anything behind me. I could not be more pleased.
Now on to the bad. I jumped it in the air on a couple big bumps that I didn't see until too late and did this.
Broke the battery hold down. No big deal,I was planning on replacing this with one that bolted through the floor anyway. I also installed some d-rings just below the top of the mattress to strap the tabletop and A/C down. That worked perfect. I'm going to pull it up to the shop tomorrow and put it up on a lift to double check everything underneath. 13 days until blast off!

Barry
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby WhitneyK » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Barry,
I used these metal hold downs for my straps, the actual name is a footmans loop, here's the link:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/national-hardware-reg-2055bc-1-in-strap-loop-nickel-3511181

I used them to strap down my microwave and water tank on my counter top (oops, tank not strapped down yet in this pic)

I got mine at Tractor Supply for .99 or Menards carries them for .79 each.
Might be a little more solid than the plastic ones IMHO. :NC
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Forrest747 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:09 pm

Love footmen. I got mine from strapsworks dot com. Look in the bargain barn area for some on sale I got the 2 inch and 1 inch.
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:16 pm

Wow,I like those and I have a TSC 4 blocks from me. I was disappointed when I tried to put my cooler in today. It fit perfect or so I thought,then the hatch wouldn't close. At least thats one of the easier things to fix right? I'll get the battery done tomorrow.
Whitney,where did you get the water jug at? I have been looking for one of those and haven't seen one in my travels yet.

Barry
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby WhitneyK » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:46 pm

The water jug came from Wally World, about $17. I saw them at Dicks Sporting Goods today as well I think as well as Camping World.
It holds 6 gal and has a spigot the screws into the big lid.
I can get more details if you like.
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:51 pm

Thanks,I'll check them out tomorrow.

Barry
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:21 pm

I'm trying to wrap up all the small details,but its so hot out there I burned out today. Made a trip to wallyworld yesterday and picked up some things,then hit TSC for some more. Whitney I owe you one for the Footman link. I actually had to come back home and print it out before they knew what I was talking about.
I took off my door for the A/C and sanded the sides down for clearance. I bought a 8 foot piece of the plastic trim you put between bathroom enclosure panels and cut the bottom off with a razor blade. Made me nervous,I've had over 70 stitches in my right arm and wrist,I'm a little jumpy about anything really sharp. Had to shorten my door legs a quarter inch too to let the condensation run to the back.
Stapled on my plastic pieces and rubber feet and reinstalled my door.Its just right this time.
Used all the Footman straps I bought and positioned my new stuff. I think it looks good,what say you?
I also picked up one of these. I have always wanted one but never bought one.Until yesterday anyway.
I installed some d-rings just below the top of the mattress inside and came up with a way to tie down the table and A/C unit. Nothing budged in my 100 mile test loop around the county and to work and back last week so I think I'm good.

Five more days and its off to Utah! :frightened:

Barry
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:42 pm

All the shakedown runs were good,the trailer is loaded,serviced the car,installed a trans cooler and put a new set of tires on. Looks like we are headed to the salt flats for Speedweek. One new addition to the trailer before we leave.

Wish us luck!!

Barry
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby WhitneyK » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:10 pm

bigblockbarry wrote:Image

Love it Barry, Love it!!!

Good luck, be careful and have fun. You kids be home by 11:00 :lol:
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

States we've drug our
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Forrest747 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:18 pm

BUT WHITNEY Madjack and Mike and all their friend get to stay out until 11:45.
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby jbyrd » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:00 pm

Just went through your entire build and awesome work, looks fantastic!!!!! :thumbsup:
Til later, See ya
Jeremy

My build journal #1 "SOLD" : viewtopic.php?t=45945
my build journal #2 "SOLD": viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59216
jbyrd
Teardrop Master

Re: Blood,Sweat & Teardrops...First time out

Postby bigblockbarry » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:39 pm

I have good news and bad news. Bad news first. I have Meniere's Disease and it picked the night before leaving to pop in and knock me down again. I spent Saturday & Sunday flat on my back. The good news. I felt better by Monday and revised the travel plans closer to home. Pulled the teardrop to Greer's Ferry in Arkansas.
Had a great spot right on the Little Red River.In the shade all day and right across the road from the showerhouse. The table I built for the back worked perfect for cooking with the griddle.
The trailer worked perfect! No malfunctions,it rained all night Thursday and no leaks! The A/C worked out great and putting a cookie sheet under it caught all the condensation that it put out.I still look like a goofball though.

Then it was off to Missouri. Landed at Lake Wappapello about 30 miles north of Poplar Bluff. Got the perfect spot for the tear,being as I showed up on Friday morning right after the rain stopped.
Up on a hill overlooking the boat ramp. Had a pretty good walk to the showerhouse but I needed the exercise.
All in all it was good to get away,which is why we build these little trailers anyway. Tear pulled straight as a string and the Cobalt still averaged 24 mpg over 936 miles.I'm very happy with the way it has turned out but already have a couple mods in mind.I can't leave without one more picture from MO. This was taken from about 20 feet in front of the trailer and sundown.

Good Roads
Barry
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:21 pm

I finally got my trailer inspected by the state of Tennessee today.Had to take it to a weigh station 3 counties away and pay $25 for the troopers time. But I now have a VIN# . :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:43 pm

Awesome pictures; great campsites! Congratulations on completing your teardrop.

...Love this, too! :

bigblockbarry wrote:Image
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:02 pm

Thanks Sharon,
It was fun to build and I enjoyed learning how to do most of it here on the tiny trailer site. I was worried about the state inspection but the two troopers were really cool,even joking around with me. I told the inspector that I brought a Bic lighter with me in case he wanted to light the hoop before I jumped through it!
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals