The Finley T1 -Update 8/26/14- All done!!!!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Finley T1 -Update 9/10 Galley in progress.

Postby finleycraft » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:22 pm

Got a delivery today! Some new boots came in :D
finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gunguy05 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:25 pm

Just came across your build while looking for larger builds. Any updates on how things are going?
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby finleycraft » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:52 pm

Well I had to put it into a storage unit for a bit while I moved and got settled in but just got it home last week and ready for moving forward. going to be ordering all my metal soon and start building the hatch. I (and my wife) hope to be done for spring camping :worship:

I'll take pics of my new workspace soon and get them up here.

Its hard to believe I built it almost to the place it is right now in about 3 months and then have made very little progress since the fall of 2012. Time sure flies when life keeps handing you more important tasks like finishing school, moving, and changing jobs. :shock: None the less I am happy to be once again at it and back on the forum. :beer: here is to wrapping this one up for spring!

~C
finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gunguy05 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:05 pm

finleycraft wrote:Well I had to put it into a storage unit for a bit while I moved and got settled in but just got it home last week and ready for moving forward. going to be ordering all my metal soon and start building the hatch. I (and my wife) hope to be done for spring camping :worship:

I'll take pics of my new workspace soon and get them up here.

Its hard to believe I built it almost to the place it is right now in about 3 months and then have made very little progress since the fall of 2012. Time sure flies when life keeps handing you more important tasks like finishing school, moving, and changing jobs. :shock: None the less I am happy to be once again at it and back on the forum. :beer: here is to wrapping this one up for spring!

~C

Glad to hear that things were just "slowed down" a bit. I feared that you might have lost complete interest or life had gotten to far in the way to allow completion of the project.

Looking forward to the pics. Hope to see them soon...

Good luck on priming the pump again on things.
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby finleycraft » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:23 pm

Well I got some serious progress this weekend, I got the exterior skinned with plywood and made some modifications to my galley that will make my hatch easier to make. Thanks to grant over @ lilbear I am getting some more goodies soon that will get me even closer to completion. I'll post pics tonight!

Caleb
finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Re: The Finley T1 -Update 4/11 Hatch in progress

Postby finleycraft » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:12 am

Well spring has sprung and it is butt wooping time! I have been on a big push to get this trailer done this spring. From buying parts from Grant and Frank to buying Sher-Cryl from Sherwin Williams I have been spending money lately like camping season is around the corner. 8) I have the trailer all skinned up and the hatch is underway. I hope to have that finished this weekend and maybe even some fiberglass and bondo done. All next week can be prepping for paint! :twisted: I got the boys over at SW to color match my truck (minus the matalic) so we will see how it goes. The tests look a little darker but very sexy indeed. All I know is my woman is very happy I am nearing completion. :D https://plus.google.com/photos/108314658409780218870/albums/5757997033060776465 here is a link to my google plus album and the pictures I have taken recently.

Happy Camping to all!!!!!
finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gunguy05 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:00 am

Looking great! Glad to hear that you are making progress. Definitely feels good to have the roof on and the hatch underway for sure :D

Will be interested to see the final color scheme. Sounds like it ill be a nice one.
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby finleycraft » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:45 am

Allright I got the hatch framed out and partially skinned. It took some doing but the bending birch works ok. the hardest part is getting the nail gun pressure low enough to not blow through the ply and not so low that it misfires. :x

I put it on thr trailer as a test fit and I have to say I am pretty happy so far.
hopefully I can get it finished skinned this week so I can get it sanded and filled :twisted:

finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Re: The Finley T1 -Update 5/8 Painting in progress

Postby finleycraft » Thu May 08, 2014 2:47 pm

Paint has begun!!!!
The roof and hatch have been cpes, filled, sanded, primed and painted. I also got the roof edge all glassed up. I have to say I pretty much hate fiberglass work at this point. The front and sides have also been primed with a few coats of primer and now the task is to sand the primer smooth so I have a nice surface to start the paint on.

Updated full size pics can be found here https://plus.google.com/photos/108314658409780218870/albums/5757997033060776465

I wish my may wasn't so full cause after this weekend I wont have any time to take the trailer out till June. I guess that gives me june and early july to make any tweaks before my cross country trip the last 2 weeks of July.
finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Re: The Finley T1 -Update 5/27/14 Trim has started

Postby finleycraft » Tue May 27, 2014 1:08 pm

Trim is underway and I am thrilled to finally be almost done. After I got the window in I put some plastic over the door opening and turned the AC on low cool and it did great cooling it down in there and stayed cool for a couple hours after turning it off. (in 80 degree weather) Tonight I will finish up the door and get it mounted and then I need to mount the tail lights and attach the Hatch locks. Then it will be ready to Camp but not completely finished inside the sleeping area.
So excited!!!!! :lol:

finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Irmo Atomics » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:05 pm

I checked out your pictures at your google link, the Finley turned out great, and it's good to see it out camping.
Bob
Irmo Atomics
Teardrop Master

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:51 am

Long, Low, and sleak. Man that is one big hatch. Good to see it finished. Hope to see it one day at a gathering or a day trip up north.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby StockCube » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:05 am

Wow, looking great Caleb. The finish on the sides looks fantastic - that must have been a lot of work.

I see you have installed the same kind of trim that I am having issues with on my build. Could I ask you if you would be kind enough to have a look at my build thread to see if you can offer any advice? (link below). Did you have to treat the trim first at all and if not then does yours show any of the stress marks that I am getting?

Cheers
StockCube
Teardrop Builder

Postby finleycraft » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:16 am

Irmo Atomics wrote:I checked out your pictures at your google link, the Finley turned out great, and it's good to see it out camping.

Thank you!!!! I am so glad I built it! we took a 2 week cross country trip in it and it held up amazingly even in some pretty good downpours. No leaks! :D
finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Postby finleycraft » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:20 am

Junkboy999 wrote:Long, Low, and sleak. Man that is one big hatch. Good to see it finished. Hope to see it one day at a gathering or a day trip up north.

It towed tremendously well being so low. I got around 18 mpg in my truck fully loaded on my trip when I normally get around 21 with no trailer or equip. We will be hitting up crawford this next month but I hope to get out to some of the bigger gatherings in the future! :thinking:
finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Build Journals