Starleen2 build- Texas camper Mod /New windows

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: starleen2 #6 build TTT - no name yet update 8-10

Postby Loader » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:40 am

Looking good Scott. The exterior access to storage will be a very nice feature.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jbyrd » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:49 am

coming along nicely, I really like the design you came up with! :thumbsup:
Til later, See ya
Jeremy

My build journal #1 "SOLD" : viewtopic.php?t=45945
my build journal #2 "SOLD": viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59216
jbyrd
Teardrop Master

Postby pete42 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:50 am

Scott you have me wondering why the one side weights more than the other
"Left tire = 220 Right tire= 170 tongue = 160 total = 550 lbs so far"
50 pounds is a lot since it looks like you weighted it empty or just plywood floor.
great looking build I like the spray undercoating I may do that to my cargo trailer

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby starleen2 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:33 pm

pete42 wrote:Scott you have me wondering why the one side weights more than the other
"Left tire = 220 Right tire= 170 tongue = 160 total = 550 lbs so far"
50 pounds is a lot since it looks like you weighted it empty or just plywood floor.
great looking build I like the spray undercoating I may do that to my cargo trailer

pete

Pete - the answer is pretty simple. It is the placement of the front jack that is making the difference. Both tire weights should be equal (or very close) if the three points of measurement were a perfect triangle. However, If you look at the trailer again you'll see that the jack is placed on one of the A frames a little farther back thus there is "more" trailer and plywood on the left side

starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby starleen2 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:09 pm

Got up early this morning (6:30am) to be greeted with 65* temps - a rather strange occurrence for August in Texas. It would have been a good day to work on the camper but alas, sometimes my days are filled by other people. Today I officiated a funeral for a friend. Not many people showed up for the graveside only service, but we said our farewells. We went to lunch and somehow managed to lose a $200.00 check - we checked the wallet, purse, and almost tore the car apart - but no use it was gone. While still sore about the loss, our almost new car (2010 Chrysler Sebring which stays in the garage and rarely driven) was involved in a minor accident. It didn't do too much damage, but scraped and scuffed the paint. This certainly added insult to injury on a day that was not working out well. :(

Later this evening I was out in the garage cutting out some radius corners when all of a sudden I heard a car race by the house. I didn't pay it any attention - people always race up and down the road - but still it did catch my attention. A few moments later I heard sirens blasting and coming down the road. I put down the tools and went to look what was causing all the commotion. That's when I saw the flames and smoke. One of our neighbors home was fully engulfed in flames. The family all made it out OK, but the home is in total ruin. Our hearts sank. :cry:

That's when Mrs Starleen turned and said '"You think we've had a bad day - Just think about the day the neighbors just had and the days to come for them!" It kind of puts it all in perspective doesn't it. Someone at this very moment is having a worse day than you. :NC
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby starleen2 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Time for the roll out – see folks – I told you it would clear the garage door header – :applause:
I took it outside to get a good sense of how it will finish and blow off the sawdust. I’ve still have a few more items on the exterior that will require some attention before moving to the interior. Ceiling and roof panels will bee the last of the major construction details – installed after the interior panels.
Rear with taillight temporarily installed
Air conditioner cut out
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Re: starleen2 #6 build TTT - roll out update 8-13

Postby bc toys » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:32 pm

doing a great job Mr Stewart can't wait to see it next month and meet you and your family see you at Joe Pool
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby 2bits » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:44 pm

Finally got a chance to hope on the board and check out your build! I like the way the front pulls in just enough, and how did you get the angles to level out the framing of the floor? You are moving right along!!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby starleen2 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:10 pm

2bits wrote:Finally got a chance to hope on the board and check out your build! I like the way the front pulls in just enough, and how did you get the angles to level out the framing of the floor? You are moving right along!!

Thanks Thomas - it took a few times before I realized how to do it. Basically I just cut a 2x3 to the proper length and wedged it between the center and edge rails - leveled them across and then traced a cut line with the same angle. Then knocked em' out and went to table saw a did some cuttin"
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby 2bits » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:28 pm

That's exactly how I woulda done it! Nice!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby starleen2 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Today was not one of those typical hot August days – A front blew through and lowered the temps to a work in the garage level. :fan:
Let the insulating begin! The walls are 1 inch thick, so I searched for 1 inch thick foam board insulation. None in our area – and I really did not feel like driving to Dallas for it (+ towing a trailer!) So the second option was ¾ inch foam and ¼ inch foam panels = 1 inch foam. I had another idea. :thinking: Spray foam in a can. Let me say for those who are contemplating the same thing – It doesn’t work well for side wall insulation. :( I spent the better part of a day scraping off all the drips and slag. :x In the end it just didn’t work out – more wasted than a benefit. Do yourself a favor and get the foamboard. :thumbsup: ;)
The panels with an X on them are finished with foil tape around the perimeter. I left plenty of wood space for the glue to adhere when the interior paneling gets glued and tacked on.
Here you can see the backside of the taillights – I still have to install the blockers across the back wall
First Interior panel installed. :D A router made short work of the window and cargo hatch cutouts. :thumbsup:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Re: Bumble Bee build- update 8-21

Postby 2bits » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:50 pm

Progress! Down to installing interior panels!

I totally feel your pain on the spray insulation stuff! It is "great stuff" for filling crevices, and i used it around the perimeter of the living room floor in my "big trailer" and man what a pain it was to trim back.... Everyone take heed of the preacher man's word lest you regret the error of your ways!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Re: Bumble Bee build- update 8-21

Postby jbyrd » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:18 am

really looking good. Just a tip I discovered with spray foam if you use a grinder with a sanding flap disc it works wonders cleaning it up and carving it into any shape. I used spray foam to filling the gaps around my tongue box and to build the front lower panel on the tongue box (fitting a piece of wood there would have been a nightmare) and then epoxy and glassed over, worked fantastic.
Til later, See ya
Jeremy

My build journal #1 "SOLD" : viewtopic.php?t=45945
my build journal #2 "SOLD": viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59216
jbyrd
Teardrop Master

Re: Bumble Bee build- update 8-24

Postby starleen2 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:09 pm

Finished Insulating the back wall
Installed more interior paneling
Even got the first ceiling panel in! You can also see the framing of the front sleeper. I also made the framing for the cabinets – but the picture will have to wait for another day!
Break time - actually nap time (the photographer woke me up only after the picture :NC )
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby crttaz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:36 am

starleen2 wrote:Time for the roll out – see folks – I told you it would clear the garage door header – :applause:

How much air did you have to let out of the tires though?

:beer:
crttaz
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals