teardrop toy hauler

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

teardrop toy hauler

Postby sumo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:00 am

Here we go. Ok my take on a teardrop toy hauler. I am sure this is going to take a while to complete but the build has begun. The foundation is an old pop up camper that has a lot of water damage. I am going to try to reuse as much stuff as I can to cut down on the cost of this project. Things that I plan on reusing on from the pop up the frame (now 6 ‘ 1”x 12 ‘), stove, refrigerator , microwave, furnace, aluminum top, door, windows ( it was a hard sided camper), sink, foam mattresses, water tank and pump. So here we go.

what I am shooting for

old pop up frame ( still have to haul off the old pop up mess)

hubs changed form 4 to 5 lug and frame lengthened to 12 ft. and axel flipped.

It was getting late so i just threw these up to see what it was going to look like.
sumo
Teardrop Master

Re: teardrop toy hauler

Postby bc toys » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:56 am

great ideal you got there hale your toys on front and still sleep inside i wish you lots of luck with your build
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Hillmann » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:29 am

What do you plan to tow it with? The reason I ask is because when you have a four wheeler loaded on the front half the weight will of the four wheeler will become tongue weight. Which for anything other than a large truck cold be a problem. Also when you tow it without a four wheeler on it you may be too tail heavy, of course that can be kind of fixed by the way you pack you equipment in the camper. But in my experience the best way to make sure a trailer behaves itself is to keep the weight as close to the axle as possible.
Hillmann
Teardrop Master

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:50 am

I love your design. One of the commercial manufacturers, Forest River, builds a camper with this same configuration. It's called the Rockwood Roo. I saw one of those recently and thought it was a great idea. Of course the Forest River camper is too large for my needs. But this same idea with a teardrop seems just perfect.

I wish you luck with your build. Post lots of pictures. I will be following this one.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Techguy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:32 am

Little Guy makes a couple teardrops with a platform out front.

Techguy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sumo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:33 am

Hillmann wrote:What do you plan to tow it with? The reason I ask is because when you have a four wheeler loaded on the front half the weight will of the four wheeler will become tongue weight. Which for anything other than a large truck cold be a problem. Also when you tow it without a four wheeler on it you may be too tail heavy, of course that can be kind of fixed by the way you pack you equipment in the camper. But in my experience the best way to make sure a trailer behaves itself is to keep the weight as close to the axle as possible.

My current tow vehicle is a Jeep unlimited. Or a Nissan Titan.
sumo
Teardrop Master

Postby sumo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:49 am

little more porgress today.

sumo
Teardrop Master

Postby sumo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:03 am

I am thinking of reusing the pop up camper slide out beds. Here are a few ideas i have been kicking around.

sumo
Teardrop Master

Postby Forrest747 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:00 am

Sliders shouldnt be a problem. Intresting concept and doable. THe rear spar on the wall i feel would need to be raised. it would also limit your interior floor space, would need to make room for the beds to slide in. doable but take that into account. seen slide outs on teh side you might want to look into that.
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby sumo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:08 am

I think if I make them flip out instead of slide in it would work better. no need for slider to be mounted on the interiro walls.

Last edited by sumo on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
sumo
Teardrop Master

Postby Forrest747 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:12 am

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51453&hilit=+sleeper

We have talked about something ike that with a small micro sleeper. Not a bad idea. Just curious were you planning a galley or kitchen? There are several that have a pop up area on the roof so that they can stand up in it, like Boxcar and Sharons.

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby sumo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:31 am

The galley is the problem,One of the biggest reasons i chose to do a teardrop was to have the outside galley. ( speaking of the galley what is a good depth to shoot for when building the galley) Some of the other issues that i am having with the flip outs is, I would have to square off the front to get the front slide out to work, Looks wise i dont care for it . Adding the slide outs to the side is a problem because of the placement of the wheels it does not allow and 4 x 6 area , I would have to raise the sides and that will add to the cost. I will have to keep working at it and find a happy place. May just stick to the original design.
sumo
Teardrop Master

Postby Forrest747 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:41 am

My galley is about 20inches deep and it seems to be about right for me anyway. alot of the other galleys are about the same. when first looking at your design i thought ok move the trailer body to the front and have teh toys on teh rear, just of balance and tounge weight. but the issue with that is then your galley is so low, cause your standing in teh toy area. a crazy thought with the slide out on the back and place the galley on teh side. fold down the hatch and there is yor counterspace and galley all in one.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24592&start=15 something like this. just throwing out ideas.

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby sumo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:53 am

That is a good idea on the side galley. I dont know what this thing is going to end up looking like. I cant seem to leave well enough alone, Another issue with the slide out tent secton is maintaining the temp. I have the tent section i think it would be cool to use them but i dont know how practical it is going to be.
sumo
Teardrop Master

Postby sumo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:53 am

Last edited by sumo on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sumo
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals