Lonnie Mac's "Two Phun" Sparks!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Benroy stance...

Postby Lonnie Mac » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:43 pm

Thawley wrote:
TRP wrote:Oh, promise me one thing - if you do build a Benroy profile, please remember to do the lower radius corners for the lower front and rear? In my most humble opinion these lower corners really help refine the overall design of the Benroy.

Agree.

The other often overlooked Benroy design element is sidewall/frame height relationship. The Generic Benroy and many others place the bottom edge even with the frame. Hard to argue with the simplicity and space efficiency of that method. But it just doesn't look like a Benroy, IMHO. The Benroy stance is what "makes" the design, for me...

TRP – would you mind sharing the measurement on your original from bottom wall edge to top of frame (bottom of floor)?

I would agree as well. As a designer, (Boeing 787 Dreamliner) Lol, a big part of what I hope to end up with is a Benroy! Indeed, mine will be just a bit wider than the original, just enough so I can fit a full size bed (54 X 75). Moonbeam and I are only getting larger the older we get it seems! :)

One thing I did was purchase a tracing from Grant. A full size rolled tracing of the actual Benroy, and makes a GREAT 8' X 10' wall hanging too!

I emailed Grant here: [email protected]

The service I received was amazing. In about a week I had most all the info I needed to start my cad models.
Lonnie Mac!
AleNuts Radio and home of Brutus "Ten"!
President of the Brutus Ten Cult...

Build Thread (Almost): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=53596
Lonnie Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Benroy build...

Postby txcamper » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:22 pm

I'm looking forward to your build!

I was one that saw my first teardrop online and ran through a build to be camping in it 3 months later. I'm now wishing I had spent a little more time on the design and really thought about how I was going to use it a little more. Of course I've now been on 7 short trips with it and I'm back on here starting my slow plan for the next one, a little bigger, couple more features here, couple less there and a bunk bed for my munchkin.

:)

I'm subscribing and looking forward to the progress!
txcamper
Teardrop Master

Postby Lonnie Mac » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:24 pm

txcamper wrote:I'm looking forward to your build!

I was one that saw my first teardrop online and ran through a build to be camping in it 3 months later. I'm now wishing I had spent a little more time on the design and really thought about how I was going to use it a little more. Of course I've now been on 7 short trips with it and I'm back on here starting my slow plan for the next one, a little bigger, couple more features here, couple less there and a bunk bed for my munchkin.

:)

I'm subscribing and looking forward to the progress!

Thanks my friend! I have looked at your build. You are camping! I am wishing! Right now I am in the welder stage, still trying to replace my Hobart that I sold. Looking more at the new Hobart 190 now. Should have that soon and then it's on! I am also having the hardest time finding my windows. Figured I'd start purchasing some of this small stuff, but dang if I can find anything remotely close to the original Benroy windows. I figure that will be the hardest part to find while trying to keep the Benroy look, but I have looked everywhere. I can build the rest.

I still have to replace my roof on our house that was damaged way back in hurricane IKE. Yea, I live here in Galveston area. After that, all money and hands on deck!
Lonnie Mac!

Lonnie Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Lonnie Mac » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:53 pm

On another note, one of my other hobbies is building fine acoustic guitars. So I have my interior scheme all picked out. :)

Lonnie Mac!

Lonnie Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:01 pm

Hey Lonnie

Just found your thread. Looks like you have it planned out much much better than I ever will. I also am going to use the Flexride 1/2 axles as I still do not know exactly how wide it will be. Bought them last winter to make be more committed to building Trailer #2. I also got adapters to use the same wheel/tires as my TV a Suzuki Vitara. Going to keep the tires to near the same width as the TV. I like them trailing the same track when on gravel and worse roads. As I am building something about 5 foot wide this will require wheel wells.

I like your guitar building. I have been getting more and more into wood working and building guitars fascinate me. Not that I will ever be able to play one.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby TRP » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Hey LonnieMac,

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Been busy with work and what not. I was out in the garage brewing today and decided I'd better get you the info you needed. I measured from the edge of the aluminum skin to the interior sidewall of the tire and I've come up with 7/8ths inch from tire sidewall to aluminum wall.

For the gent who's looking for the measurement of how far the side wall hangs down from the bottom of the floor, it's 2" from the base of the floor to the lower side edge at the high point (around the shackles and wheel wells) and it's 5" everyplace else.

I can't wait for the holiday break so I can get back on the woodworking for the trailer.

Hope all is well,
Ted Pierson
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby TRP » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:52 pm

Lonnie Mac wrote:
txcamper wrote:I'm looking forward to your build!
I am also having the hardest time finding my windows. Figured I'd start purchasing some of this small stuff, but dang if I can find anything remotely close to the original Benroy windows. I figure that will be the hardest part to find while trying to keep the Benroy look, but I have looked everywhere. I can build the rest.

I still have to replace my roof on our house that was damaged way back in hurricane IKE. Yea, I live here in Galveston area. After that, all money and hands on deck!

Something to think about: There are several guys who specialize in selling salvaged parts. I bet you can get two original Woodlin windows from them. I was able to pick up a window lever/arm from one guy on e-bay. Worth a shot.

Best of luck,
Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby Lonnie Mac » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:02 pm

Thanks Ted! That's a big help! I'll be searching for windows like crazy.
Lonnie Mac!

Lonnie Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TRP » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:40 pm

You may want to double check this,... but I once read that Herr and Woodlin windows were nearly identical. Again, investigate that to be sure. If it's true, you may be able to widen your pool of used parts.
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:43 am

Nice Lonnie Mac

How did you get that picture without a hole in the back of the guitar. I build Stick and Appalachian
Dulcimers my self and one day want to build my own guitar.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:17 pm

A guess, he set the camera on timer, passed it through the tone hole and let it slide around into position at the bottom of the guitar?

Or the whole thing is a digital fabrication?

Just guesses. It is a very special picture though. Very nice. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Lonnie Mac » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:50 pm

Sorry friends! I didn't mean to imply that this was my pic. I just found it on the net! Very nice though, and basically the tones are what I want the inside of our tear to look like. I am pretty sure this was taken using a borescope of some sort through the end-pin hole as the guitar is still stringed up. Funny, I wish it was mine, and I have an old borescope I could probably affix to a cam somehow!

Here is one of mine...

http://www.alenuts.com/guitar/guitar_build.html
Lonnie Mac!

Lonnie Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TRP » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Hey Lonnie,

How's the build going?

Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

Postby Lonnie Mac » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:55 pm

Wow Ted! Sorry I did not see this post!

Been laid up for a bit with an operation, but I am getting back into the sorts of it all now. Still haven't got my welder, but once I knock out that chunk of money It will be down hill. Funny. I been online looking at tires, wheels and fenders all day! I was trying to figure out what your actual fender radius is on the original Benroy. I have my Flexride half axle's picked out, and I will possibly buy all that first.
Lonnie Mac!

Lonnie Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TRP » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:37 am

I'll get that radius measurement when I get back to the house. I'm currently up in Lake Tahoe with the family.

Ted
TRP
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals