Wyoming Woody Teardrop Build (Completed: 6/22/2013)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Wyoming Woody Teardrop Build (Completed: 6/22/2013)

Postby _Ryan_ » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:56 am

Here we go, there's no turning back now! On Thanksgiving I ordered my trailer from Northern Tool. I have already done some work and I will post a couple updates to get everyone up to speed.

If you are curious you can check out my initial design thread

*** Update ***

After finishing the Teardrop, many of you have asked or sent me messages requesting more detailed information on a specific part of my build or measurements of a component. I have put together a website that documents the design and build process and am making it freely available as a resource for everyone to use.

On my website TeardropBuilder.com you can find the step-by-step process I used to build my teardrop including the over 1500+ pictures I took along the way. To supplement this build journal I am releasing the architectural schematics in PDF format for the Wyoming Woody, the complete 3D SketchUp model, detailed profile measurements, and a complete parts list including cost breakdown, as well as links to my parts suppliers.
Last edited by _Ryan_ on Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:41 am, edited 17 times in total.
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Re: Wyoming Woody Teardrop Build

Postby _Ryan_ » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:15 am

The Northern Tool 5' x 8' trailer arrived on Thursday and on Saturday a couple of buddies and I went to work on assembly.

In all it took about 4 and a half hours and once assembled the trailer was exactly to spec (96" x 60"), and as nearly square as we could make it.

I have a SketchUp model of the trailer which I will post in the SketchUp model thread. It really came in handy when designing the trailer.
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby _Ryan_ » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:44 am

Thanks! That's my buddy's Aussie. Mine is the black one you can see a bit in one of the shots.
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby _Ryan_ » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:44 am

The following weekend a friend and I went to work on assembling the deck out of 1x4 poplar and 5' x 5' x 1/4" birch plywood sheets, and 3/4" hard insulation. It's a nice benefit that once the trailer is assembled I can use it to haul the parts.

We used pocket screws to attach the frame and check that everything is square before applying Titebond III.

The insulation is 3/4" and fit very well leaving only 1/8" between the top and bottom sheets. We cut the insulation to be 1/8" larger in width and length than the frame compartment which allowed us to get a nice tight fit.

Titebond III and 18 gauge brad nails to hold the glue to the frame cross members.

We then drilled holes to avoid the deck resting on the bolt heads and washers.

Pocket screws and glue for the end pieces as well.

Not a bad looking deck!
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby Thawley » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:21 am

Great start Ryan. It's gonna look terrific behind that Corvette.

_Ryan_ wrote:We cut the insulation to be 1/8" larger in width and length than the frame compartment which allowed us to get a nice tight fit.

Curious about cutting that stuff. Does anyone use a table saw or skillsaw, or is knife and straightedge the common practice? (I'm a hellofalot more comfortable and accurate on the table saw but wonder if there are issues with that method...)
Thawley
Teardrop Advisor

Postby _Ryan_ » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:25 am

Thawley wrote:Curious about cutting that stuff. Does anyone use a table saw or skillsaw, or is knife and straightedge the common practice? (I'm a hellofalot more comfortable and accurate on the table saw but wonder if there are issues with that method...)

We used an exacto knife and a straight edge to cut the large sheet to length, then used a table saw to cut the pieces to width. Table saw worked MUCH better and produced very clean and straight lines.
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby Thawley » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:48 am

Great info. Thanks.
Thawley
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 225 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:57 pm

I like the way it looks already.
Teardrop Master

Postby droid_ca » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Your doing a great start on your build....very informative pictures thank you for sharing
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:05 am

So far so good. Keep us posted.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby _Ryan_ » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:46 am

So I managed to get some more work done on the build. Before we left for Christmas vacation I wanted to get the asphalt emulsion on the bottom of the deck so it could dry for the entire week I was gone.

First off I wanted to drill the holes for the carriage bolts to attach so I could get the black goo around the edges to help with the seal. The NT frame has 8 holes the the side rails which work perfectly. I marked the openings then flipped it over and drilled the 3/8 holes.

Masked off the surfices I didn't want to get painted.

Here it goes! In reality the process was much easier than others have made it out to be. The stuff is messy, but if your careful it goes on evenly and without much hassle.

I headed my garage to 64 degrees before I started out. The can says 50 is the minimum and it worked well. It was 90% dry by the time I was done. I went back the next day and did some touchup but didn't add a second coat.

After one week of drying it was all ready for the next steps!
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby _Ryan_ » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:58 am

The next weekend I permanently attached the deck to the frame.

Stainless steel carriage bolts, fender washers, lock nuts, and nylock nuts.

I later decided that I needed torque washers. After trying the initial tightening of the first bolt I managed to get it to spin out of its square hole... :cry: For the record I did beat the bolts down with a BFH to embed the square shank into the wood but it still wouldn't hold. The torque washers are zinc so to get around any problematic metal interaction with the stainless steel I coated the underside of the heads and upper threads with tar. As an unintended benefit it will help to seal the holes.

Problem #1: one of the holes still didn;t match. I had to drill a bit of the frame to match.

Problem #2: As you can see the carriage bolts are a pain to get out once the head slips. I had to grind a notch for a screwdriver to hold the bolt so I could get it out... live and learn I guess.

Drilling the countersunk bolt holes with a guide. Unconventional bit it worked well.

Installed bolts with silicone between the frame and deck around the hole to help seal.

And were done! Next up, starting the wall construction!
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby PubUltraStar » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:55 pm

_Ryan_ wrote:Image

I've used T-Nuts in the past, but have never seen these before. Great idea to keep the bolt from spinning. I spent the past 40 minutes trying to find a supplier online that will sell the stainless steel torque washer, but didn't have a lot of luck. I've got requests out to U-Bolt-It and also Peter Forg via e-mail to see if they will fulfill small orders. I will check local hardware stores, but otherwise, I may also have to settle for zinc. Thanks for the tip.
There is always risk in being awesome!
http://www.diy-teardrop.com/
http://www.m2-photo.com
PubUltraStar
Gold Donating Member

Postby veetors » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:18 pm

PubUltraStar wrote:
_Ryan_ wrote:Image

I've used T-Nuts in the past, but have never seen these before. Great idea to keep the bolt from spinning. I spent the past 40 minutes trying to find a supplier online that will sell the stainless steel torque washer, but didn't have a lot of luck. I've got requests out to U-Bolt-It and also Peter Forg via e-mail to see if they will fulfill small orders. I will check local hardware stores, but otherwise, I may also have to settle for zinc. Thanks for the tip.

Have you tried going to a local Fastenal store? They can usually find the odd and hard to find stuff. Their website is http://www.fastenal.com. They have a lot on their website but if It's not on there they can usually find it for me if I stop in the store. It can take a few days to get it sometimes...
veetors
Teardrop Inspector

Postby _Ryan_ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:54 pm

I second fastenal, we have one where I live. When I called they didn't have any in stock but they seemed positive they could track some down. Good luck!

As far as the stainless steel and zinc interaction is is not good but much worse if there is any moisture present. The tar solution was one that I read online, another option is paint. Since I had the tar laying around from the deck I used that. Dipped the head into the goo just past the first few threads, wiped off the bolt head and I was good to go.
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Build Journals