Wyoming Woody Teardrop Build (Completed: 6/22/2013)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Wyoming Woody Teardrop Build (Completed: 6/22/2013)

Postby _Ryan_ » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:51 am

KCStudly wrote:Speaking of which... I'm trying not to sound like I'm picking nits... you really have done a great job... but have you given any thought to aluminum wheels, or maybe painting the white wagon wheels a color that compliments the other colors of your wonderful creation? Maybe black to match your other trim and fenders, or a dark metallic gray to give them more of a luxury feel, like the rest of your finishes?

I feel horrible, as if I'm being critical, but I truly think it would push your build just that little bit farther into true greatness! Wheels can have such a big impact on the theme of a project.

If only TPCE has the same wow appeal when done...when finally done. I am inspired by your outcome and how quickly you "got 'er done". :applause: :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup:

KC no offense taken, your suggestions are always welcome! It's funny you mention the wheels and fenders because they were the only things I didn't plan on customizing much in my designs. I figured that if I ever got to the point I am at now I would be happy with the result and it would be an easy change later down the road. When I started building the teardrop I was pleasantly surprised by the stock fenders on the Northern Tool trailer. Even today I think that they look pretty sharp although I may explore changes to them later. I had never thought about the wheels much until now but I can see what your are saying as the white doesn't match anything else. I did a quick search and was surprised to find that you can in fact get custom wheels for 12" trailer wheels, amazing! I think I might invest in some dark aluminum wheels but not until next year as my project overshot my original budget by quite a bit. I would also like some time to do some traveling as I might want to make changes to the axle, tire size, or even add brakes but I won't know until I have gotten some miles under my belt.

Cheers, and good luck on TPCE!

Ryan
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby _Ryan_ » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:57 am

Via wrote:Just found your build. Very nice. Where did you get your porch light?

They are the LED porch lights from Frank Bear at http://teardroptrailerparts.com. NIce guy and great service!
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby mezmo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:02 am

You've GOT to have a great feeling of accomplishment
from your producing such a stellar example of a TD !

Camping in the great outdoors - in such grand style as
it provides - will be a great source of memories for you and yours.
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby drewh1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:07 am

A really nice build and design! I am using it as inspiration for my build. It was super helpful to have the detailed build guide!

Hope you are enjoying your creation!

drew.
"If only I knew what I know now when I started . . ."

My Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=56916
drewh1
Donating Member

Postby draksig » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Absolutely beautiful, a work of art. You should be very proud of the quality work done here.

I joined here several years ago when I became interested in building a teardrop but never managed to get around to it. I now have the means to do it and I come back to find this piece of inspiration. I hope to begin my build later this year or at the start of next year but I will study this build log for all the tips and info I can gleam from it. Thanks for sharing.
draksig
Teardrop Inspector

Postby _Ryan_ » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:54 am

First off thanks to everyone for the great comments!

Recently we have been taking advantage of the summer weather and our work schedules and have been out enjoying our teardrop in the vast wilds of our state of Wyoming. We recently completed our first long haul trip up though Cody, up to the Cooke City Highway into Montana and back down into Yellowstone National Park, Teton Park, Jackson, Lander, and a couple nights in the mountains outside of Saratoga, WY. We racked up 1,200 miles and camped 6 nights and I am glad (and very much relieved) to say the little teardrop performed beautify! Even driving through a torrential downpour outside of Cody it managed to stay 100% dry.

Here are a couple of pictures from the road! Cheers!

_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby WhitneyK » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:07 pm

Don't even look like you got it dirty yet! 8)

My wife & I really enjoy Wyoming, considered moving there 5 years ago when I was unemployed.

At the rate you're going, you have the cost of the build justified in no time! Had ours "paid for" by the time we got back from our trip to Montana / Wyoming / Colorado :thumbsup:
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby drewh1 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi Ryan,

Your build journal is a big help to me. I am going to start mine. I had a question. I am planning on starting by creating templates for the side. Just because I can't commit to buying parts right now. I am going to use the NT 5X8 trailer. Do you remember if the measurements are exactly 5x8? I think I need the exact measurements to make the templeate correct.

Thanks in advance. Hope you are enjoying your build?

drew.

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby _Ryan_ » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:15 pm

WhitneyK wrote:Don't even look like you got it dirty yet! 8)

There's some dust on the fender if you look close enough!

drewh1 wrote:Your build journal is a big help to me. I am going to start mine. I had a question. I am planning on starting by creating templates for the side. Just because I can't commit to buying parts right now. I am going to use the NT 5X8 trailer. Do you remember if the measurements are exactly 5x8? I think I need the exact measurements to make the templeate correct.

The trailer once assembled was exactly 5' x 8' or 60" x 96". Good luck!

Ryan
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby drewh1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:53 pm

cool, thanks Ryan.

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby drewh1 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi Ryan,

It is so nice to have the drawings from your design link. I am pretty sure you used the 26" x 32" door from Vintage Technologies. Are you happpy with the size? I was thinking 36" but it looks a bit out of proportion. Just a bit too tall unless I put it right down to the floor.

Also, I couldn't find the measurement for how far back from the cabinets you ended up putting it?

Thanks alot!

drew.

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby _Ryan_ » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:01 pm

drewh1 wrote:Hi Ryan,

It is so nice to have the drawings from your design link. I am pretty sure you used the 26" x 32" door from Vintage Technologies. Are you happpy with the size? I was thinking 36" but it looks a bit out of proportion. Just a bit too tall unless I put it right down to the floor.

Also, I couldn't find the measurement for how far back from the cabinets you ended up putting it?

Thanks alot!

drew.

Yes sir, I used the 26" x 32" doors and am happy with the size. We have plenty of room, but that is just my opinion. You should do a mock up and see what works best for you. You also need to consider the size hole and the overall look. For me the 36" tall door would have been a bit overwhelming for the side of my teardrop.

As far as spacing goes I placed it on center smack in the middle between the front and rear cabinet faces. It lets me easily access both cabinets while leaning in through the door. Another consideration about door placement, which others have mentioned, is to have it located near your hips when laying down. This makes it easier to pivot your body 90 degrees when entering/exiting the teardrop.

Cheers,
Ryan
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby _Ryan_ » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:25 pm

_Ryan_ wrote:
drewh1 wrote:Hi Ryan,

Thanks alot!

drew.

Yes sir, I used the 26" x 32" doors and we are pretty happy with the space to move in and out. You should do a mock up and see what works best for you. You should also consider the size hole and the overall look. For me the 36" tall door would have been a bit overwhelming for the side of my teardrop.

As far as spacing goes I placed it on center smack in the middle between the front and rear cabinet faces. It lets me easily access both cabinets while leaning in through the door. Another consideration about door placement, which others have mentioned, is to have it located near your hips when laying down. This makes it easier to pivot your body 90 degrees when entering/exiting the teardrop.

Cheers,
Ryan
_Ryan_
Teardrop Master

Postby drewh1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Great information Ryan - thanks for that! Getting more excited about starting build but am obsessively planning right now!

drew.

drewh1
Donating Member

Postby Gunguy05 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:59 pm

I have just finished reading your entire thread. I know it's already been said, but WoW... nice work. I really like the way that you made a very simple build, but it is very high quality. I can't get over the depth of color and rich tone you got from the okoume and the dye. It is amazing, and definitely makes me think now about hunting some down for our build.

Any updates or changes since you took it out for a couple trips?

Outstanding job!

Brian
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals