Wild Idahos Compact Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Wild Idahos Compact Build

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:09 pm

Sorry that you have had painting woes. The paint looks good in your pictures; so, you may have it licked now.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Wild Idaho » Mon May 05, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi all, well I’ve made some great progress this past week. I was able to complete all my painting and begin final assembly.
I installed my windows and hopefully have them sealed well. :worship: The windows came with a rubber weather stripping already installed but I read some recent posts that discussed using butyl tape vs. rv putty vs. silicone. When I contacted Frank Bear (which is where I purchased the windows) they mentioned that they use silicone to fill in any gaps. As it turns out, I already had some RV silicone that I purchased for my 27 foot Jayco travel trailer so I decided to use it. Boy what a mess. That stuff sticks to everything. I was able to clean up any silicone mistakes using Goof Off so all in all it wasn’t that bad but if I had to do it over again I think I’d go a different route.
With the help of my dad, we were able to install the roof. Once the roof was on we noticed that the trailer wouldn’t exit the garage. Somehow the trailer grew! I was able to overcome this little set back by letting some air out of the tires. Once we had it out of the garage I was able to raise the roof and check everything out. I think it looks pretty good for my first build. I still have to install some weather stripping and some hardware. I’ve also built and installed the door. I think it’s in a state that I could camp in it now.
I’m finishing up my cargo box for the front and should have that installed later this week and will post more pictures then.
Jeff
Wild Idaho
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Tue May 06, 2014 6:45 am

That looks great!!! Love the interior wood. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue May 06, 2014 11:20 am

Wild Idaho wrote:I think it looks pretty good for my first build.

Jeff

Pretty good? I think it looks fantastic! :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue May 06, 2014 3:36 pm

You did really good! :thumbsup: :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby myoung » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:17 am

Excellent job of staying close to the original Compact II design.

Have you had a chance to weigh the trailer yet? Mine is 1440. Don't recall what Sharon's is, but I suppose yours will be 100-200 pounds lighter.

Perhaps one of these days, you, Sharon and I could park alongside each other. Might look like the papa, momma, and baby bears. It would be fun to compare notes and stories. Now that I've moved back to CA, I expect that we're about equidistant from Sharon. I'd like an excuse to go flyfishing back up north once again.

Can't tell from the pictures that are a bit small for my poor eyes, but I expect that the top in the lowered position impinges on the rear door opening. So, I suppose that it must be in the full up position whenever you are inside. Is that so? Or do you have enough headroom for the trailer to be a slouchy?
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:13 pm

myoung wrote:
Have you had a chance to weigh the trailer yet? Mine is 1440. Don't recall what Sharon's is, but I suppose yours will be 100-200 pounds lighter.

Perhaps one of these days, you, Sharon and I could park alongside each other. Might look like the papa, momma, and baby bears. It would be fun to compare notes and stories. Now that I've moved back to CA, I expect that we're about equidistant from Sharon. I'd like an excuse to go flyfishing back up north once again.

Mine currently weighs in at 1150 lbs; but it is the 5x8.5' "Baby Bear". :lol:
It would be a lot of fun if the three of us (and maybe more?) could get together at a camp sometime! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:30 am

That little beast looks GREAT. I'll keep my eyes peeled for it on the rough roads of Idaho. 8)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wild Idaho » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:04 am

myoung wrote:Excellent job of staying close to the original Compact II design.

Can't tell from the pictures that are a bit small for my poor eyes, but I expect that the top in the lowered position impinges on the rear door opening. So, I suppose that it must be in the full up position whenever you are inside. Is that so? Or do you have enough headroom for the trailer to be a slouchy?

Hi Mike,

I haven't had a chance to weigh it. I still need to do that just to satisfy my curiosity.

I think it'd be great to get the 3 trailers together and compare notes and stories. I'd really like to go to one of the gatherings and see all the trailers and meet members of the forum.

I think if you click on the pictures they open into a larger view so that might help viewing them. As for opening the rear door, it opens in both the up and down position. I can move around inside with the roof down but I do have to bend over. The inside height with the roof down is between 54" and 59" depending on where I am inside.

Jeff
Wild Idaho
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wild Idaho » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:31 am

Hi All,

I thought I'd update you on how my trailer handled on it's first few trips out and share some pictures.

On my first trip I was a little nervous pulling it down the road. I had visions of it just disintegrating while driving down the road. As it turns out there was no need to worry about it falling apart as you'll see.

I live in Boise, ID and drove up to the South Fork of the Salmon River near Warm Lake. There's a paved road that leads to a little town called Yellow Pine. When I say paved road, it should be understood that it's not very good and it's very narrow. I came to a section of road that was really bumpy with the pavement being buckled like a washboard so I new I should slow down. I kept an eye on my mirrors to see how the trailer would handle. Well, the trailer bounced pretty high. I'm pretty sure it left the ground. Anyway, the thing that I found cool about this part of my first trip is that as the trailer bounced, I noticed a pair of scissors flying off the roof. Apparently I left them on top of the trailer where they stayed while driving 2 hours on winding mountain roads. I stopped and picked up the scissors and sure enough, they were mine.

Here I am getting ready for my first Trip.

My first camp site with the roof both down and up.

On my second trip I learned a little more about how the trailer handles the rough roads. On this trip, I went down a little dirt side road that was washed out on the drivers side of the road. I tried to straddle the washout but with my truck tires being wider than my trailer tires, something had to give. The little trailer dropped down into the washout which was about a foot deep in sections. I was able to pull it up the road and checked to see what type of damage I did. I couldn't find any damage at all and it still tows great.

After my first and second trip, I no longer worry about towing it anywhere.

Here are a couple pictures of my second trip.

Every time I've taken the trailer out I've been rained on and one time hit with hail. So far no leaks at all. It's great to be laying inside and listening to the rain.

Next week I'm heading out on another trip.

Jeff
Wild Idaho
Teardrop Builder

Postby coyote » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:56 am

Congratulations! Looks great, sounds like it's gathering no dust! :thumbsup: Coyote
coyote
Titanium Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:58 pm

Happy trails! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly