Cross Bow / trolley / renamed little blue trolley

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Cross Bow

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:47 am

As to a trailer frame the only trailer in my mediate reach is a HF trailer. In part because of cost to own. My last trailer as I have said before was free. And I have a friend looking for me. But a used trailer means ware and tare, I don't really like the idea of a bolt together either, can those be welded? I am about to take my present trailer in to have it's suspension fixed.

I do have several friends who weld and could go that route. This is an area I have not gone before and am willing to learn, but wonder how it will effect the pocket book? :roll:

The outside of the trailer is figured and some of the inside, but the frame, although I have a trailer now, stumps me because the last one was already made.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby RandyG » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:46 pm

The HF trailer is only 4ft wide, that's what I didn't like about it. But if you build over your wheels it doesn't matter. A steel frame is not hard to build and it can be built to what you need and you won't have to work around problems. I vote to build your own. My $.02.
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:21 am

monday I take my trailer in to see how much it will cost.

I am beginning to check out costs of wood and such

I will drop by a metal place and see how much metal costs, if I decide I will get small amounts at a time cut them and prepare for welding.
I have a neighbor who has a welding business
Then there is the cost of axel with spindle, springs, shocks, bearings, and cost of brakes or no brakes, wheels w'tires, new wiring, Hitch, Safety bolts for hitch, and what ever I left out.
and if I have no preplans of what goes where how would I know where to put the axel. I have not kept up on this part of trailer making and remember that andrew offers a site of how to find out along with figure out tung weight.
no boot, galley, battery or batteries behind wheel well, but when we travel because I do not pull with a Truck or SUV much of the bring alongs will go inside where we sleep and removed and put in the car when we sleep.
makes me want to look more for something premade but costs may change that. it looks like I can get a premade new 4x8 for around 500 + and will have to alter it some what. A used trailer would cost less but then I will not know what ware and tare it has had.

Does it sound a little like I have never built one before .... but I have and aside from the frame I think I could build the body in a couple of weeks with the tools and know how I have now. But as mike say's I am long winded.... :oops:

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby RandyG » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:07 pm

I just ordered my axle for $260 from northerntool without hubs, so you do have a point debating the cost of a pre-made trailer.
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Here's a trailer kit, just add steel and wheels.

http://abctrailerparts.com/2ktrailerkit.html

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:57 am

Well It has been desided.

I put this under General as well. under I have 2 and 1/2 months to build.

I am starting build I took the trailer to a welder and he gave me a price and just to fix the bent wheel is 300 and the suspension more. So I said to him it is time for me to do a new build.

I am starting with a Harbor Freight trailer only because it is close buy. I can later move the camper to a better frame.

I also could move the Box Kite to a new frame it was made at first to be removed and was held in with 2 bolts. now it has 2 more and some wood screws in several places.

I do not think I will have time for the fancy windows at the top I have changed the stile a little and but I could go back to the boxie look if I get down to no time left.

The curved front is a must.
The Galley a trial like most we will start with shelves cabinets will take some time to make.
Once I get the design down better I will photograph it and it looks a lot smother and more like a fast back car.

My Dream trailers are the Tvan http://tracktrailer.com.au/tvan/tvan_gallery/ ,the australian trailer kitchen ideas, the new styles coming out for the american out back camping like the moby1 http://moby1trailers.com/ offering new ideas in camping. the wild goose the direction I first headed but realized I did not have the skills to do it. http://www.myteardropbuild.com/, and looking at boat buildings and image sites of galleys and decks helped me to under stand how to handle the weather.
Now I am setting of a sail again and knowing me I will start for one direction and end up in a totally different one. So many designs I are tugging at my mind.

I am moving things getting ready to start the build. the floor and front bow will be my first challenges as I start looking for what wheels I will put it on.

I guess I should figure it out in days.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:17 am

now let me see I have to get it registered so I have to end a wk before the gathering. I guess if i include today as day one working on drawings, figuring out wiring, where lights go and a list of what parts I will need.

so to day is the 22 of Feb.
I will not have wood until Sun or monday but should have figured out what I already have.
7 days, plus 31 says for march, plus up to around the 22 of april should leave me time to register and start packing.
that is 60 days.

Now I told my neighbor I felt i could build a trailer in a week end not taking into account my age and my experience and the sure panic I am feeling now. :shock:

but once I see what i can do in a wk and reporting here what I have done or what i goofed on.
I still remember being in the process of gluing down a piece of wood and emailing Wolfman asking how long I should wait before drilling something else in and he wrote back NOW. :lol:

So I will shut up now and start drawing and listing and go into stelth mode.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Dreams are always bigger then life.

the trailer at the bottom right is probably going to be the outcome out side.
The top windows were a dream and my skills may not take me there at this time. As reality sets in!!

The trailer body will be a closer to a 6 by 10

do to the rounded front add on and the 1' on each side added storage.

I will not have a fantastic fan on the roof but will try and put in a vent of about the same size so later I can when money allows put a real fan in. I could buy a Vent but making one would be cheeper.

I started a list
Trailer Frame
hobs
Glue titebond II and Garilla glue
Plywood
1 ....floor 1/2- 3/4 thick
2 ... outside walls 1/2 inch
1 .... Roof 1/2 inch
2... inside walls
1.. inside ceiling
Door locks and hatch lock
3 ... 4x8 insolation sheets
In my old trailer I had 4 Killed dryed upright 2x4x4 in all four corners and one cross bar that runs between the top of the two back 2x4's
This time I will cut them in half length wise and put a thicker upright pc of wood where the latches on the doors can be better locked.
Hinges
Doors and Hatch
in the nose I plan to use 3 or 4 wood upright and maybe PVC 1/2 diameter pipes to reinforce the front bow.
At work they offer 1x2 cheep and I use them through out the build.
I may move many of the light over from other trailer.
1 or 2 batteries
Paint and stain

that is all for now..... :thinking: what did I leave out. ah bolts, chains,...... :frightened:
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:05 pm

I have talked with a neighbor who will drive me down to Harbor Freight to buy the trailer frame. I have a friend who has one in a box that wanted to sell me his but I only see him once in a while at work when he drops by.
there are several HF trailers in town used for utility trailers that I can look at until I buy mine so I can get a better idea of what I am going to do. As well as pulling it up on line to see what is what.

I have started pricing things like 1/2" insolation Styrofoam with plastic aluminum on one side 4x8 $6.95 each, Kill dried 2x4 $2.93, 5/8 x 7 1/2' x 6 ' cedar fencing to use for the outside shelves as seen on the boxkite only deeper.

the difference in the shelves oh the Box Kite and the Cross Bow is the area below will become storage and the shelves will be hinged for excess. I am thinking of running small studs from the bottom of the trailer out the sides and attaching them two 90deg angles attached to the sides and the studs. I would use thin plywood for the sides below the shelves. behind the wheel I would put the battery, also in the storage fire wood, tarps, a jack, things that I kept in the bonnet in front of the Box Kite.

Galley and inside are still a blurrrrrrrrrrrr.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:20 pm

I figure I better put in a picture of the Box Kite, in time it will not be seen on my pages and will be replaced by the Cross Bow.

This is my first trailer

The out side shelves on the Cross Bow will be higher but not higher then the mirrors on the car. In time I hope to be pulling with a CRV or other small SUV. But until then I need to see traffic and would rather not have extended mirrors. I guess I could now get a backup camera :lol:

I have taken lots and lots of photo's of galleys and other trailers and now is the time to start seeing what I shot.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:56 pm

Harbor freight trailers are on sale this month and I will pay $5 more next month also on sale march 2013. Some one said some magazines offer 20% off coupons too.

My neighbor said it will be fun to see it go up a little like watch a time-laps movie.

I looked through many of my photo's of teardrops that I have seen. Get to get the wife in on this so she can tell me what she would like to see.

I kind of wonder if I am timing this right the US budget will be passed soon and we may be back into a recession again. but then that is how the teardrop came to be. :R
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:24 pm

it is interesting when you do something and some one in the next post over is doing something that answers a question you had. I do not think I will follow them but what they did on their HF trailer is interesting.
Over the wheel RT Build Thanks Len for your ideas. I dragged this over from they're site. Len has a rear entrance and it is nice to see what was done.
len19070 wrote:Started a new trailer this week.

Its going to be a Rear Entrance, an over the wheel build with a dropped floor at the rear and a Roll out kitchen in the rear as well.

66" wide 8'6" long and the box will be 4 1/2 to 5 foot tall.

ImageImage

Happy Trails

Len

I do not know if the Cross Bow will start like this but it looks promising

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:13 pm

Friday morning a neighbor drove me in his truck to Harbor Freight to buy my HF Super duty trailer had to go down to the next county to get it.

came home opened the boxes and got to work. I did not work on it straight through to many bolts and they were driving me nuts :lol:

today I got the Axel on and have to pack the bearings it says to in the manual and I would have done it anyway. I took many pictures which I will try and own load later.

a week ago I said 60 days well I should have the frame done, I will next put on the first floor, bolt it to the trailer then insulate the floor and start working on the curved front.

When building a trailer one should always consult your partner other wise you will get that constant reminder of why didn't you do this!

so I asked the wife before I started the build, we camp out many places and she usually just cooks and sleeps and does not get a chance to look at other trailers and their galleys so now I get to pull out all those pictures I shot and say what about t :thumbsup: his or that?
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:27 pm

I plan to run conduit in the walls, speaker wire because I am going to put in an old car Radio, and Ac box on the out side so I can bring the outside modern world into the Galley when available.

I will make the nose cone separate and attach it as I get the walls up.

The rear slope will not be as graceful but be farther back and at a greater slope Not as pretty but more utilitarian,

I am planning to have a sink in the back but have some unusual ways to get the water in. And am working on new ways to heat water. coiled copper over a charcoal burner, or using a rocket stove, solar only in owen valley.

my wife is not very tall and so I have to fit the galley to her. I am taller but will not be there all the time to reach things. and that is why the slope in the rear will be steeper so thing in the galley are closer to the rear.

I will go to walmart and get LED break lights system... HF comes with standard old type.Image
I run wires up each side.

on the boxkite I have a set of higher lights so the trucks can see me stop or turn.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:08 pm

had 3 days off family things got in the way but I did degrease one set of bearings. in so doing I damaged the bearing gasket ring in the back, so far know one has it. I will have to go into a larger town and see if they have it. I tried one small trailer placer auto Zone, tomorrow I will try napa, and a couple of trailer places down south.
I have one bearing greased and was about to do the 2nd but decided to wait until I have the seal. Metric 30-52-10 I hear it is hard to get metric ones. I did not find it on HF web site.

I found this on another forum

The HF trailers use metric parts for the axles, bearings, and seals. These are not typically available at the walmarts, Tractor Supplies, Napas, etc...

Here is the part number that I have for the HF seal.

Metric 30-52-10

When I was towing a HF trailer, I was able to find that size from one of the online seal retailers, but not at a local shop in my area. They were cheap, just a little tougher to find than the "standard" non-metric seals.

I also heard you can order them directly from HF.

any one on this forum have any input?
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals