Cross Bow / trolley / renamed little blue trolley

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Cross Bow slowing down build 3/31/13

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Ron Dickey wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:
Very nicely demonstrated photos, Ron. :thumbsup: Will you be done enough to use it at the Dam Gathering?

PS. Have you ever camped at Zaka Lake? Can a person still camp there?

This is a question I have been asking myself.

My wife well I forgot to tell her that is what I was aiming for .... she feels I should take my time and do it right. And when it came to the Galley,it is more for her to design.
She was expecting us to go in the Box Kite.
So I may have to wait for the IRG 5.o to show it off.
We are working hard on designing the Galley, and I have wanted a curved galley and was going to do a Weekender quick cut galley .... money will be ezyer too for buying the right things needed.

by the time I am ready for Dam Run I will have the font done. and the studs up and allow me to better plan the insides.

Good thing I took pictures of the load for the Box Kite so I will know how I loaded it last time.

Besides I need to work on the Dam gathering buttons and to a few improvements to the Box Kite.
I was thinking of moving the doors from the box kite over to the Cross Bow, however, I will have time to make a even better door.
I am thinking of making my own windows and air vent like Roly did.

And I will have time to learn cabinetry and make sure she has a place she likes to cook in.

That took a lot of pressure off my shoulders. but I am still designing it in my sleep, paper, and seeing what others have done.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out. :applause:

Ron

Please tell your wife that she is a wise woman. :yes: :lady:

Oh! Save one of those buttons for me!!!! :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Cross Bow

Postby doug hodder » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Ron...on those belt sanders, push the front idler against the bench. You have to push hard, it will retract and lock...remove the old belt and put the new belt on, then use a screwdriver between the large metal center piece in the sander body and the metal tab to push it forward and release it from the detent so it will return to the operating position. I've had a couple of them...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:14 am

starting to paint the underside of the trailer. I plan to seal all the open places with Silicon before painting. Lucia is painting the front bow while I am at work.
Once done with that part I can attach the studs and start looking more upward. I have yet to cut the template but it looks like it will be more of a Weekender type cut then the old curved look.

I have picked out the colors so they will match the light blue color of our house as it sits outside awaiting our next venture.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:02 am

I am about to attach the front bow floor to the trailer.

I found the bow was to low for the main floor and came up with a support system to hold it up and in place.
using self tapping metal screws and brass bolts that hold back of support to front of trailer frame.
bottom of bow shown above with deck paint painted on all but where it is to be glued.
finished look will look like this.

Then I will be ready to attach the vertical studs.

Ron 8)
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:37 am

Its awesome your going to head your wifes advice and slow down to do it right, you have a backup so there is no preasure. # 1 is the gotta get it done trailer, #2 is the , I'm not going to make that mistake again trailer, then come 3, 4 5 and Perfection. Take your time on this one. What you have accomplished so far is looking great
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed May 08, 2013 12:38 pm

fresh back from the shasta Dam Gathering.

Thoughts for my new build

Mud Drawers that slide out from under the trailer below the door for muddy shoes and keeps them out of the weather and not in the trailer.

I shelf that rest half inside the the trailer and half out. because I will have a shelf that runs like my present trailer above the wheel well I van rest it on that and the inside shelf as well.

deep drawers seem to be in too. divided into to parts front offers most used back storage of things needed later. goes back to the axel area.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed May 08, 2013 1:02 pm

Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun May 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Finally found a site of a teardrop with a curved front.

http://Beehiveteardrops.com/gallery/index.php

He makes them a little heavy and has made several he said.

I have not contacted him yet but looks like some good ideas here.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun May 19, 2013 11:44 pm

here are some photo's from they're site

this one offers a front door.

the cedar one had side doors.
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Cross Bow working on design

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon May 27, 2013 1:34 pm

I have spent more time on drawings at this time.
I am painting the bottom of the trailer and sealing any cracks under it so splashing water and such will not get in and it will be more resistant to the elements.

the over all design of the trailer is more rounded then those seen earlier.

I am beginning to turn my main attention to the galley.

I plan to have on of my coolers back there not the one used daily but the long term one that will be a 5 day gotten into once a day or less.

I found this on a whitewater and kayaking forum about loading a cooler.

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/ ... 18520.html offering some very good ideas.

I am thinking of insulating the walls that the cooler sits in with foam core with aluminum sides.

I also have to think about where the wires will go. Sound, TV , DC, AC, and water lines as well. I must say fallowing someone else's build saves time. But I am one of those independent types.

I have cut all the studs for the front of the trailer and will start putting them on when I finish painting the bottom then I will enter in some more pictures. and change the picture at the bottom of my what ever you call it when you enter in your answer to a persons site and it shows pictures of my trailer and all who I am.

I am working at it day and night planning, measuring, drawing and redrawing, looking at stores to see what I can use, Looking at pix's of other trailers to see where I want to go.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby RandyG » Mon May 27, 2013 7:21 pm

I cant wait too see how the front turns out, so I can get an idea of how to do mine. How are you making the walls? studs or just plywood? thats the part im worried about cause if just plywood walls, how to blend them with the studded front?
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue May 28, 2013 1:52 am

RandyG wrote:I cant wait too see how the front turns out, so I can get an idea of how to do mine. How are you making the walls? studs or just plywood? thats the part I'm worried about cause if just plywood walls, how to blend them with the studded front?

studs are a yes 1x2 with the narrow edge out so I have more support if I did it the other way it would just be like plywood. I will be putting Styrofoam between them. I am using ¼” lauan on the front some use 6mm marine plywood but I do not know where to find that. I am using it both inside and outside.
In acturality it is a little like taking a regular teardrop front and putting it on it's side.

the part that has me worried is the top I am planning to do a piece with cut outs for the studs. glueing 1x2's on it in a simaler arch putting isolation in that and then sandwishing it with a piece of 1/2 ply on top.

the roof is up in the air at this time I may do a top like Doug has with the Rocketear or Travel Voyager (I think he calls it :oops: ) I have always loved the trolly top.

Randy it is time for you to add some drawings of the direction you are planing to take your build so others can help direct you if you have questions. I took a look at your album looks good so far.
Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby RandyG » Tue May 28, 2013 1:40 pm

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iYzT3p008KE
check it out to get an idea of how camp inn makes the raindrop. I paused it quite a few times to look at certain points.
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:48 am

Ron

I recognise each camper those detail pictures came from you posted above. Even the white cabinets and small window from that nice blue and white stand up camper on the north west loop.

For the bow front, what about 2x2 uprights, notches in there for Horizontal stringers.

Don’t forget about finleycraft build thread. His has a bow front
The Finley T1

Oh, Thanks for posting the Beehive Teardrop link above. The wooden teardrop is in the hall of fame but when you click on it you go to Mikes personal photo album. It is nice to see more pictures of it.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed May 29, 2013 9:19 pm

Junkboy999 wrote:Ron

I recognise each camper those detail pictures came from you posted above. Even the white cabinets and small window from that nice blue and white stand up camper on the north west loop.

For the bow front, what about 2x2 uprights, notches in there for Horizontal stringers.

Don’t forget about finleycraft build thread. His has a bow front
The Finley T1

Oh, Thanks for posting the Beehive Teardrop link above. The wooden teardrop is in the hall of fame but when you click on it you go to Mikes personal photo album. It is nice to see more pictures of it.

I like the concept but I worry about the extra weight inless I put cloth up front. There was a trailer at the Dam Run and they put cloth and glue for water protection it was a 4x4 and they lived where it rained alot I think.

Thanks for the visual and the idea.

Ron
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals