Motorcycle tent trailer (Kustom Klamshell)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Motorcycle tent trailer (Kustom Klamshell)

Postby harleykamper » Thu May 09, 2013 12:06 am

Well now.... Those are some really good questions! One problem is I've never pulled any trailer with my bike!! I've been riding for a long time, camped on our bike, but never towed . So I'm a little apprehensive about it! I'm having to rely on what many others have reported on a few different motorcycle sites. I would love to have been able to reduce the weight more. Maybe the next one will have to aluminum frame, etc. Many motorcycle trailers out here are in the 350 to 400 lb range. I'm already over that. I would like the loaded weight at or under 550 lb for sure. I weigh 145 lb, wife at about the same. The Ultra Classic has ABS brakes. I'm planning on keeping the speed closer to the 55 - 60 MPH range. It seams that a lot of bikes pull trailer this heavy without problems. Of course, some of those are 1800cc Goldwings!! They could probably tow a f'ing house! :lol: So really I have no good idea. I plan to take 2-3 trips of increasing length around calif. to assess the towing ability, before we leave on the long trip. Then go from there. I'm hoping the low profile/ low wind resistance may help. And I have no doubts that a really cool paint job will help! :lol: I guess if all else fails, I can tow it with my Subaru. So I'll be posting the results of my towing experiences when the beast is finished. Hummm, maybe that'll be a great excuse to soup up the Harley! :twisted: :twisted: :thinking: :thinking: Anyway, thanks for the comments Nick. I'll watch for your build.
Paul & Marilyn Moon
2008 anniversary edition Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Ultra Classic
Kustom KlamShell tent Trailer. (In build now)
The ClamShell Tent Trailer Build Journal viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54531
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby nhstt » Thu May 09, 2013 6:58 am

Hi Paul,
Thanks for all the info. :thumbsup: My trailer has a floor of 46 3/4" ,with 1/2" sides so outside dimension will be 47and 3/4"ish. So we'll have a little bit of an overhang to sand off on our 48" top. That gives me about 1/2 of the fender showing and we'll notch around it with the sides covering the frame extension and the harbor frame as well. I've got a floor length of 84". 1ft over the rear and 2ft over the frame in the front. :)
About frame extensions. :? We know we need one,but do you bolt it on or weld. :shock: Have no equipment for that. :oops:

On tents. :thinking:
This might help you. Joanne's fabrics sells waterproof rip stop nylon and that plastic they covered sofa's in the old days(Windows). And nice long zippers for parka's, also foam for cushions. Go once to look around, get your 50% coupon(2) then you and the wife come back and buy what you need! :lol: :thumbsup:

Karen at theLadybug-out build journal viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55602
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 09, 2013 3:03 pm

harleykamper wrote:I've been riding for a long time, camped on our bike, but never towed. So I'm a little apprehensive about it!

I've been riding many years and have never towed with a bike either. What I would suggest is the same thing that is suggested/mandated for new riders; do your first several test runs riding solo so that you can get used to it and know what to expect. The extra margin of performance (handling, braking, and acceleration) will be useful while you are getting accustomed to towing. Then, like you said, start taking short trips and test rides with the wife.

I know this is a small distinction, and is probably what you planned anyway, but I think it bears saying outright.

Camper is looking great!
Last edited by KCStudly on Thu May 09, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby harleykamper » Thu May 09, 2013 9:36 pm

That's for sure, no wifey on the back. I planning on first riding around the side streets with my buddy riding behind. Looking for sway, etc. Then get faster after each check out during that first day. Also another rider who tows said go to a large empty parking lot and practice hard braking. Then an easy ride up the freeway to Truckee. Again with my buddy behind me. Work my way up to regular towing two up. I have towed travel trailers and a 5 wheel also. And I frequently tow my utility trailer. Of course all that with the Van. So I'm not without some skills!! :NC :NC :frightened: :frightened: I think it'll be fine. Slow and easy. Heck, it's not like I'm in any hurry.
I'm looking forward to finishing the aluminum sheet, so I can paint it! I can't wait to see it matching the bike!
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 09, 2013 11:43 pm

:thumbsup: :applause: :D
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ST1100 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:35 am

Hi Paul,

I am really curious how you like driving with your klamshell !
I think leightweight building is important, but the trailer has to be solid too.

I enjoyed my ride now without trailer, but I'm looking forward to tow my homebuilt as well.
The advantage of riding fast (legal without trailer 130 kmh on most EU-highways) will be away, but I save the hour to set up and repack my tent and all inside !
So we will ride only with 80 or 100 kmh but we can ride two hours longer every day.

And beeing honest, I drive most time slowly even without trailer.

Tom
Last edited by ST1100 on Wed May 15, 2013 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
50 years camper and 35 years biker !
1977 Eriba Troll
2001 Honda GL1800 with trailer hitch, Ford Focus Pininfarina Convertible with hitch
ST1100
Teardrop Master

Postby harleykamper » Wed May 15, 2013 12:19 am

Welcome home Tom! Hope you had a good time! Just sitting down with some scotch on the rocks, and checking forums, e-mail, ebay etc... I also am curious to see how it is to tow the Kustom Klamshell. Let's face it. It's heavy compared to the aluminum commercial trailers out there. I think I'll be OK with pulling the weight, I just want to be able to stop the damn thing! Here, in the USA most states regulate the towing speeds to 55 -65 MPH. (88-104 KPH). Frankly, that's more than fast enough while towing with a bike. Besides......it's sight seeing trip! At any rate it's coming along fine. I didn't work on it this week, Golfed with a friend instead, and this coming weekend we're visiting friends at their house on the lake. So a short break from building. Then after this week I go back to my usual schedule at work, meaning I have every Thursday, Saturday & Sunday off. So I'll gain an extra build day every week. (aside from time off to golf) :thumbsup:
Maybe I'll have to build the same Klamshell using aluminum! I'll bet that would be light! Guess I'll see how it goes with this version. I can't weld aluminum, but I can aluminum solder it! That might be strong enough. The aluminum solder is quite strong. I didn't know about it before building it with wood. But no matter, I'm still more comfortable building with wood. I can easily sell this trailer for more than I built it for and then build a new out of aluminum. :twisted:
Anyway, I've decided to paint the Kustom Klamshell with urethane paint. It's easier and faster than enamel. I should be able to complete a two tone with pinstripe paint job in one weekend. ( Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men). Well I'm looking forward to your continued progress on the Airstream! Get busy, stop lollygagging, roll up those sleeves, GET TO WORK SLACKER!! ;) :R :beer: :beer: :beer:
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby ST1100 » Wed May 15, 2013 2:21 am

You're right, i focussed on my croatia travel - that needs money, so I bought not so much aluminum and stainless steel for the trailer.
But it was worth every cent - a fine country with a beautiful coast with over 1400 islands. I enjoyed it very much.
I had rain too, but also days I drove only with jeans and T-shirt, because the thin jacket was too warm.

From 21st to 31st of may I got holidays again and beneath renewing the ceiling of my bathroom and gardening at home and at my new parcel on the bank of the river Danube I will find time to spend the trailer his skirt and lights. I need a new riveting tool, maybe pneumatic (100 Euro) and some new cobalt drills !

Have fun with scotch and golf and painting your masterpiece !

Soldering Aluminum ? Never heard about that ! How will work that ?

Tom
50 years camper and 35 years biker !
1977 Eriba Troll
2001 Honda GL1800 with trailer hitch, Ford Focus Pininfarina Convertible with hitch
ST1100
Teardrop Master

Postby Oldragbaggers » Wed May 15, 2013 7:45 am

I just found this build today so I am a little late to the party. I really like it, everything about it. Even though intended and ideally suited for a motorcycle, this would also be awesome behind a very compact car. I can see mounting some bike racks to the top of it and have a very handy and lightweight bike touring "sagwagon". I love the dual purpose box lids/table tops. Using the box store luan and wetting it to get it to bend, both great both costwise and for ease of construction.

You are doing a great job!! I am excited to see this one finished.

:applause: :applause: :applause:
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed May 15, 2013 2:20 pm

My neighbor came over the other day to ask if I had a MAP gas torch because he could not get his aluminum folding utility trailer ramp (thin 3/4 SQ aluminum tubing and extruded channel) hot enough to solder using that "miracle-you-too-can-connect-aluminum" stuff.

I took the whole lot from him, up to the shop, and had Karl fix it with proper welding.

If you don't have the resources or ability to weld aluminum and you want to build a tube structure, I would highly recommend that you consider bolting (or riveting) it together with steel corner straps and/or short lengths of aluminum angle stock. That's what my buddy Jeff did for his home built full size slide-in and it came out very well.

I just don't think you would get good, nor long lasting results using the aluminum solder. There may be a place for it, but I think it is mostly just snake oil. $0.02
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby harleykamper » Thu May 16, 2013 12:09 pm

Thanks for the kudos, Karen. it's coming along nicely. I finnish the aluminum soon then paint. I'm excited to see it painted. I think it will be great behind our little subaru sedan also. We'd take along a shade tent for storage, eating, whatever, but sleep in the Kustom Klamshell. Towing with the bike we'll just have to limit the "stuff" to neccessities. Ultra light weight chairs, stoves, kitchen supplies, etc. I may have to explore trailer brakes if it really pushes the bike. :o
As to the aluminum "solder"......I'd really have reservations about building a trailer using that method. I'd wwant to test it for strenght etc. It's tricky to solder with. I use a propane torch. You need approx 750 degrees to solder. The aluminum oxidizes when you heat it up that much, so you need to "scrach" the surface as you apply the solder to get the aluminum solder under the oxidation. I holds well for many applications. However there's really very little penitration into the aluminum tubes. So building a trailer would require a combination of techniques, welding, solder, rivets, screws, duct tape, and bailing wire! :lol:
I can't imagine using solder on anything like the axle spring supports, axle. However, some framing that is going to have aluminum skin riveted to it might be ok soldered. And extensive use of epoxy and rivets. I'll ahve to do some tests :twisted: :twisted: Mahahaha.......
Anyway, I'm off to the lake this weekend, so nothing is going to happen one way another! :beer: :beer: :beer:
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby nomad » Fri May 31, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi Paul!
Anything new? Your weekend should be over now. :D
nomad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby harleykamper » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi Nomad. Now that you mention it, I do! I took a week weeks off for family stuff on the weekends. But I was finally able to get back to it today. I finished lying on the aluminium sheets. And started filling the joint in between the two top sheets. The trailer is wider than the usual 48" sheets, so I laid them from right to left, instead of length wise. It'll take lots of elbow grease to make it look smooth. But it'll get there. The paint is on it's way here via UPS, should be here tomorrow or the next day.
After paint is the trim and lots of little details. Hope to be camping soon. :thumbsup:

Here's the first layer of fiberglass impregnated filler. More to follow filler, and sanding.... :frightened: :frightened: :NC

now....to dinner! :beer: :beer: :beer:
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby nomad » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:16 pm

It looks really good to me. Regardless the weight, you have a nice trailer to pull, either with your bike or your vehicle. :applause:
Let me know how it's pulled, when you have chance.
have you tried to lie down inside?
Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
Nick
nomad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby harleykamper » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:48 pm

Yes we did lie down inside with the 3" memory gel mattress we bought for it. Quite comfortable and roomy! My trailer hitch should be here early this week. I'll install it and try it out soon. On the motorcycle towing forums, some guys tow trailers this heavy with Electra Glides. It seems more about the braking than the moving forward. Seems legit! I've researched improved brakes for the bike. There are several after markets makers of 4 and 6 cylinder disc brakes for my bike. The harley just has a single active cylinder in each caliper. Two brakes on the front, one in the rear. So plenty of room for improvement there!! Plus electric brakes on the trailer. I'll try a test run first, then go from there. I don't intend on driving faster than 55 MPH just the same. Again, as I've said in other posts, I'm hoping the the low profile will significantly reduce wind drag and buffeting from the side also. AH, the grand experiment!! :worship: :FNP
We plan to keep the camping equipment down to the bare minimum. Sleeping bag, pillows, 2 small folding chairs, small folding table, small stove, pots/pans/utensils, very small battery lantern, scant food, very few clothes. You get the idea. At any rate it will look great! If all else fails, I can sell it for more than it took to build. :)
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals