Motorcycle tent trailer (Kustom Klamshell)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Motorcycle tent trailer

Postby KCStudly » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:41 pm

You're making great progress on the camper and it is really starting to shape up! :thumbsup:

You'll be camping before you know it. :applause:

Those home brew stabilizers are well executed, too, but I hope you are aware that PVC can be brittle at low temperatures, and I would keep an eye on the pin holes. When PVC is point loaded like that (the small area of the pin concentrates the load on what is now a weak spot in the pipe...the hole) it can split.

I like what you have done :thumbsup: , I'm just saying that it could be something to look out for depending on your usage.

:D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby harleykamper » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:13 pm

I've used a lot of PVC at Burningman also. It can really crack and splinter to boot! And in sunlight over time it gets brittle. Though mostly to bending. I'm trying to use the smallest dia. pin I can get away with. Without an engineering degree :NC I'm just hoping that because there isn't that much weight back there it'll hold up a while. Time will tell. Looking at some of the PVC bikes at burningman and how well they've held up over the years, I'm cautiously optimistic. :lol:
It is fun to play with these ideas and alternate ways of doing things on these projects. I'd love to be able to make these cheaply from aluminum pipes. with nice welded on braces. (Come on Tom, get busy with that welder!)
That would be sweet!
I'll have a better idea how they'll work once they're installed and I can put weight back there. At any rate if they do fail on the trip at least I can stop somewhere and get something to put under there. But it would be great if something that was cool and fun to do actually worked well! Anyway thanks for the comments, ideas and encouragement! :R
Paul & Marilyn Moon
2008 anniversary edition Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Ultra Classic
Kustom KlamShell tent Trailer. (In build now)
The ClamShell Tent Trailer Build Journal viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54531
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby harleykamper » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:47 pm

ST1100 wrote:But what I do not understand, how you fix them with different ground levels.
Do you have different holes through the inner tube to stick a pin through ?
Tom

Yes. I drilled 4 small holes in the inner tube. Then put a hitch pin (R-pin) though one of holes. the pin is a small diameter so it goes in between the coils of the spring! That's something I'll have to play around with still. I drilled the holes 3/4" apart.so there's about 3" (7.62cm) of adjustment. It's hard to see the pin in the picture but it's there in the picture of the tube extended. I played with idea of two cuts on opposite sides of the inner tube and using the type of U shaped spring clip that slips into the slots. I'm not sure how to describe that. Also some kind of friction stop, or the type of spring stop that fits inside the tube and stops in a hole on the outer tube. Like the type on an adjustable handle for a tree saw or even a tent pole. I like that idea best. Idea in progress!
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby harleykamper » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:42 pm

Here are the pictures with the stabilizers installed. I put all my weight on the back of the trailer without a problem. guess we'll see when it goes a camp'n!
Both from behind.

From the side. Tom, here you cab see the pins better.

left stabilizer from behind

The stabilizer retracted. Hangs down about 5".

Here's what I was talking about earlier. Maybe some kind of push button to hold the inner tube extended. This is an adjustable ski pole.
That might work!
Tom, I'm not sure how the PVC would work on a heavier trailer. This one is pretty light. As will be yours. Still aluminum would be very cool! :twisted: :R :thinking:
That would be Brandy in the background! :beer: :wine:
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby ST1100 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:47 pm

Do you visit Burningman every year ?

Very fascinating event !

That's the symbol for me for your motto "Land of the free !"

I thought of cutting a pair of adjustable tent poles to the right length as rear support for my trailer, when I saw your ski poles.

Tom
50 years camper and 35 years biker !
1977 Eriba Troll
2001 Honda GL1800 with trailer hitch, Ford Focus Pininfarina Convertible with hitch
ST1100
Teardrop Master

Postby harleykamper » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:31 pm

I'm betting there a lot of adjustable aluminum tube type handles, poles, supports etc that use that spring button type locking mechanism. You would have to install it at the high end of the inside pole and pin the retracting spring slightly lower. That wouldn't be a problem. If you could find an existing pole or find a company to buy the parts from....

This is the kind of thing I'm thinking, just larger.

Maybe something like this from a thrift shop. Then use the guts out of it. :roll:
Oh yes, and we go to Burningman most every year. Last 6 years anyway. It's only about 150 miles from our house! In our backyard so to speak! So we can takes lots of stuff with us. We took a pool table one year. We pile everything in our van and utility trailer and off we go for the week. Damn good fun!
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:54 pm

The walkers like the ones that Bob Henry uses for his DO stands have those same types of legs that you showed on the little stool.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ST1100 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:32 pm

Burningman is one of two events I must see once in my life, the other is Oshkosh :D

Do you know the motocampers forum ?

HERE

Tom
1977 Eriba Troll
2001 Honda GL1800 with trailer hitch, Ford Focus Pininfarina Convertible with hitch
ST1100
Teardrop Master

Postby harleykamper » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:36 pm

ST1100 wrote:Burningman is one of two events I must see once in my life, the other is Oshkosh :D

Do you know the motocampers forum ?

HERE

Tom

Cool site, I just registered! Thanks. Used harleyKamper again. I tried to put your name down as the referral but it wouldn't take just Tom. And that's all of your name I know. Nor your user name there either. Yes Burningman is a once in a lifetime experience! Amazing things go on out there on the Playa. I'm sure you've seen the Pictures and videos! It's quite the sensory feast! The sights, sounds, smell of the playa dust, even the feel of the playa dust. Amazing explosions and fire everywhere. People and groups build the most amazing, huge structures out there just for that one week. Mind-blowing art projects all over the Playa. And those awesome Art Cars! You should try and attend one year. It can be quite addicting. :R
Oshkosh? Not sure about that one! There Oshkosh, Wisconsin Fox Valley Motorcycle show. That one?!? That's the only Oshkosh I know of. Is there an Oshkosh in Europe somewhere? :roll:
I'm looking forward to gaining some knowledge and insight from the motocampers. They look like a fun group. :beer:
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:55 pm

I'm going to guess and say that he means the Oskosh fly in event known for all of the experimental and home built airplanes, as well as everything else aeronautical. Think Burt Rutan.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ST1100 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:28 am

Hi Paul,

my Nick in motocampers is "st1100".
You can find many of my trip reports there.

Yes, I saw many pictures and videos of Burningman for some years now and I will come anytime.

Oshkosh Wisconsin - the EAAA Airventure - because I love flying all my life !

Tom
1977 Eriba Troll
ST1100
Teardrop Master

Postby Junkboy999 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:55 pm

Ya Oshkosh, and burning man are on my list to see as well.

Dayton Ohio Use to have a nice big air show. Been there twice. Along with Wright Patterson AFB in OH.
I did the RAF Mildenhall UK Air Feat for 7 year while stationed there. Been to Farnborough England, and
Duxford air museum ( helped paint the cockpit of a B-52 they have ). Other things I’d like to see is the
Bell X-22 up by Niagara falls, The Air Races, and want to go to Czech International Air Festival to see the
russians Seaplanes. But I can talk about planes all day, don’t want to take up the thread.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby harleykamper » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:44 pm

I see, said the blind biker. :shock: That does look like a fun air show. Quite a few of my friends own and fly. I have been the Reno Air Air Races and a few other air shows. My dad was a pilot. He was a flight instructor in the 60's at our local airport in Simi Valley, California. That was after he retired from the Air force. I was born at Travis AFB. He was a B-17 pilot in WW2. Flew out of England and did his 35 missions over Germany. He bombed the coast during D-day. Then Flew the Berlin airlift, then on to the Korean War. Then flew in Japan while stationed there, ( most have been about 1953 or so) then back to the States to fly transports out of Travis AFB where I was born in '55. Retired in '60. He did some amazing stuff. It would be great if we never had to do that kind of amazing stuff anymore! :( But still, there are the "CRAZIES" still out there. It's nice to hop on the scoot and ride, don't to worry about crazy world "leaders", just crazy "cages"!! :R
I'm trying to keep an eye out for events like Oshkosh, Sturgis, etc to see on our trip back east this fall. We'll be on the road along I80 east bound starting Oct 15 thru Sept 16. 32 days on the bike with the trailer behind us. e should have about 10 or so lay over days along the way to sight see and visit family along the way. Hopefully not sitting on the side of the road awaiting a tow truck..... :worship:
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby harleykamper » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:10 am

The top frame is done and awaiting Luan application! Yea! :D
Here it is from the corner angle. It isn't varnished in these pictures, but I did that tonight as well.

Side profile. Now it's clear how small it is overall. 75" Long, 54" wide, and 35" tall.

Front view.

Here it is opened. approx 4 feet headroom in the front. This is a tent trailer so the three open sides will be light weight nylon tent material. There will be windows on the sides and a upside down T shaped door in front.

Here's my wife Marilyn sitting at the table, testing the headroom. Looks OK for us short people! :lol:

Side view of the headroom. Plenty of room.

Next week, lay on the Luan, and glue it down. I need to get my aluminium sheet, hinge, latches, Corner trim, L trim for the edges, Install battery powered lights, Storage nets. Lots still to do!! :shock: :?
Paul & Marilyn Moon
harleykamper
Teardrop Master

Postby ST1100 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:57 am

Fine work; Paul. I see you invested more time as I to your trailer project this weekend - great progress !

:thumbsup:

Tom
1977 Eriba Troll
ST1100
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals