Tear build without a plan

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Tear build without a plan

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:13 am

That's looking great, and the finish line is near. :thumbsup: :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby AlgoDan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:39 pm

I smell a campfire and a beverage of choice coming...Looking good.... :beer:
Here now but Camping later.............Dan

Build Journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54681
102535 103199 105576
From .................Paper...........................To.......................... Pavement............................
AlgoDan
The 300 Club

Postby Junkboy999 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Yep she is looking great. :thumbsup:
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 91kuhndog » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Well,.... after a week of furlough and a lot of honey do's, I was able to make a lot of progress on the trailer. The inside is all painted and down to a few trim pieces to finish it out. The aluminum skin is just about complete on the right side. The top and front is all trimmed out (diamond plate front panel installed)... only have the left side and another door to install.But then, all the attention to detail stuff.... smelling camp fire smoke though!

This door has to come back out as it's sitting 3/16 out of level and it bugs me... oh well, thats a 15 minute fix.

This is the side profile before the top cap went on. Side lights and corner markers are all thats left on this side.

I need to come up with some lift system to hold up the door, I'm considering the springs Frank Bear offers at Vintek, I dont know if I want to use hydraulic lift cylinders or not... THOUGHTS?
Our only limitations in life are purely self-induced!

My build; viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54749
91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby RandyG » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:10 am

I'm not sure if those springs would work in your case, the leverage of the longer door may be an issue. How about some drop down legs that can swing down after you open it.
Sorry bout the furlough, I work with guys that are going through the same thing. Hopefully they get it worked out.
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby AlgoDan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:24 am

Looking good Khundog, I tried various strut weight ratings and settled for the 85lbs struts. They work great.

Build Journal
102535 103199 105576
From .................Paper...........................To.......................... Pavement............................
AlgoDan
The 300 Club

Postby 91kuhndog » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:53 pm

Thanks guys... I was considering the drop down aluminum legs, adjustable length... but I also looked at the hydraulic cylinders too. I'm leaning toward the cylinders right now... and the 85# number sounds about right considering the weight of the hatch. I have everything in the trailer and I had been worried about hitch weight but I think I'm going to be OK... without the mattress in it and with the battery box and battery, I'm at 130# plus I'm adding 55# for the spare tire and mount on the tongue tube. I think I'll hit the RV Center next week to check out a set of 85-90# cylinders.

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby RandyG » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Put that leg you had in the picture closer to the hinge, about where you think you want your struts connected, and put a bathroom scale under the leg. Should give you a good estimate.
Randy
Aircraft fabricator, novice carpenter, electrical apprentice, audio engineer dropout.
Build thread - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54126
RandyG
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:30 pm

...Lookin' Good! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby 91kuhndog » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:56 pm

Sorry for the delays here folks, it's been a month since I posted. I have made some progress on the TD. I was able to finish installing the skin and external doors. Now I have to finish the trim mouldings, door seal, the finish coat of paint to the interior and install the flooring in the cabin... almost there now!

I spent a couple afternoons working on it and have started realizing a few minor things I'd do differently... so I'll share them NOW! First off, the top cabinets in the galley have to be removed and the hinge points moved to the top as the cabinet doors hit the galley hatch. THe power panel will open about half way so that too will have to be looked at. I may have to make some new doors.

Also, I dont have a drain shelf under the air conditioner in the cabin... I'll ask that question in the general forum section. Not sure at this point how much condensate I'll get from cooling this small space.

I opted after the build NOT to install cabinets in the cabin, just a 10" shelf. I have the cabinets made but didnt like what I had. SO now I have a 8" shelf in the forward section of the cabin and I think I'll install another 12" shelf beside the air conditioner.

Other than that, I'm happy (so far) with the build. It's definately been a labor of love and if anyone else is reading this and like me, plan on building a "test" trailer first, then complete a "Nice" trailer later... scrap that! This is "IT" for me. If you've read from the beginning, this one was going to be sold and another really nice, bigger trailer built next year. This is the one I'll drag around for quite some time and when I'm done with this one, it should have about 10 NASCAR tracks under it's belt! If it survivbes Darlington Speedway and Talladega next summer, it's a keeper!

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby AlgoDan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:34 am

Looking good khundog, I had to shave off a little on the cabinet doors to swing down, and they just clear the hatch by maybe .060. I will haul mine around till the future grandchildren come along and use it as a play house...in between trips.

Build Journal
102535 103199 105576
AlgoDan
The 300 Club

Postby 91kuhndog » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:45 pm

OK, I get more done on the teardrop. I was able to finish all the exterior trim pieces and lights. I installed the trim pieces above the doors and capped off all the edge trimming. On top of that, I test and finished all the exterior lights and the 12V curcuits on the inside. 110V hooked up and tested and WaaLaa, everything works great. Now, paint to the interior and galley (finish coats of everything), I'm priming and painting the tool box and fenders this weekend, and finish out the interior flooring.... Here are a couple pix of the LED lights...

Side markers...

back lights!

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby 91kuhndog » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:05 pm

WOW... with all this weather... I cant get anything done. I have managed to get my tool box and fenders painted. The toolbox is all wired up and ready to install when the weather breaks. Less than 10% of this build left and I cant seem to get good enough weather to finish.

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby be_a_jayhawk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:29 pm

Spring can't come soon enough. ...man I love those tires.!
be_a_jayhawk
Teardrop Master

Postby 91kuhndog » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:31 pm

I got sick of waiting... although we dont have the nasty weather the mid-west is experiencing. I got finished the fender install Friday and have the tongue box all drilled, wired, and ready to install tomorrow after work. Vinyl floor goes down and finish trim goes in tomorrow too. I only have about 10 weeks to get it done before Darlington race weekend and I've paid for everything already! I'm smellin campfire smoke! Pictures coming tomorrow!

91kuhndog
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals