Tear build without a plan

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Tear build without a plan

Postby 91kuhndog » Thu May 30, 2013 5:16 pm

Well, I parked the teardrop for now and have a plan for it's completion. Compliments of our current Government's administration, my furlough takes effect on July 8th and will run through the 30th of September. I'm going to have 11 uninterupted days to work on it & get the skin on it... Hopefully, not many people are reading this and are out enjoyingh their TD's instead.... but for those who are, :beer: or :wine: , thatever your flavor!
Our only limitations in life are purely self-induced!

My build; viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54749
91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:17 am

Boo Boo and Allright allright.

11 day should be enought. As long as the money holds out.
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 91kuhndog » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks Terry, you're so right. I dont pity the furlough for me, but worry about the guys who work for me and support a family on a single income. As for the time, I should be OK with getting the bulk of the work done.... my only gripe will be with the heat we experience here in July & August where our afternoon heat index gets into the low 120's. As for the money, everything is bought & paid for and I dont buy anything on credit so we'll be fine! I have a great gameplan for July and how I'm going to get the siding & doors finished.

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby 91kuhndog » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:08 pm

Wow, 8 weeks have slipped by and the tear has been sitting under a tarp in the back yard. Well, this week, against my own better judgement and the weatherman's too, I pulled it out to try to make some progress on completing it. Great thing is, the interior and kitchen galley are done (except for the painting). I managed to get the new rear hatch built and fit into the opening. I also got my TV mount built in the cabin, I opted for the Coby 16" TV combo. The outer plywood skin is on, the metal has all been cut and this weekend, I'm going to start installing the metal and trim. The doors were all test fit last night and they fit great.

Here's the hatch, with the aluminum sides in place and the hurricane hinge layed in place to make sure my clearances were good. PERFECT fit!

THe last of the insulation in place and the final piece of skin ready to go on. Note the wires coming through the skin, those are my running lights, back hatch lights, and battery feed and ground from the converter in the galley. A battery box is being preped for paint now (Harbor Freight tools, the heavy one) I wet sanded it and it's getting painted Kobalt blue to match the fenders.

The last of the plywood is on. i didnt glue the top skin, I just used a lot of 1 1/4" staples to apply. In the event I ever need to peel the skin off to work an electrical issue (Lord, I pray that doesnt happen), I wont be fighting glue too. Skins age ready to go on... I'm keeping it a mil finished aluminum and shooting clear laquer over it to prevent discoloration and oxidation. I'll try to keep posting as the weekend goes on...

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby CarlLaFong » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:05 am

Clear lacquer sprayed over bare aluminum is a disaster looking for a place to happen. There is virtually no UV strength in the clear and it will fail in a very short time
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
"As I wandered, alone, through the endless fields of corn, I could hear the crows. They seemed to mock me, calling out my name, over and over", said Cawe
CarlLaFong
500 Club

Postby 91kuhndog » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:09 pm

UT oh... Ok Carl, what do I spray over this to give myself the most UV protection AND corrosion resistance? I live on the barrier islands and cant leave it bare, it'll corrode very quick in our salty air. Any input is appreciated.

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby CarlLaFong » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:45 pm

I would think that the clear, from the base coat/clear coat automotive paint system, would work much better. It has UV inhibitors that lacquer doesn't. I would discuss it with an auto paint dealer and see what their thoughts are
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
"As I wandered, alone, through the endless fields of corn, I could hear the crows. They seemed to mock me, calling out my name, over and over", said Cawe
CarlLaFong
500 Club

Postby 91kuhndog » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:46 am

Thanks Carl, I took a trip yesterday afternoon to a friends vintage car and motorcycle restoration shop to see what he uses. WHen I told him what I was doing, he made a funny face and said "you mean, like one of those Airstreams?" Of course... He showed me what he uses to clear coat gas laterns and CNC'd & polished Harley parts... It's called POR 15 Glisten PC clearcoat. It's expensive, it runs about $65 a quart but he asures me it's the best product on the market for clearing over naked metal. So, I ordered some last night off Amazon, along with the recommended cleaner/prep (total was about $85) I'll keep everyone updated on how it turns out. :worship:

On a lighter note, with all the rain yesterday and last night, I was forced to work inthe garage and I finished my rear hatch, metal is cut, wiring is in, and it's done except for some final touch up... pictures coing this weekend.

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby rebapuck » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:19 pm

We sure are being hammered with rain this year. Hope you get enough clear weather to finish.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby 91kuhndog » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:28 am

Your right Rebapuck, this rain is driving me nuts. Last night, I came home early to get the aluminum skin perm. attached to the roof and it rained all evening. So I took the liberties of finishing the rear hatch door. All the wiring for the speakers, interior lighting and rear lights tested good good so now I can push on with the installation of the rear door and roof skin today

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby AlgoDan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:18 am

Oh Khundog your getting it done, I haven't been on here for quite some time.The rear hatch is looking sweet. So how did your rear hatch latches go on? So will you get out before the snow flies?
Keep plugging away, it does pay off...Cheers
Here now but Camping later.............Dan

Build Journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54681
102535 103199 105576
From .................Paper...........................To.......................... Pavement............................
AlgoDan
The 300 Club

Postby 91kuhndog » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:48 pm

I used the same latches you use, I think. I picked these up from etrailer's site. I routed out the faces and sides to ensure a good fit and they turned out pretty good. I'm on the computer this afternoon because after about 2 hours of work today, the rains came. For anyone in the southeast this year, you know what that means.. we've had the wetest summer on record, something like 19" over our average rainfall.

today, I was able to get the lower trays installed to rest the side skins in. Now I can finish cutting the side silloette's cut. I have lost a ton of time with the weather... you'd think I'd learn a lesson and clean the garage out. :?

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby AlgoDan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:31 am

Ya they are the sample latches, I love the snugness when latched especially with the weather stripping on.

91kuhndog wrote:I used the same latches you use, I think. I picked these up from etrailer's site. I routed out the faces and sides to ensure a good fit and they turned out pretty good. I'm on the computer this afternoon because after about 2 hours of work today, the rains came. For anyone in the southeast this year, you know what that means.. we've had the wetest summer on record, something like 19" over our average rainfall.

today, I was able to get the lower trays installed to rest the side skins in. Now I can finish cutting the side silloette's cut. I have lost a ton of time with the weather... you'd think I'd learn a lesson and clean the garage out. :?
Here now but Camping later.............Dan

Build Journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54681
102535 103199 105576
From .................Paper...........................To.......................... Pavement............................
AlgoDan
The 300 Club

Postby 91kuhndog » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:55 pm

Sample latches? Not sure what they actually called them, all I know is they work great and I'm in the process of making some adjustable striker plates to mount in the side walls. SO far, the rains and weather are still holdign me up from completing, mixed in with having to work every other weekend, this thing might be lucky to see any camping before the Bristol race in March... either way, a step forward beats a step in the wrong direction.... :thumbsup:

91kuhndog
Donating Member

Postby 91kuhndog » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:07 am

FInally! A nice day, without 100* temps and 90% humidity. I took full advantage on Saturday of the weather and a rare day off. Working 12 days on/2 days off is not condusive to finishing any of my projects, let alone this one. I managed to get the roof panel all trimmed out and installed, coupled with all the roof vents and fans. The rear hatch was hung and fit like a glove! I still have to install all the t-moldings on the hatch and install the door seals!

Now... to get the side walls on, doors installed and interior trimmed out. I'm smellin camp fire smoke! :twisted:

91kuhndog
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals