Citylights' Tear - SOLD! - update 08-01-16

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Outer skin

Postby citylights » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:58 pm

Oh, I decided to go for a titebond II glued and painted canvas skin too. Picked up two gallons of glue and plenty of canvas today. That will be much less expensive than the aluminum skin and hopefully easier too.

Now I am back to aluminum skin. I just like the look better and think it will be a better finished product.
Last edited by citylights on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citylights
500 Club

Re: Citylights' Tear

Postby citylights » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Not that anybody cares for all the replies I am getting, but more progress to report. I guess i just post to this build log in in the hope that it might help someone else for their teardrop build. I have sure been grateful for all the build pictures and ideas an this site.

Got some interior lights installed. Reading and dome lights...

citylights
500 Club

Postby stonykill » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:42 pm

I thought the same with my build. If you look at the views people are watching but not commenting. I am following your build and enjoying every minute of it. :D
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:35 pm

I'm following, too.

I think the more info you provide, visual (pics), technical and emotional, the more people will be able to relate to your build.

You are doing great! :thumbsup: :applause:

There are many others here that have a much harder time getting their thoughts across (be it due to using a cell phone and not using punctuation, lack of spell check, or just moderate illiteracy) that I sometimes feel sorry that they are not getting a more interactive experience from the forum. You have nothing to feel sorry about. (Maybe I will catch some flack for this, but it is honest and as real as I can be. Hell, sometimes my thoughts all run together in a big dump and make no sense to me later, either. :? )

Your TD is coming out great, your cabinets look good, and you seem to have a good grasp on the electrical stuff. :thumbsup:

Don't get discouraged. This is a huge undertaking and you are smack dab in the middle of it. "When the going gets tough, keep going" - I believe that is a Winston Churchill quote, or something close to it.

Remember, you are building this for you and your needs. Don't worry about what other people do or think. Make it so that you are happy.

In the end, you are the only one that you need to please. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:40 pm

From another post:
citylights wrote:... Still thinking of a name to fit mine.

How about "Benroy Done That"? A play on "Been there, done that". You are almost done!
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:41 pm

What they said bud. Build on and keep updating, We be watchin' 8)
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:50 pm

High Desert wrote:What they said bud. Build on and keep updating, We be watchin' 8)

Yup! :yes:

I guess I can use the excuse that I'm a lady so I don't get overly interested until about now? :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby citylights » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:33 pm

Stoneykill, Kcstudley, Highdesert, Sheisley and everyone else looking on, thank you. I was just feeling a little lonely and discouraged today. All along my build, I kept thinking at every mistake, I will fix that later, a little touch up paint here, and a little trim there will cover all that up and make it pretty.

Well, today my soldering iron wasn't getting hot enough, so I broke out the torch and scorched the ceiling soldering the dome lights and after that I started rehashing all the mistakes and I came to the realization... I am not a master craftsman and there ain't enough paint at Home Depot to cover up all the mistakes I have made. (But, I will paint over the scorch marks.)

My only consolation is that it will be just like the rest of my life... sturdy, functional, and a bit rough around the edges.

Time to chill out with a brew. Cheers!
citylights
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:08 pm

If you have any doubts about whether people are watching, just take a look from the Build Journal Index information.
So far, you've had 52 entries and replies and 2,153 views! :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:05 pm

citylights wrote:Not that anybody cares for all the replies I am getting, but more progress to report. I guess i just post to this build log in in the hope that it might help someone else for their teardrop build. I have sure been grateful for all the build pictures and ideas an this site.

Exactly what I've thought for along time now. We're building our trailers for ourselves, but also try to share our accomplishments and/or failures with others that may benefit from our experiences as we have benefitted from others' shared with us. Even if my trailer and build experiences are a cautionary tale > "don't do this" > then I may have helped someone else, in a reversed sort of way. Keep on posting....
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:45 am

Count me as a watcher and admirer. Some of us live our dreams of building through watching. I haven't the patience myself but sure wish I did.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby sumo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:42 am

Looking good. Where did you get that cover for your power wire.
sumo
Teardrop Master

I scored!

Postby citylights » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:44 pm

sumo wrote:Looking good. Where did you get that cover for your power wire.

I was looking for teardrop parts at Las Vegas Trailer Supply. It is in an old part of town. On the back of the rack covered in dust behind all the $15 plastic ones were two stainless Marine Co. shore plugs. I picked one up and noticed it was $25 but for cable TV and phone. I asked the older lady stocking shelves if they had any of them for power. She looked at it and said "Oh honey, we haven't ordered any of those in 25 years." OK, more expensive than the plastic, but I think it would go well with an aluminum skin so I bought it.

I drilled out the cable TV and phone jacks and glued in a male extension cord repair kit from Home Depot. Then I looked them up on amazon, you can still get them for the low, low price of $160!!!

SCORE! :lol:

citylights
500 Club

Postby citylights » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:28 pm

I think I may have overdone the blocking on my hatch. That's OK, I don't want any spring back. I am off to get some laun to skin it.

citylights
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:44 pm

Keep on truckin' :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly