Alabama Vintage Build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Alabama Vintage Build

Postby Mbasaraba » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:29 pm

got the floor built from 1/2 ply and 2x4s. I know most use 1x4s but I wanted a bit of extra space between the wheel well and the floor. I will mount it to the bottom of the floor then brace it from under the trailer.

On a side note, I got a call from my dad back in North Dakota. They come down and spend a couple months down here in the winter. They picked up a older motor home with a 6.2 diesel and drove it down here a few months ago, they got 17-21 mpg, not bad at all. They decided they do not want the motor home, asked if we wanted it. I asked how much, and he said, its yours. **shrug**

Not something to go across the country in but it will fit our whole family IF we all decide to go, most times it is just my wife and I but for free how can I complain?

Matthew and Tammy Basaraba
North Central Alabama
My build thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55898
Mbasaraba
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:01 pm

:D Thats great for you. It'll be a nice apartment for when they, or others, visit too.
Don't let it distract you from your build project...
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:28 am

pchast wrote:Don't let it distract you from your build project...

Yes, "free" is seldom free.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Mbasaraba » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:38 pm

Been a very long time since I had been on or working on my camper. Lots of life in the way but time to get back started.

Original design scrapped and started over. Built my own tube roller and got some bows laid out.

Made one in steel but it was really heavy so rolled some aluminum bows. Now my 12 year old can lift it by himself.

North Central Alabama
Mbasaraba
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:15 pm

Mbasaraba wrote:
Made one in steel but it was really heavy so rolled some aluminum bows. Now my 12 year old can lift it by himself.

If you completed the steel frame, and didn't scrap it, then you might put it up for sale to an off-roads enthusiast, as either the internal frame for a trailer, or as an external protective "cage".
Last edited by working on it on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Mbasaraba » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:53 pm

working on it wrote:
Mbasaraba wrote:
If you competed the steel frame, and didn't scrap it, then you might put it up for sale to an off-roads enthusiast, as either the internal frame for a trailer, or as an external protective "cage"..

I plan to still skin it even though it will be too heavy for my Fiat Spider. A buddy of mine wants to buy it from me. We are going to work on skinning them together.

Has anyone tried using Expanded PVC board as skin? I got a source that has a full pallet of 5 x 12 sheets. It is really light but unsure how well it will hold up to UV.
North Central Alabama
Mbasaraba
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Build Journals