Vardo build 1st build

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Vardo build 1st build

Postby dodgedartgt » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:08 pm

Three things in common, I love vardos, chickens and ducks! But I also have turkeys... ha ha.

I was really impressed by Steve's build when I saw his thread. Too bad the trailer isn't still in FL. Can't get over how fast you're moving, barely two weeks. What is the interior height? If less than 6ft, I'm kinda suprised you didn't build a dropped floor for standing height. What do you plan to cover the roof with?

Mike in FL
dodgedartgt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:21 pm

stonykill wrote:spent a couple of hours on the Vardo today. The door is cut out, sanded and hung. Bondo'd up a ton of screw holes and seams as well.

it was hot and the baby ducklings (who were raised by a chicken) decided a nap in the pool was a good idea.

Ahhh! A true ugly duckling story. :lol: (...They are not ugly, though....)

...Looking forward to seeing more of your build! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby stonykill » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:24 pm

dodgedartgt wrote:Three things in common, I love vardos, chickens and ducks! But I also have turkeys... ha ha.

I was really impressed by Steve's build when I saw his thread. Too bad the trailer isn't still in FL. Can't get over how fast you're moving, barely two weeks. What is the interior height? If less than 6ft, I'm kinda suprised you didn't build a dropped floor for standing height. What do you plan to cover the roof with?

Mike in FL

interior height from memory is around 5 feet. Standing in a camper isn't important for us. It is a place to sleep and ride out thunder storms. That's it. I'm moving fast as I want a campable unit by the end of this month. It won't be done, but campable.

I have EPDM ordered and it will be here sometime this coming week.

We used to raise turkeys. In the future I want Narragansett turkeys.
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby stonykill » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:
stonykill wrote:
S. Heisley wrote::oops: Sorry. I don't know my birds.

Your explanation of the ledge now makes it perfectly clear...don't know why I didn't figure that out on my own! Good idea! :thumbsup:

lol Sumatra is her breed. Mama is a Blue Sumatra.

My wife saw Steve Cox's build and we measured up, and sure enough we could turn the bed sideways. ;)

Just so you will know. I built so a regular length mattress would fit sideways too. It was nice to sleep on a real bed when camping.

In hindsite I should have made this a few inches wider. Then a store bought mattress would have fit. We will untimately buy a piece of memory foam and cut a little off of the ends to make it fit.
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby Chuckles » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Nice work Stonykill!

I can't believe how fast your build is going! I thought the Cedar Shack was coming along fast but I'm moving like a turtle next to you. I don't know if I'll be camping by the end of the month but you sure will.

Chuckles
Chuckles
Teardrop Master

Postby stonykill » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:45 am

thanks Chuckles. I feel I went from crusing along to a snails pace. Darn life getting in the way of having fun :lol:
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby stonykill » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:30 pm

been working a couple of hours each day the last few days on the vardo. Nothing that will show up as incredible movement forward in pics but important stuff. Countersinking every screw and sealing every screw hole and joint with bondo. Working on prepping the roof for the EPDM etc. I hope to be putting the rubber on the roof on Saturday.

Since I didn't take any progress pics, and my band is on a "break" and I'm missing playing...here I am ( on the left) playing my main axe. One of many I have built.

stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby stonykill » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:23 pm

spent the better part of the day chasing down EPDM glue and prepping the Vardo for the roofing tomorrow.

and put the 8 inch wheels on it so it will fit out of the garage.
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby jeremymeehan » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:30 am

Getting ready to start by build on a vardo-ish 6x9 with galley in back. Where did you get your window? I'm looking for something like that now.
I'm enjoying watching your work - looks great!
Rookie. My Red Vardo Build 2013: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=56631
jeremymeehan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby stonykill » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:30 am

jeremymeehan wrote:Getting ready to start by build on a vardo-ish 6x9 with galley in back. Where did you get your window? I'm looking for something like that now.
I'm enjoying watching your work - looks great!

thanks!

shed window link

http://www.amazon.com/PlayHouse-Window-Brown-Chicken-Shed/dp/B005FLOQMW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1373711400&sr=8-4&keywords=shed+windows
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby stonykill » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:07 am

glad I put the 8 inch wheels on it. Made getting it out of the garage easier.

tongue weight so far is 60 lbs

it's 9am here. Time to eat.

the EPDM had a small hole in it. Luckily I was able to spin the sheet and have it in the waste section. Still the seller is going to hear about it. Not cool at all. Not cool.

More updates later.
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:24 am

Looking good! Are you going to switch to 12" wheels for traveling? Just wondering...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby stonykill » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:52 am

mikeschn wrote:Looking good! Are you going to switch to 12" wheels for traveling? Just wondering...

Mike...

it has 12 inch wheels. Look through the pics. I only put the short ones on to get it out of the garage. It was too tall with the 12's.
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby stonykill » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:53 am

well the roof is on AND it is raining pretty hard. Got that on JUST in time. I'll get pics later. I'm soaking wet.
stonykill
Teardrop Master

Postby stonykill » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:19 am

stonykill
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals